Canada to Mexico

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Swallow

Re: Canada to Mexico

Post by Swallow »

'Kernow bys Vyken'
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Even though some of the roads in central Oregon are labelled 'scenic' but they aren't really. You could end up riding lots of miles in corridors of trees and not able to see much at all. The coast is a better bet it's really wild and you are right on it. Going N to S enables you to see everything. Going the other way you are on the wrong side of the road for the views. On top of that chances are you'll have tail winds. There's a very good book on touring in Oregon: Cycling Sojourner It's a nice adjunct to the ACA maps. If you're going to be in the Seattle area send me a PM I may be able to keep you company for a few miles.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks for the posts. All advice is good advice on the basis that I have never been to Canada or America before

Out of Vancouver we are going to do a bit of island hopping and get the ferry to Victoria
From Victoria we head West around the Olympic National Park and follow USA 101 (forever) down to (almost) Eureka
Just before Eureka we head East through Willow Creek (a highlight for me - BigFoot Country!) to Reading
From Reading we carry on West, past Lassen Volcanic Park to Chester/Lake Almanaor
From there we head South to Lake Tahoe and Topaz Lake
From there we go West through the Stanislaus National Forest to put our selves on the West Side of Yosemite
Then we turn East again through Yosemite, and do a detour around the Lakes and Mountains - June Lake, Mono Lake, etc
Then we head South (and a bit East) down the side of Death Valley - and hopefully dip in at least once (detour more like)
From there we go to Victorville, Big Bear Lake, Hemet and Ramona
From Ramona it's a hop skip and jump to Tijuana and back to San Diego
I don't think we will actually go into Mexico, unless it's to dip the wheel over the border

I'll order the books that people have recommended

What do I need to take to fend off the local wild like Bears, Wolves, Dogs, Big Foot, etc?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Pete Jack wrote:Try to land in Lee Vining on a Sunday if you're lucky as I was they'll have live music at the gas station (free) which has superb food at the Whoa Nellie Deli You won't find anything like it in Europe or the rest of the US for that matter.

Thanks Peter. This is on the route, so will definitely try to stop there :D
lisap

Post by lisap »

If you are island hopping make sure to get the BC Experience ferry card as it offers discounted travel. Bikes are usually on the bottom deck and you can stay with the bike while the ferry is sailing. The ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles will involve customs to enter the US but they are very friendly and last time I went through the officer gave me an address and telephone number of relatives living in San Diego if I needed a place to stay before flying out.

Once in Port Angeles the town rises uphill but there are motels away from the port as you cycle up the Main Street and cheaper than by the ferry. I stayed at the Far View Motel as it was pouring, it has a laundry and is opposite the Albertsons grocery store. When you leave Port Angeles make sure you use the Olympic Discovery Trail to ride off road as far as possible. If you are going west round the coast expect rain.

There will be bears but as long as you are sensible and use the bear boxes in the parks if you are camping it will be fine. Don't have toiletries, any food at all or anything smelly except you in the tent. Quite honestly you will have more problems with marauding raccoons than bears and they are vicious little whatsits so don't mess with them. My last trip they attacked a group of campers and tore rucksacks from tents to get to toothpaste. Never ever ever leave food or cooking utensils in camel backs or panniers if they are near your tent, put them in the bear boxes provided.

Never seen wild dogs but the domestic variety can be nasty. Get a pepper spray or Halt dog spray from the outdoor store called MEC in Vancouver. It's on Broadway and simple to get to. You might see a coyote if your lucky but they are very shy.

You are certainly going to have to get a shift on to do the trip in 25 days but then I only do 50 to 60 miles a day and like to take my time. The official end point in San Diego by the border is a sight to see. A lovely large open park the U.S. side and a sea of white houses on a hillside on the other with a massive bull ring going down the the sea. The security fence goes out into the sea itself and there are patrol boats and border patrol 4x4's everywhere.

I know it's a long time to wait till you go but it will fly by and I hope you have a fantastic trip.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks lisap :D