Aeropress Coffee Maker

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BeeKeeper

Aeropress Coffee Maker

Post by BeeKeeper »

I know it was discussed here last year (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=74598&hilit=aeropress&start=15) but I recently bought one of these and it is great. The basic kit weighs 228g which is light enough to cart around for touring I think. Of course you would need to take ground coffee as well but that isn't too heavy.

I got it for use at home as we are not on mains sewage so we are not supposed to chuck coffee grounds down the sink. The Aeropress produces a little puck of compressed grounds which are easy to dispose of in the recycling bin, but this also makes it very easy to clean afterwards, another plus for touring.

I shall certainly take it with me on the next camping trip.

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/

There are videos on how it works, although I have found I only need half the amount of coffee they suggest.
DaleFTW

Re: Aeropress Coffee Maker

Post by DaleFTW »

I've took mine a couple of times. Bulky though.
serbring

Post by serbring »

how does coffe taste?
georgew

Post by georgew »

serbring wrote:how does coffe taste?

It gives a nice, clean-tasting cup of coffee. That said I prefer a Moka pot.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

BeeKeeper wrote:http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/
There are videos on how it works, although I have found I only need half the amount of coffee they suggest.

Have you discovered the upside-down method, as shown here?
http://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/brew-gui ... brew-guide
How much coffee you need depends upon how long you leave it before you press it, which has a major effect on the taste too. Some people like a 4 min contact time, but we prefer something more like the 40sec contact time as indicated in the usual instructions.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

iviehoff wrote:Have you discovered the upside-down method, as shown here?

That looks a good tip. I will try that, should reduce the "dribbling".
mjr

Post by mjr »

iviehoff wrote:Have you discovered the upside-down method, as shown here?
http://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/brew-gui ... brew-guide

They wet the filter but I don't see them put it on at any point... :shock:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

The Aeropress. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Ahem.

I wouldn't give the Aeropress a second chance. Useless after 6 months.

Aside from it's low weight and initial ability to make a clean cup of coffee, I feel as if I have wasted nearly £30. After 6 months the rubber seal has degraded to a point where it leaks in the 'upright' position or collapses in the 'inverted' position. As for the mess it makes: All very well in a campsite but I'm fed up with the extra wiping up I have to do in my kitchen

For the cost of postage, you are welcome to any spares: funnel, chamber, paddle, filters and holder. PM if you'd like anything.

For the extra few grams I'm back to my Bialetti....b
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

That's not good to hear H
Think I'd be inclined to take it back.
I bought mine in June last year and has been used daily since. Showing no sign of degradation I can see at the moment. Still a clean way to brew and dispose of grounds. Always used inverted after the first week.
Are there different manufacturers of the Aeropress?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

you guys know the Porlex grinder (small) fits inside the Aeropress body?
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

drink TEA
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Heltor Chasca wrote:The Aeropress. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Ahem.

I wouldn't give the Aeropress a second chance. Useless after 6 months.

Aside from it's low weight and initial ability to make a clean cup of coffee, I feel as if I have wasted nearly £30. After 6 months the rubber seal has degraded to a point where it leaks in the 'upright' position or collapses in the 'inverted' position. As for the mess it makes: All very well in a campsite but I'm fed up with the extra wiping up I have to do in my kitchen

For the cost of postage, you are welcome to any spares: funnel, chamber, paddle, filters and holder. PM if you'd like anything.

For the extra few grams I'm back to my Bialetti....b

That's surprising, they have a good reputation and the seal is very beefy. Mines been faultless for well over a year and mess free, coffee in the top ( inverted method) water in, wait a short while then plunge. Then compressed pick is than ejected in to the bin with zero mess. Mines been so good I've retired my gaggia, while the aeropress can't make espresso I find it so quick and easy. Are you sure it's a genuine aeropress?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mine's genuine, years old and still works AFAIK, but the plastic has crazed. It's OK but I'm not sure it was worth the price. Anything's better than bad coffee, but I think the old filter cones are good enough for me!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Heltor Chasca

Aeropress Coffee Maker

Post by Heltor Chasca »

A friend of mine runs a rescue-home for unwanted Aero-presses, in Easton, Bristol. I'm sending it off to him for re-hab. I'm keeping my Bialetti...b

EDIT: All parts sent to a new home in other words....b
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

:lol: Had to give up on rescuing HedgeHogs - they all left in disgust one day after I revealed my plans to start charging for their meals - have you seen the price of fresh earth-worms these days?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)