Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stu1102

Re: New Route Planner

Post by stu1102 »

I notice that Richard has now included large parts of Europe that can be 'route planned' using ;
http://cycle.travel/map

Like so:

well done Richard, absolutely excellent :)
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Thanks!

Adding Europe's been more challenging than I thought it would be - the huge amount of data involved has been a bit of a stress on the server. :) But it's giving me all sorts of ideas for cycling trips...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I tried a route from Aviemore to Braemar, just to see what it did, and it came up with a crossing of the Lairig Ghru.

When I checked the photos to see what the path was like, it turned out that the whole of the Lairig Ghru was a single 13-mile section between Piccadilly and the Derry Burn, and that showing the photos anywhere along the section gave the same selection of photos in the same order, so you'd got to go through all 75 of them to check out any one part.
Would it be possible to sort the photos so that those closest to the click location were shown first?

(also on YACF topic)
Richard Fairhurst

Yep - have now done that!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Thanks, that was quick!

Showing photos at the top of the pass now shows what it's really like :D
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2256996
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I'm bringing up an older thread in case Richard is listening:

cycle.travel often struggles to generate a circular route. I thought I was just unlucky with a particular start/end point but for me it seems to be more often than not I get a "Sorry - couldn't find a circular route. Try a different destination or a longer route." message.

Let's say Woking to Dorking (anywhere in those towns) - no luck. Or to Ashtead (so I can try out Bike Beans café).

Is it me, a bug or just the massive difficulties to get an algorithm to find something good?
Richard Fairhurst

It's somewhere between the second and the third!

It tends to trip up if there's only one route out of a town, in a given direction, that it considers good enough; and because it rejects anything where the inbound and outbound routes are more than n% similar, it therefore works better on longer journeys. So, for example, for Oxford to Evesham it'll find a circular route no problem (50 miles one way); but for Oxford to Charlbury (15 miles) it won't.

I've got a medium-term ambition to completely rewrite the back-end handling of circular routes to make them much better, but in the short term I'll see if there's anything I can do to make it a bit more tolerant.
Graham

Post by Graham »

The ELEVATION profile button doesn't seem to be working on a couple of routes I looked at yesterday. ( also today )

Chromium, Ubuntu 14.04, . . . .popups blocked . . . . Is it just me / my config ??
Richard Fairhurst

Nope, that was a result of me fixing the PDF export and not turning the elevation back on! Fixed now.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Rich369 wrote:Planned routes from campsite to campsite would then be very simple.

Brilliant! (add French camping municipal to the list, too!) Quick Q. I can see how to view campsites at larger scales, but the icon disppears at smaller scales - this can make it harder to plan a day's cycling 'at a glance' if you want to use campsites as beginning and end points. Any way round this?
Day's ride view - no sign of Le camping...
Day's ride view - no sign of Le camping...

Larger scale - Le camping appears...
Larger scale - Le camping appears...

As Rick369 pointed out, its often at a smaller scale that you want to see features like campsites and other accom., so you can plan the start and end points for the day's leg. Would it possible to toggle the camping icon - or make it what Frank would have described as "Turn on and offable"... ;-)
Frank The Tortoise
Frank The Tortoise
ftt.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mark a. wrote:... OSM ... It's easy to do (their new editor is excellent) ...

Which editor and where can you get it (Windows and/or Mac and/or Linux ...)

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

Simon - yep, I'd like to show camping one level 'out' from what it is now. The challenge is that in dense areas, like Barmouth or Abersoch, there are so many campsites that showing them all would clutter the map and start to bump other stuff off.

Ideally in these cases it should just show one icon for "here be camping" (known as "clustering"). The technology isn't really there to do that. But I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I can find a way to do it...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:
mark a. wrote:... OSM ... It's easy to do (their new editor is excellent) ...

Which editor and where can you get it (Windows and/or Mac and/or Linux ...)

I think it's called iD. Click the edit button on www.osm.org and recent browsers with scripting permitted will simply load it.

Could it be made possible somehow to click campsites to see whatever details are on the map? Like even their name? It's a bit annoying to flip to/from OSM to find the details.

Oh and while I'm being a pain and requesting features without time to help implement them, how about "Campsite" and "Hotels" links on the city pages like the Bike Shops ones? ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Added to the list! Clickable POIs on the maps aren't trivial (the code that used to do that in Mapnik has been excised and isn't showing any signs of returning any time soon) but I have a half-formed idea for a really nasty hack to do it...
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:It's somewhere between the second and the third!

I understand. Thanks again Richard for an excellent tool.