OpenFietsMap Europa (=OpenCycleMap Europe)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cjs

Re: OpenFietsMap Europa (=OpenCycleMap Europe)

Post by cjs »

As I understand it...

Sweep wrote:If you go to Maps on my version of Basecamp (the latest one) there is a function in the drop down menu called Install Maps. Is this by any chance a successor to Mapsource?

It is a similar function but simplified within Basecamp. Mapsource will allow different tile images from different displayed maps to be installed at the one time. For instance, If you did not lump all 3 areas together but kept them separate on the PC then Mapsource will allow you to pick say some tiles from one displayed map, then if you select another map area within the program you can add tiles add tiles from that to the upload list ... and so forth.... Once the listing is complete and you upload the program merges all the separate tiles into one img file and transfers to to your GPS or Memory card...

Sweep wrote:....Does this mean that you don't have to actually download two big files from Openfietsmap - ie one for the PC and one for the GPS - if you only want part of it on the GPS?
ie - you can just download the big "territory" file from Openfietsmap for the PC, then copy the bits you need to the card/Etrex?
Is the map made up of your selected files on the Etrex card as fully functional in terms of routing etc as if you had just dumped the original GPS file from Openfietsmap onto your Etex? ......

Yes & Yes - If you are just using OpenFietsmap with all areas areas combined into one European map then that function within Basecamp will do what you want and you do not need Mapsource.

Hope this helps...
Kind Regards
Chris...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Wonderful reply CJS.

Many thanks for being patient and polite enough to address all of my points.

It seems that Mapinstall will be fine for me then and I found it surprisingly easy to use.

Which just leaves one question.

As you point out in order to make best use of Mapinstall I would have to have the entire map in one chunk on my PC.

In your experience does this cause any lag issues when accessing, moving around the map?

I am somewhat wary of large graphically intense files.

My PC is a pretty modern relatively good Win 8.1 machine.
Sweep
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Sweep wrote:In your experience does this cause any lag issues when accessing, moving around the map?

As you zoom out, you will loose a bit of speed. But it depends on the area whre you are. Dense cityscape is slower then some landscape with lesser information.
Temporarely I'm working on a rather slow laptop and it is not really an issue.

Peter
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

I use Basecamp, plan and save routes / gpx / POI etc... then open up Mapsource and bring in the route, select the relevant tiles and upload to GPS. Once the tiles are on the Etrex you can use Basecamp to upload routes / tracks etc..

Have a play, any problems PM and I'll come back with a video or help sheet or something similar ...

Chris

Can you outline your work flow in regards to this please a numpty crib sheet or bullets would be great

thanks for any guidance
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks to all on this thread.

And of course to the Dutch wizard.

I managed to knit together the 3 sections on the PC.

Seems to me the best system is to do this and then use Mapinstall (it's so easy) to download the bits you need on the GPS as you are likely to need them.

You will very often of course not need the whole UK - love Wales, Cornwall and Scotland but don't immediately need them.

I can always download separately more up to date OSM for specific areas as a back-up/alternative view.

Thanks again all, thanks for the help and offers of help.
Sweep
cjs

Post by cjs »

Sweep wrote:....Many thanks....

It was nothing, you're welcome...

stu1102 wrote: Can you outline your work flow in regards to this please a numpty crib sheet or bullets would be great

As an example of using Mapsource & Basecamp and differing mapsets.....

Here's a screen dump of Basecamp. With Openfietsmap (All Europe) loaded, I have created a route from Brugge (Belgium) to Calais (France) and exported the track of the route to a file. I prefer to use tracks rather than routes as your GPS may route differently to your computer program, so as will different mapsets. A Track is a track though..
1.jpg

Here's a screen dump of Mapsource with Velomap France loaded. I have opened the track file from above and as you can see the track straddles into a blank where Belgium is. Using the map selection tool I have selected the relevant tiles, note the listing in the left pane.
2.jpg

In this screen dump I have loaded Velomap Belgium. Note the track is still loaded in the program and now the French part is blank. I selected the necessary Belgium tiles and note they are added to the list. Now initiate a 'send to device' and the complete route of tiles can be loaded along with the track ..
3.jpg

Have a play and PM if you can not get it do what you want ...

Whatever mapsets anyone uses in earnest, if you like them, consider a donation to the authors if they are offered freely...

Hope this helps...
Kind Regards
Chris...
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Hi Chris

this is excellent :D

Just sent you a PM

cheers
cjs

Post by cjs »

Just as a reference for anyone who is beginning to use a GPS and later reading this thread...

When using either OpenFietsMap or VeloMap/OpenMTBMap mapsets for route planning it is important to understand how software and the GPS preferences interact with the mapset and produce routing output.

Here's a couple of links - http://www.openfietsmap.nl/tips-tricks/basecamp and http://www.velomap.org/velomaporg/autorouting/ that show whats best for each mapset.

For touring it is worthy to note that your computer can give you a route over 100's of miles but your GPS may well struggle a bit with distances - so set up waypoints along your route (with around 20 mile separation) and use these one at a time to create 'on the go' routes ... Tracks are different though...
Kind Regards
Chris...
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Chris

I'm still seeing the full map site in Basecamp even though Mapsource builds the selected tiles\maps and tracks and I then send to Device but I see all the Europe Map, any ideas

thanks for your support

Stuart
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Chris ignore post above sorted now, thanks for all your great support, really excellent :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The Dutch Wizard appears to have done an update, early June.

Only about 6 months after the last one I think.

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe

Scroll down this page below and you'll see that there appear to have been changes to the routing options you should choose on the Garmin (I use an Etrex 20) and Basecamp.

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/news/posts.xml

If you search elsewhere in the updates notifications it also appears that you can get now get offline Garmin map images onto an Android tablet or smartphone and read them (but not route) using the free Orux maps update.

Apologies if this is old news.

A happy sweep.
Sweep
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Thanks for the heads up Peter.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks peter.
Sweep
wizard

Post by wizard »

Hi,
I have uploaded a new release on http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe

For more frequent updates there is also the world-wide light version available at https://extract.bbbike.org/ (wekely) or http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl (monthly).

Cheers from the Wizard 8)