Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BeardyWeirdy

Re: New Route Planner

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

Hi Richard

I really like your mapping system -it seems to choose good routes - the best I have found

I have a couple of feature request - is there a way to reverse a route? Often I use circular routes, and there is a good reason to do it one way or the other, I tend to go into the wind and uphill first!

The other is saving elevation in the pdf saves either for the entire route or section by section - it would be handy for me

Thanks again
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Quick Q.
My route to work includes part of the Bristol to Bath Cycle Path :-) - why does cycle.travel not want me to go through Staple Hill tunnel? Is the algorythm afraid of: i) the dark, ii) the damp or iii) the pigeon droppings? :wink:
To tunnel - or not to tunnel?
To tunnel - or not to tunnel?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

From the NCR4 route shown, it looks like the openstreetmap loaded into cycle.travel dates from some point during the seven months of the six week closure. http://cyclingfront.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... -bbrp.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The data's now fresh again (UK up now, Europe churning away on my server-that-sounds-like-Concorde-taking-off as I speak). It would have been a little earlier had I not discovered an issue with the routing profile and had to rerun the whole process!

BeardyWeirdy - I'm working on a 'reverse route' option and should have it live before long. Getting elevation in the PDF will be a little trickier but a great idea - will see what I can do.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

I have enjoyed all the routes it has suggested so far, thanks for a great bit of software

BW
juice

Post by juice »

It's a great web site. Only one problem for me is how to export the gpx file. In safari on an ipad it's a text file.
Any ideas?
Sorry if it's been done I haven't read all 8 pages.
mjr

Post by mjr »

juice wrote:It's a great web site. Only one problem for me is how to export the gpx file. In safari on an ipad it's a text file.
Any ideas?

It might be the server sending the wrong file type, but I think I would have spotted that, so it's more likely safari being dim. gpx files are indeed basically text files where the content follow certain rules. It's been a while since I used an ipad, but does long-clicking offer a download option or something useful?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

juice wrote:It's a great web site. Only one problem for me is how to export the gpx file. In safari on an ipad it's a text file.
Any ideas?

On my Mac \ Safari, I do, File > Save... can you do that on an iPad?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Just recreated the route - under we go...
All that Concorde whirring has done the trick :-)
home via the tunnel
home via the tunnel
S
Richard Fairhurst

mjr wrote:It might be the server sending the wrong file type, but I think I would have spotted that, so it's more likely safari being dim. gpx files are indeed basically text files where the content follow certain rules. It's been a while since I used an ipad, but does long-clicking offer a download option or something useful?

It is Safari being dim. The technical explanation is that the GPX file is generated in the browser rather than on the server, and Safari (uniquely) doesn't give you the option of a download for such content: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102914 . I'll look at implementing it on the server just for Safari users!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I'll look at implementing it on the server just for Safari users!
That would be a nice touch, Richard, but in the mean time I can cope with saving the page! :-)
S
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

As a Mac/Safari user my solution has been to keep a copy of (free) Firefox on my computer exclusively for running cycle-travel's route planner. It's a mild inconvenience but, for me, well worth it.
juice

Post by juice »

Thanks for the advice on exporting GPX files.
I use an iPhone as a gps, one problem with web based apps is using them where there is no signal, where I ride this is often.. I currently use an app called mapout which I think uses the open cycle/streets maps. It has the capacity to allow the user to download sections of the map for offline use.
Could this be done with this app.
JBB

Post by JBB »

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but no matter what I try I cannot get it to route onto N roads in Spain . I'm pretty sure these are legal to use. It's the A roadsthat are motorways I think?
Richard Fairhurst

Hm, that's awkward. In the rest of Europe, roads tagged as highway=trunk in OpenStreetMap are closed to bikes. It looks like Spain is the exception. I'll see if I can find a workaround.

juice: I'd very much like to build an iPhone app; it'll be a fairly big project so I can't promise it this summer, but in the meantime you can load cycle.travel's GPX files into MapOut by registering with them and then emailing the files to the special email address they give you.