Longest UK off-road surfaced cycle route?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Longest UK off-road surfaced cycle route?

Post by mjr »

Mistik-ka wrote:An enthusiastic +1 for the Cambridge - St. Ives busway path — the most enjoyable section of a thousand-mile circuit of England we did by tandem bike last spring.

And it's getting longer too! The extension east of Milton Road is under construction (might be finished since I last heard), then there'll be some faffing around through Ditton Meadows to avoid the short-sighted Cambridge Retail Park development and a path by the railway will connect to the southern busway cycle track out to Trumpington, with a fork for Addenbrooke's and the DNA path.

Now, if only they'd remove the grey stealth bollards... ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
juice

Post by juice »

They are constructing a bike route mainly traffic free north from Oban that will go to Inverness.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Trans pennine route must be a good candidate.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It has rather a mish-mash of surfaces and it's not all off road. I guess it's a question of how strictly we interpret the title question.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I'm nominating the Brampton Valley Way - 22 miles from Market Harborough to the outskirts of Northampton although it's 'hard packed rock dust' for most of its length but it's perfectly rideable in most weathers, though the surface in the two tunnels (yes - tunnels! Both unlit) are getting to be in need of TLC. Rarely busy, very rural, and a great alternative to the busy, hilly road.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

This is a great thread, worth pinning down somewhere? I really want to try that busway, sounds fascinating...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Rittmeister

Post by Rittmeister »

Not strictly a cycle route, but certainly doable on a MTB and my friend completed the route on his non-suspension hybrid. We rode from Leeds to Leigh in Greater Manchester along the Leeds to Liverpool Canal and did not go on the road at all. I have written it up on my blog here. http://www.leisurecyclist.com/#!Leeds-t ... f698139fae

In terms of urban areas, Stoke-on-Trent has an excellent off-road network due to the disused loop railway lines around the boroughs and the Chester Loop lines are a great spot especially along the River Dee. In my opinion, the best cycle path in England!

For those that have never rode along the Cambridgeshire Busway, it is well worth a day trip. The one in Gosport is also an excellent place to ride along too. Although, it is not ideal having to battle the Eclipse buses as they pass by at speed.