Is an Ewerk type device required for Dynamo

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bike-Rich

Is an Ewerk type device required for Dynamo

Post by Bike-Rich »

Hi all,

Something I need to clarify, once a dynamo has been fitted there will obviously be the power lead running from it (which would be mini-usb type connection?).

This would be fine if powering just 1 device (front light etc), but there will be times when I will require more (2 lights, gps). I presume this is where the Ewerk comes into play - am I right in saying it acts as a splitter transfer the power directly or is there a built-in battery (therefore devices are charging from battery rather then the direct feed).

Thank you.
FarOeuf

Re: Is an Ewerk type device required for Dynamo

Post by FarOeuf »

in simple terms it receives the charge from the dynamo, stores that charge, and then you plug devices into the 'battery cache' to charge them (normally this is simultaneous). This means your devices (GPS, etc) receive a cleaner charge, because the battery, effectively, smooths out any variations coming from the dynamo (you stop at lights, you slow down, etc). Some devices don't like inconsistent charging.

Powering multiple devices at the same time is probably not possible, depending on the devices. Rather a setup of continous charging; when GPS is charged you plug the phone in, or switch to lights. Lights are not plugged into the battery cache itself, if they are dynamo specific lights (which usually have a small battery cache themselves).

I have the Reecharge power pack, which just arrived yesterday, and it has a USB socket where I can plug in my devices. This battery has a capacity/storage of 1600 mAh, so I can use it to charge things off the bike too. I can also charge the Reecharge from the mains/USB directly.

cheers
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

I have a USB e-werk connected to my son hub and from this I charge a 12000ma power pack this pack can also be charged from the mains I take a cheap phone with me for emg I buy a SIM card when I'm in Europe.The reason for the power pack is to charge my camera pluse my iPad that I use to contact home via face time or skype I also download a film or two pluse I like to read the paper in the morning.
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Many thanks for help, thank you guys. That has made it much clearer.

FarOeuf wrote:
Lights are not plugged into the battery cache itself, if they are dynamo specific lights (which usually have a small battery cache themselves).

I see, does the e-werk have a separate input for lights? And, are there any front & rear lights you can recommend for use with a dynamo.

Rainman wrote:I have a USB e-werk connected to my son hub and from this I charge a 12000ma power pack this pack can also be charged from the mains I take a cheap phone with me for emg I buy a SIM card when I'm in Europe.The reason for the power pack is to charge my camera pluse my iPad that I use to contact home via face time or skype I also download a film or two pluse I like to read the paper in the morning.

Thank you, sounds good.
Can I ask why did you not go dynamo - power pack? Was it because you still required the multiple connections of the ewerk?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Bike-Rich wrote:Hi all,

Something I need to clarify, once a dynamo has been fitted there will obviously be the power lead running from it (which would be mini-usb type connection?).

This would be fine if powering just 1 device (front light etc), but there will be times when I will require more (2 lights, gps). I presume this is where the Ewerk comes into play - am I right in saying it acts as a splitter transfer the power directly or is there a built-in battery (therefore devices are charging from battery rather then the direct feed).

Thank you.

Most common dynamos produce alternating current (ac) and dynamo lights are designed to use that directy, the lead from the dynamo will not be mini-usb. For charging batteries and other devices you normally need direct current (dc), generally usb spec 5v these days. So you need something to convert the ac to dc, which is what the ewerk does. Other devices are also available to do this.
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

That's made it even more clearer, thank you.

So Dynamo is making AC which is no good for most devices so the Ewerk coverts this to DC, combined with the multi connections of the Ewerk this makes it a very handy device. I;m guessing there must be some kind of buffer battery inside the device?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Regular ewerk has no buffer battery but one is available as an accessory, not always necessary, depends on the device you are charging. The regular ewerk can be set to output various voltages so is capable of charging things that need other voltages than the usb standard.
There is a usb ewerk which is slightly cheaper but only outputs usb standard 5 volts, and has a small buffer battery built in.
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Thank you,

Going back to what someone said about not allowing multiply connections at once, this will be fine 90% of the time as mostly I'll just have a GPS or phone connected. But there may be a time when I need the lights also, someone said the lights have a different connection input on the E-werk - so 1 device & lights are ok simultaneously (on regular ewerk)?

Thanks,
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Bike-Rich wrote:Thank you,

Going back to what someone said about not allowing multiply connections at once, this will be fine 90% of the time as mostly I'll just have a GPS or phone connected. But there may be a time when I need the lights also, someone said the lights have a different connection input on the E-werk - so 1 device & lights are ok simultaneously (on regular ewerk)?

Thanks,

with this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-DYNAM ... 565d785f0e

it does the power conversion and allows you to switch between light and usb easily. a lot cheaper and simpler than e-werk but usb only.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

stephenjubb wrote:with this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-DYNAM ... 565d785f0e

it does the power conversion and allows you to switch between light and usb easily. a lot cheaper and simpler than e-werk but usb only.

According to the link :-
The maximum permissibe current input to this module is 6vac, so care should be taked to avoid over-voltaging caused by cheaper hubs & dynamos

Dynohubs (even expensive ones) can give up to 60 volts at speed with no load.
If you use this, I'd recommend not leaving it plugged in when you aren't using the power, and not switching to USB when in motion.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

I've been using an eWerk connected to a SON Delux hub in a 26" wheel for about 3 years now - and its still going
eWerk and Satmap
eWerk and Satmap

I used to have one of those storage batteries but it was heavy, took ages to charge and mine was faulty, so I have never used one really - in fact it went into the bin early last year.

I usually use the eWerk to charge up a GPS devise by Usb - (Satmap / Garmin edge800) I do have to be going over 6.5 mph to get a good enough charge though -
- this speed depends on the output of your hub

My bike has B&M lights front and rear which are also powered by the hub--
If you have it wired up like mine (the hubs output is split - one set of wires go to the eWerk, another to the F light)
If both are in use at the same time though, they share the power, so each get abouth 50% of the output which will both reduce the USB charge and the lighting

Please note the lighting power does not go through the eWerk - but direct to your light(s)
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Many thanks for all replies,

rollinbone wrote:
My bike has B&M lights front and rear which are also powered by the hub--
If you have it wired up like mine (the hubs output is split - one set of wires go to the eWerk, another to the F light)
If both are in use at the same time though, they share the power, so each get abouth 50% of the output which will both reduce the USB charge and the lighting

Please note the lighting power does not go through the eWerk - but direct to your light(s)

Thank you, great looking set-up,

So to confirm, even on your bike the lights are going from the 'lights output' on the e-werk? Was splitting the cable (front and rear light) difficult?

Why is the lights treated as a separate output? I could understand it with older type lights but surely with modern efficient ones they all have buffer batteries in and are low-use comparable to things like smart phones?

Thanks
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Bike-Rich wrote:Why is the lights treated as a separate output? I could understand it with older type lights but surely with modern efficient ones they all have buffer batteries in and are low-use comparable to things like smart phones?

Thanks

AC power to the dynamo lights (not conventional battery operated 'normal lights'), DC power (via regulator/rectifier) to gadgets.

"I usually use the eWerk to charge up a GPS devise by Usb - (Satmap / Garmin edge800) I do have to be going over 6.5 mph to get a good enough charge though -
- this speed depends on the output of your hub"

can you confirm if the Garmin 800 is ok with the power source going on/off ? I have an 800 and was wondering/worrying about it switching off if the power dropped below charging.

thanks,
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Thanks,

So when I purchase lights, I should be looking for something that is 'Dynamo' or 'AC' power source compatible?
A LED light working off rechargeable batteries (AA) would not work?
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I have the M172 USB device from the eBay link. I've had no problem with voltage issues at any speed, though if I recall, I wired it a little differently to its intended design: When I was using it, I needed USB power and front light at the same time, but not the rear light. So I plugged the M172 into the rear light output from the (B&M Cyo) light rather than plug it directly into my (Shimano) hub and have to switch between light and USB. It worked absolutely fine powering a Garmin eTrex.

It's worth noting that the M172 doesn't mount terribly easily to anything and the wires are odd lengths, so it's not what I'd call a tidy solution. I ended up stuffing it into my Rickshaw Pipsqueak bar bag. It is of course much cheaper than the e-Werk, though.

Since then I've bought a Luxos U which has a USB port on the remote button, but I've not used it yet. In theory, I believe it should give USB power and front and rear lighting at the same time. At least, I hope so.

There are a couple of other USB-enabled lights (Hermanns?) - if you don't have lights yet (yes, you need dyno-specific lights; check Busch & Mueller as a starting point) and you don't have exotic requirements that might necessitate an e-Werk then I would suggest investigating these first: this route will almost certainly be simpler, tidier, and cheaper. The Tout Terrain Plug is another "external box" option, one which is rather more neat and tidy than the e-Werk or the M172.