Canada to Mexico

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Re: Canada to Mexico

Post by mnichols »

My friend that I will be travelling with doesn't want to do the coast route (my preference) as he thinks that cycling through LA, San Francisco, etc will be too busy

Can anyone comment on this? What is the route like, is it cycle lanes, quiet roads, or big freeways?
lisap

Post by lisap »

You won't actually cycle through either city. You will cycle from the Marin headland down through Saulsilito on to the Golden Gate Bridge and then turn right towards Daly City and through the Devils Slide tunnel. It's a mix of bike paths and normal suburban roads. The tunnel is brilliant and takes out a really dangerous section. There are only two other tunnels on the route and the second one is so short if you blink you miss it. The first one is a bit hairy as it is uphill but there is a bike warning light that you hit before entering which warns vehicles your in there. Obviously you need to be well lit as well.

From just north of Malibu the road hugs the coast with million dollar homes on your right. The biggest threat here is their wheels bins. I rode it on bin day last year and it was a nightmare but once you get to Santa Monica it is bike paths all the way for miles. You also ride along the big concrete lined river towards Long beach which they always use for car chases in the films, it smells a it and can be windy but there are loads of pelicans to watch.

The only really bad day for traffic was the second to last day but it wasn't as bad as riding in London for instance.

You are only on the freeway for about 5 miles as it is only allowed if there is no alternative route. It's no problem at all the shoulders are as wide as our roads. Your greatest threat is from shredded tyres which throw up slithers of wire which puncture your tyres.

On the inland route the road challenges are entirely different as there are fewer/smaller shoulders and huge logging trucks.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

San Francisco is fine. I haven't cycled much further south, but there wasn't any cycling in city traffic in SF. As lisap says, bike paths and quiet streets. There were a couple of suburban town centres, but they were fine.

As for be prepared, carry a decent folding knife & multi-tool, some water purification tablets, waterproof matches, and one or two large heavy-duty bin bags, minimum. The bin bags can be used to keep water off, as an axtra layer outside clothing, or to make a little canopy (strung between bikes?) to keep the rain off. You can also use a space blanket. Space blankets have the reflective surface; in theory, they will hold body heat better, but the thinnest, lightest ones have almost no insulating capabilty. Bin bags, on the other hand do have some insulating capability, though they don't have the reflective surface.

As for clothes, take what you think you need for the coldest weather, plus one layer. Then, if you get stuck somewhere just put all of your clothes on. That and a space blanket or bin bag should be enough to keep from hypothermia, anyway. With a fire, & a bin bag canopy or lean-to it might even approach comfortable.

I can't recommend any particular survivalist guides, or anything, though. Maybe try your local library?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Norsman

Post by Norsman »

I have done the Pacific Coast trip and absolutely loved it. I think it may be the best route in North America, certainly the nicest I have done. It is reasonably hilly but nothing like the Sierra Cascade route you are contemplating. I did the ride in September/October averaging about 50 miles a day with only about 3 days of rain in a month and a half. Almost everyone rides the route north to south because of the prevailing winds. Both the Spring/Kirkendall book and the ACA maps are very good. I used the book for Washington and Oregon and the ACA maps for California. The maps show you a route through both San Fran and LA that avoids most of the traffic issues. Although I did not like the ride out of San Fran through the Devil's Slide area.

I liked the book's route through Washington much better that the ACA route. The ACA route seems totally designed to avoid the Astoria Bridge. I crossed it and did not find it to be a big issue. It is long and does not have a great shoulder but the traffic was not that heavy and came in spurts because of the traffic light at the north end. There is a very good free bike route map available for Oregon that I found very useful.

If you can average 80 to 100 miles a day you will not have any issues about finding motels.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks Norsman
lisap

Post by lisap »

There is no need to worry about the Devils Slide any longer. The old road has been closed and a new wide, well lit and well ventilated tunnel put in its place. It is almost a pleasure to ride in a tunnel :D

There are plans to turn the old road into a purpose built recreational trail and there was talk that it would be completed this year but I haven't seen anything to confirm that.
Norsman

Post by Norsman »

lisap wrote:There is no need to worry about the Devils Slide any longer. The old road has been closed and a new wide, well lit and well ventilated tunnel put in its place.

The biggest issue was the ride up to the tunnel. The shoulders were very narrow, the traffic heavy and the road side foliage blocked the view of approaching drivers. My understanding is that the road below the tunnels has not been improved. I think my problems were made worse by the time of day I rode up the hill - the evening rush hour. Find a better time if you can.
lisap

Post by lisap »

Norseman you are correct it can be busy at times but I found the drivers to be very considerate. They have always been very patient and made allowances for a huffing puffing wide beamed lady towing a trailer :D
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Did the Sierra Cascades ACA route a couple of years ago. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/petejack02. There's a Q & A at the start you may want to check out. I ran into blocked passes in June! If a pass is on a Forest Service road check with the FS to make sure it's open. Budget cuts in the FS mean they don't plow as much as they used to. You'll have no such issues on the coast route. I recommend both the S-C and the Coast route, particularly now the Devil's Slide is gone. I once broke down on that thing, a weird chain jam, and it was a nightmare. Either way you'll have fun.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've finished my tours for 2014 and starting to plan 2015 now

Would starting at the end of September and finishing mid/late October be too late for this tour (Vancouver to San Diego inland through the national parks) judging by previous comments it would seem not but would like to check.

Also, does anyone know what the road surfaces are like in Death Valley (traveling North to South)?
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I rode across the North Cascades, the start of the Sierra Cascades route, in October and it was grim. Would definitely not recommend it. Further south you may run into snow and /or sleet at higher elevations at that time of year. The coast route is eminently doable but rain is always a possiblity at that time of year just like home. Can't help with Death Valley I'm afraid.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mnichols wrote:Would starting at the end of September and finishing mid/late October be too late for this tour (Vancouver to San Diego inland through the national parks) judging by previous comments it would seem not but would like to check.

It's feasible, but if you don't like cold & rain, it's probably not a good idea. Also, as Pete Jack says, at high altitudes, one can already find snow & sleet that time of year. Expect autumnal weather from Vancouver to the San Fransisco Bay area. South of there, you will probably still get nice weather.

That is just early enough that you can still get lucky with the weather, so it might be okay, but it's more likely to be cool and wet. Look at both average rain fall and temperatures for the places you will go, and the ranges.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Flights and motels are now booked for September 2015

Route of my own devising from Vancouver to San Diego. 2200 miles over 25 days. Down the coast to Astoria then west to Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley, Mexican Border to San Diego

Any hints or tips, gotchas or things that I wouldn't have come across in Europe?
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Try to land in Lee Vining on a Sunday if you're lucky as I was they'll have live music at the gas station (free) which has superb food at the Whoa Nellie Deli You won't find anything like it in Europe or the rest of the US for that matter. This gas station is at the start of the lovely climb up to Yosemite.

I'm curious; how are you getting across Oregon? It might behoove you to ride down the coast to somewhere near the CA border the head over to Ashland from where you can join the SC route to Tahoe etc.. FWIW Ashland has one of only two hostels on the whole of the SC. The other is in Big Bear City and was booked solid when I went through.

When you get to San Diego be very careful, the ACA route crosses several freeways and you have to cross their on ramps. I found that drivers were getting their feet down speeding up for the freeway and not paying much attention to anything. I ended up getting off and walking across said on ramps. Even though I had a mirror the cars were so fast that getting off the bike and acting like a pedestrian was the only way I could be sure there was nothing hurtling at me

The Oregon coast is magnificent.
Norsman

Post by Norsman »

Route of my own devising from Vancouver to San Diego. 2200 miles over 25 days. Down the coast to Astoria then west to Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley, Mexican Border to San Diego

I too would recommend that you go the Coastal route as far south as you can to still be able to cross over to Lake Tahoe. The Oregon coast is beautiful and the hiker/biker sites are great, inexpensive places to stay and meet other cyclists. If you cut in at Astoria you will have seen very little of the West Coast. Washington roads do not follow the coastline.

Which route are you using to get south from Vancouver?