Canada to Mexico

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Canada to Mexico

Post by mnichols »

Having mapped and booked my tours for 2014, I'm starting to think about 2015.

I would like to cycle from Canada (Vancouver) to Mexico (border near San Diego).

I'm looking at the Adventure Cycling routes, and I'm leaning towards the inland route through Lake Tahoe, Yosemite (light green on the map link below), rather than the coast route through LA and San Francisco

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes- ... twork-map/

My questions are:

Does anyone know the total distance of this route?
What maps from adventure cycling do I need?
Is there a prevailing wind - should it be done north to south, or south to north?
What are the pros and cons of this route, over the coast route?
I may have to do this in the July/August - will it be too hot - if so what is the best time of year?
Is there an American equivalent of the CTC that I should be asking these questions on?

Sorry about the long list, but I am starting from scratch having never been to America before

Thanks
simonhill

Re: Canada to Mexico

Post by simonhill »

You may want to read this. Getting into Canada may be your first hurdle.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... ID=2381974
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mnichols wrote:I may have to do this in the July/August - will it be too hot - if so what is the best time of year?
I used to live about 40 miles inland of LA in what they call the Inland Empire along the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains. For most of the year local club rides would start at 7 am to be finished about noon or 1pm due to heat. Temperatures would easily be 100F plus the oven effect of the road. The coast would have temperatures maybe as much as 20 degrees lower. So it depends if you like heat or not.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

What would the weather be like in April?

Is there a significant difference between the weather in the North (Vancouver), South (San Diego), mountains and deserts?

What time of year is the best taking all of this into consideration, and given that we will need to be cycling through the middle of the day?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

South - by the end of March I could stroll around at lunchtime with temperatures in the low 80s.
North - it is similar to UK southern counties.
Think of it as - Vancouver is a similar latitude to UK south coast, San Diego is a similar latitude to Marrakech.
lisap

Post by lisap »

Hi I have ridden the Pacific Coast on three occasions now. Once in December from San Francisco to LA. The weather was lovely, suprisingly only one foggy day and the road was so quiet I had it to myself for most of the time. Vancouver to San Francisco in May when once again I had the most beautiful weather. The Candians kept on commenting how they never had heat waves in May and I didn't get one drop of rain the whole way. Last year I did Vancouver to San Diego in one go late august to early October. The weather in the northern states was muggy and mild, shorts and tee shirt riding and it only got truly hot once in California. It took 6 weeks door to door so to speak.

The traffic is heavier during the summer because of all the holiday makers and you won't be alone as it is a well trodden route for cyclists and the facilities for us at the national and state parks are excellent. Hot showers, cheap campsites and hiker/biker sites where everyone gets to know everyone else. As a first trip to the US it is a good option.

If you have never been to the US before you will encounter wild animals even on the coast. Raccoons are vicious little bleeders and will rip your belongings to pieces if you so much as leave one iota of food close to your tent. They ain't scared of humans and they can carry rabies so be careful. Prevention is better than cure. The parks provide bear boxes so use them, don't leave rubbish lying around which encourages them and never ever feed them. Last year I had a coyote less than 50 yards from my tent at a park just north of Malibu, he was looking for water and although they are generally shy when they howl at night it sounds eerily close and quite spooky. If you come across a skunk don't antagonise it. Having been skunked in New Mexico I wouldn't recommend it but if you are tomato juice is the only thing that gets the smell out.

If you don't like being chased by dogs carry a pepper spray, it's called Halt and you can get it from most outdoor or cycling stores. None of the above is meant to put you off but you have to be prepared for the wildlife.

If you are planning to take the inland route over the Sierra Nevadas from Vancouver the first few days are up some very big hills. I did the start of the route in June and there was still snow and I got caught in a blizzard. It took me 10 hours to go 30 miles and it was colder coming down the other side than it was going up.

I haven't ridden the Sierra route before but have done the Great Divide. June to August. Snow on the mountains to over 100 degrees in the desert. I had to carry kit for all eventualities and it was hard work. The Sierras are all road rather than off road but you will still encounter bears and elk. Carry a bear spray, use the bear boxes or carry a bear barrel.

For your maps have a look at the ACA website as they list distances per map and total per map set. They are expensive to buy but fantastic to use. If you PM me I can send you a spare one to give you an idea of how they work as they aren't the same as normal road maps.

I'm sure there is loads I have missed out and don't worry about getting into Canada. I've done it three times and never had a problem. Vancouver is a cyclist city and full of outdoor stores, MEC on Broadway being the best. I have always stayed at the Coast Hotel on Marine Drive as it is two blocks from the Oak Street Bridge which gets you on the route and on the bus route to MEC.

Whichever route you chose you will have a blast. Happy planning.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

August is a good time to do the mountains, if you take the inland route as the passes are guaranteed to be clear and not too cold. Even in August, however high passes can be as cold as an English winter; worse if there is inclement weather.

If you go in April, you will have to take the coastal route, as some mountain passes may not yet be open. Even if they are, you would have to be prepared for winter conditions.

August will be very hot in some parts of the southwest, and particularly any desert areas, or south of the Bay area.

So, as lisap said, you need to be prepared for everything from winter to desert conditions. I've done most of the coastal route, and recommend it. I can't compare it to an inland route, though, as I haven't done any cycling to speak of inland in the western states.

Vancouver has weather similar to the south of the UK. San Diego isn't really like Marrakesh, though, despite similar latitude. The weather is *much* milder in San Diego, and can even be fairly cool on an August afternoon. It is sunnier than the south of the UK, but summer temperatures only a few degrees warmer.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks Both for the thorough replies

Still not sure what the best time of year is though?

Is it that if the mountains in sierra nevadaare passable then the deserts are too hot?

If so, should I avoid the sierra navada, and maybe go in may or June?

BTW, will be staying in motels not camping
lisap

Post by lisap »

If you are doing the PC then September onwards is the best time of year. Little if any fog and once the kids go back to school after Labor Day which is the first weekend in September the roads are quieter.

If you are doing the Sierra route don't go before June as the mountain passes can still be blocked by snow and may not be open. Even if you plan to motel it you will have to be sell sufficient for all emergencies. It's not like cycling through Europe to the UK, there can be long stretches without services so go prepared.

The ACA run their tours at the optimum times, they have had years of practice. If in doubt look at their tour schedule and plan your trip around theirs. The maps have a section on the back which relate to each strip with accommodation, grocery stores, hospitals, libraries and eateries on them. Great resource and kept up to date by an online addendum which you can look at on the go. But, don't expect great phone service if any in the mountains or the back of beyond.

If you are planning the Sierra route I'm not sure how easy it will be to get motels whereas on the PC they are everywhere and cheap at around $50 a night. You may hit extremes of weather which ever route you take. Yes at night it will be cold 8,000 ft up a mountain but if you are in a motel it won't matter and you can plan not to be at the top of a mountain at night. In the lower valleys it can be very hot but as long as you drink plenty and use tons of sunscreen again you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

If you think of anything else please ask.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks

Done lots of touring in Europe and in the Mountains but none outside. Can you clarify what you mean by "be prepared"?

I normally travel/tour light and fast: 15 to 20mph, and so planning to do around 100 miles per day, possibly more. Have done a few 14 day tours like this in Europe
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mnichols wrote:Thanks

Done lots of touring in Europe and in the Mountains but none outside. Can you clarify what you mean by "be prepared"?

50 miles from anywhere with a mechanical? Faced the choice of walking all night or camping because you can't get anywhere except a closed petrol station and the temperature is approaching zero? Or a mechanical in the desert and limited water?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
lisap

Post by lisap »

As Vorpal says.

I got caught out in the Pacific Northwest. I was towing so had all the equipment I needed. I was wearing fleece under clothes, cycling longs, long sleeve tops, gloves and full set of waterproofs with over shoes. It was the summer and I still got hypothermia. I was on a mountain pass with little traffic and had another pass to go with no phone coverage. Had to go back to the last campsite for help.

Given your experience you would be fine on either route you would just need to take a lot more with you on the Sierras for that just in case moment.

Distances I think the PC is about 1800 miles and the Sierra is a bit further as you ride from Vancouver inland and then at the end towards the coast to San Diego.

Adventure Cycling is as close as you will get to the CTC but better. I am biased though being an ACA member :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've had to camp spontaneously a couple of times; once after a horrid day of rain and punctures, with no camping equipment. I managed to find a little shelter, and I did have some waterproof matches, so I could make a fire, but it wasn't a comfortable night.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Wow. Does sound very different from the UK. I may have under estimated the logistics, as I have just been thinking about the physical prep. Lots of time to think and prepare though and two good tours to look forward to in the meantime.

The feedback/advice has been really valuable

Can you recommend any books on the "be prepared" bit as this will all be new?
lisap

Post by lisap »

I can't think of any books that detail the Sierras route but 99% of people riding the coast use Bicycling the Pacific Coast, A complete route guide Canada to Mexico by Vicky Spring and Tom Kirkendall, fourth edition. The ACA maps send you on a slightly different route through some quite built up naval areas but they do miss the Astoria bridge by going inland via cathlamet.

The book is worth having a look at just to give you an idea of the route which is fairly easy (there are no mountains, just big hills) but it is geared towards the camping cyclist. I think there is a kindle version.

Really common sense applies when you are in the back country.