Pedals

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
karlb

Pedals

Post by karlb »

Hi Guys

I have put a couple of hundred miles on my Dawes Galaxy now and the only issue I have is with the pedals. I didn't want to use cleats as this would mean taking 2 pairs of shoes on tour. I have swopped the standard SPD pedals for ones with toe clips, but these are proving uncomfortable with the trekking shoes that I want to use.

What pedals does everyone else use?

Thanks for your advice

Karl
JamesE

Re: Pedals

Post by JamesE »

Trekking shoes = trainer-type walking shoes with a deep tread pattern on the soles? If so I'd recommend rat-trap style touring pedals. I use these plus a decent pair of walking shoes and the combination gives a very solid hold, as the side plates of the pedal slot firmly into the tread pattern of the shoes.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I use these with SPD MTB type shoes. They grip very well. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/aluminium-bi ... 75480.html

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

I use old trainers once the grip has worm flat + DMR flats. Can never remember which ones however, there's the V8s and V12s, I have both but loose track what's on what bike. I think the V12 have cartridge bearings, but the V8s have loose bearings with a grease port. Either way, yet to wear out a pair, or fettle em beyond pumping grease thru them. They grip fine too.

/edit - they're fine if you've got trainers with grips, however the studs will gouge holes in trainers over time.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I use DMR flats and have found them sturdy and comfortable. They work well with trainers and walking sandals and in winter with lightweight walking boots.

Or you can push the boat out and get a pair of FiveTens! The grip they offer with flats is extremely good and if you avoid the Herman Munster models, they're not bad to walk in.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Lambda for me.
Nice and wide for my boots. Very grippy too
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

karlb wrote:I didn't want to use cleats as this would mean taking 2 pairs of shoes on tour.

I solved the 2 pairs of shoes issue by switching to SPD sandals. Saves on carrying socks too.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm enjoying Vavert commuter/leisure flat pedals.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

This winter I have used rat trap pedals with Goretex Walking boots. I have plenty of grip, my feet are dry and warm,my Altura cycling trousers with the turn-up down keep me dry and if I spot a patch of ice or a glass-infested road I get off and walk.
Regards
hufty

Post by hufty »

Also available are powergrips and restraps. Have done many miles with Keen sandals and diagonal Restraps and it's a good combo IMO.

(My Keen Commuter III spd sandals are falling to bits now - not been a great purchase long term. A few Keen spd models are listed on the north american website but not on the .co.uk version)
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
robing

Post by robing »

Specialized Touring SPD shoes. Off the bike I wear cheap crocs from Matalan. Less than a fiver and very comfortable.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You are really set on making your trip less enjoyable aren't you? sore feet from wrong shoes/pedals and then no relief when you are off the bike or they are cold and wet! You really should take two pairs of footwear - even if the second pair are lightweight sandals/pool shoes, you could use half and half spd's with a cage on one side so you don't need your cycling shoes to ride.

I can't think of anything more miserable than uncomfortable feet, it could easily wreck your trip.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!