Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LollyKat

Re: New Route Planner

Post by LollyKat »

sore thumb wrote:Just did a route with the planner. For a commute of around 17 miles into birmingham.

I was looking at roads that are not too busy with traffic but provide a reasonable fast route for a cyclist as I average around 18 mph.

However the planner comes up with cycle paths and canal paths and my route has gone up from 17 miles to 20 miles. And a time from 2hrs 30mins when I could really do it in around an hour I think.

Is there anyway to put in my average speed so the planner removes slow routes but keep me off the 'main busy road sections' ?

Thoughts?

Have you tried Cyclestreets? It gives you a choice of three routes - fast, medium and slow. Not that I want to detract from Richard's work, which I find very useful, but sometimes it is good to have alternatives.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Richard, I looked at your App months ago when you first mentioned it. Tried it again this morning with OSM and I must say I was well impressed. So easy to generate a great route and pass it through and then let OSM give you directions as you ride. Pretty seamless compared with other things I have tried. I loved the local ride suggestions to local pubs, tea shops and fine houses too. I shall have a go at some of them. Keep up the good work...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Miles_Back

Post by Miles_Back »

Richard my wife and I have just completed a ride from Shropshire down to Lazio in central Italy using your software. Your planning system took us along some great routes in France, most notably a fabulous cycle path into Grenoble.

In certain parts of NW Italy there was less choice of roads due to the nature of the terrain, as a result we had no choice but to use busy roads for short distances. However, a memorable moment in this part was using a quiet but hilly road in Liguria, at the summit we were greeted by a sign saying this was a route used by Fausto Coppi and his brother Serse in the 1950's. Wow!!

Thanks for the great software, which really made our tour interesting and highly memorable.

Miles Back
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Hi Richard,
I just tried to look at routes in Shetland, but I can't move the map any further north than Fitful Head
(I can, but as soon as I take my finger off the mouse button, it just moves back again).
houndlegs

Post by houndlegs »

Is anyone having trouble using this at the moment?
I'm trying to plan a few rides, but this keeps happening;I log in,plan my ride,press save,nothing happens and I'm logged back out. I can log back in as normal, but if I try to plan/save again, it just logs me back out.
Same thing happens if I log in via Facebook.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yes. There's some discussion on the forum on that site if you click Feedback in the footer - if you can stay logged in long enough to comment...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
houndlegs

Post by houndlegs »

Thanks mjr. I'll have a nosey there.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

On-going technical issue, I'm afraid - I'm working pretty much flat-out trying to nail it down but no success as yet. Fingers crossed.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Richard Fairhurst

It seems to be happy again now (phew).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cool! Well Done :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Richard Fairhurst

As of today it offers routes for the US and Canada. A pretty massive endeavour as OSM data in the US is of... variable quality, and something marked as a 'primary road' can cover anything from a quiet backwoods route to a highway with hundreds of trucks an hour! So just as with the UK routing, I'm using traffic data to prioritise the quietest routes. Hope it's useful - as ever, all feedback very welcome.
johnmillward74

Post by johnmillward74 »

Looks quite interesting - be good to see some further developments though with additional route options and support for longer rides. I have just tried Calais to Montpellier and can't see the elevation profile. A good start though :)
John Millward - Cycling Adventures
http://timetogetouttahere.co.uk
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

johnmillward74 wrote:I have just tried Calais to Montpellier and can't see the elevation profile

"Sorry, that route's too long to show an elevation profile. Please split it into chunks of less than 500 miles each."
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I'm having trouble with addresses in Manchester. I've plotted a route to my Parents and was using cycle.travel to see if shorter better alternatives to my manual effort were available. I can place a finishing point, but when I ask it to find Windermere Avenue, Denton, Manchester it just takes me to the USA.
Richard Fairhurst

Geocoders (the programs that turn placenames into latitude/longitude co-ordinates) are universally a nightmare. I started off using OpenStreetMap's standard Nominatim, but that's pretty slow, so moved to a faster Nominatim-based program called Photon. It's ok but can be a bit fussy about surrounding placenames.

I've had a play with your example and it turns out to like "Windermere Avenue, Tameside" or "Windermere Avenue, Guide Bridge" but not Manchester, for some reason. I'll dig around a bit more and get a bug report to the Photon developers.

John - elevation profiles for long routes is on the to-do list; right now it has a 500-mile limit because the amount of data returned would just be so large, but I'm planning to make it 'downsample' for longer routes (so it only takes an elevation point every 500m, for example). Hopefully will have something in a week or two!