What did you forget?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jamesgilbert

Re: What did you forget?

Post by jamesgilbert »

+1 for me, I cycled 15 miles with my sunglasses sitting on top of one of the rear panniers before I noticed. Luckily the road wasn't too bumpy!
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

I forget to turn the iron off....go back and check and realise I hadnt used it.

Then I forget to lock the door properly or make sure Ive left the correct instructions for the neigbours.

......I dont actually forget to do any of that stuff....I just go about half a mile away from home and have to keep going back to check I have done it when I know perfectly well that I have done all the things several times.

I am getting worse at this...it is driving me loopy and it wouldnt be so bad but the neighbours have keys to my place (they dont need instructions anyway, they know how my house works better than I do!) and I have been known to call them and get them to check all this out too an hour after I have left!!

:?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I was out for a day ride and stopped for a break and to look at maps, put them on the rack and then rode off, I remember hearing the bag fall to the ground after 10 M or so but did not connect the two, Found my way that day and £25 lighter too, all local maps so some ones good find.
Cash AND cards, yes.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
jpc1003

Post by jpc1003 »

I once left my cycle shoes on the roof of my car in Derbyshire early one morning and was amazed to find them still there at Shap services on the M6 several hours later, very lightly wedged against the roof bars. That's a very sticky sole.

Not forgot, but must have left about 7 pairs of cycling glasses around the country, a hedge outside the Woodhall Spa Golf Club, Barra ferry terminal, Great Langdale campsite, on a boat crossing the Zuider Zee etc etc. Also left my favourite down jacket on an island in the middle of Lake Titicaca, a stove under my car in a campsite on Skye, a goretex jacket in a drying room in the Lake District and a Buffalo top on top of Mam Tor (though i did get that back).

I always write detailed lists before i go away, though that doesn't stop me randomly donating my stuff as I'm travelling around.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sunglasses, I have forgoten to put them on when stopped, then ridden of and gone back to find them still there, easy solution I simply use a glasses neck cord and clip the cord to my helmit, no dropping them on the road whilst moving.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
FatPunkOnBike

Post by FatPunkOnBike »

Last year my wife and I planned a mini tour and had to abandon after 10 miles due to snow and hail. We returned home and kept all our stuff packed. 2 days later the weather changed so we decided on a wee local tour. We arrived unpacked the tent and realised I had forgot the outer tent! Had the weather not forced us to abandon, we would have arrived after 60 miles from home with no outer tent. As it was we cadged a lift home, picked up the outer and all was well!! Doh!!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I once went off for a weekend and left the front door wide open. In inner London. Came back two days later and nothing had been touched.
toekneep

Post by toekneep »

Very rarely make this mistake due to meticulous packing list use. I did however get ten miles from home on a tour only to reaalise my two full water bottles were sitting on the kitchen worktop. Items that have to be put on the bike at the last minute are now highlighted in yellow. :wink:
bikehog164

Post by bikehog164 »

Forgot my map and got lost not remebering my route and not being able to find my way back for a good 4 hours. That was not fun. I asked a good 12/13 people for directions.
RonK

Post by RonK »

I've never forgotten anything. Use a packing checklist.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

RonK wrote:I've never forgotten anything. Use a packing checklist.
Must be nice to be perfect including having a perfect packing list.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
RonK

What did you forget?

Post by RonK »

Pete Jack wrote:
RonK wrote:I've never forgotten anything. Use a packing checklist.
Must be nice to be perfect including having a perfect packing list.

Yep - and practice is what makes perfect.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Got to my mates with my bike in the back of the car ready to set off from his. Front wheel was leaning up against the lamppost outside my house .
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
nez

Post by nez »

We need the distance for clarification ;-)