OpenFietsMap Europa (=OpenCycleMap Europe)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Peter Molog

OpenFietsMap Europa (=OpenCycleMap Europe)

Post by Peter Molog »

Our Dutch Wizard did it again.
A new version of his [url=http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe[/url] is available.
Last edited by Peter Molog on 2 Feb 2014, 9:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Sweep

Re: OpenFietsMap Europa (=OpenCycleMap Europe)

Post by Sweep »

many thanks for that Peter, I have been wondering for a while when itmight be updated.

I find it excellent - hits a sweet spot of a lot of useful info without over-cluttering or over-fancyfying the design. Some versions of OSM that look great on a PC screen I find unusable on my Etrex20.

Thanks again
Sweep
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Because it's a very tough job for his PC it's not so often done. For the last few years he did it once a year. This time he's early. :)
Peter

freebooter

Post by freebooter »

Am I right in thinking the downloaded map can be used with oruxmaps in Android? Also is the UK in the Western or Northern Europe map?

I have the downloaded OSM with Osmand but prefer the cycle map version.

thanks
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

freebooter wrote:Am I right in thinking the downloaded map can be used with oruxmaps in Android? Also is the UK in the Western or Northern Europe map?

thanks

I discovered i made a mistake in the web-address. I already changed it in my first post.
But here is again the correct address.

When it is right you can see how Europe is divided. England is in Western Europe. I had the same problem. :?

And your other question? I dont have a clue.
Best is to look here and put your questions on a forum, or contact Ligfietser (= Recumbant Biker :) ) directly.

Peter
Peter

cjs

Post by cjs »

freebooter wrote:Am I right in thinking the downloaded map can be used with oruxmaps in Android? Also is the UK in the Western or Northern Europe map?

thanks

Yes it can... I tried it sometime ago with a Nexus and it was fine to a point -the style however was not quite right and I never proceeded - stayed with the OsmAnd maps.... things may have moved on though.... here's a link regarding styles that may be worth trying now though... https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/osmand/tzK9wGym_BQ ......I will later on in the week have another go....

Hope this helps...
Kind Regards
Chris...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'll get round to updating my maps when I have a mo.

Just had a quick look at the page.

I assume the maps will be as great/greater than before, but at first sight it seems a pity that he's split things as he has.

Italy for instance is in E Europe, which means that in order to get this on the GPS (and I think of it as Western Europe) I have to put on my Etrex 20 a truly massive amount of Eastern parts.
Sweep
cjs

Post by cjs »

Sweep wrote:......Italy for instance is in E Europe, which means that in order to get this on the GPS (and I think of it as Western Europe) I have to put on my Etrex 20 a truly massive amount of Eastern parts.

Each area is sub-divided into many tile images....If you are also using a computer, install Mapsource and upload to GPS just the tiles you want, not whole areas....

Hope this helps...
Kind Regards
Chris...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hi cjs

I have heard of Mapsource but not familiar with it - always thought it was maybe for the tech-whizzs.

I suppose it's about time I became familiar with it.

I will check it out.

Many thanks for the help/suggestion.

Warning I may be back for advice :)
Sweep
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Peter Molog wrote:... our Dutch Wizard did it again...

... really excellent, thanks a lot !!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Question deleted - maybe figured this one out - sorry admins - couldn't see how to totally delete the post.

My other question below still open.
Last edited by Sweep on 3 Feb 2014, 3:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

And another question relating to Mapsoure - I did warn you cjs :)

This:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapSource

says that it is no longer supported.

So before I get onto figuring out how to use it, will I have problems using it on Windows 8.1?

I know Windows has ways of running progs designed for earlier operating systems (I have used this "emulation mode" before but not with Win 8.1) but I thought I had better check.
Sweep
cjs

Post by cjs »

I think you will find it will work fine on 8.1. I cannot be sure as I use it on W7 SP2 but I am fairly confident it will be fine. Not supported basically means there will be no further updates nor can you have any expectations... but it still is a good tool to have.

Basecamp superseded Mapsource .

Some map styles will not fully display on Mapsource but will on Basecamps... Velomaps would be an example in that sometimes contour lines do not always display correctly within Mapsource on the computer monitor screen but WILL once uploaded to the GPS...

Have both Basecamp and Mapsource installed. Use Basecamp for planning on the PC. I use all the areas of fietsmap installed as one on the computer rather than separate areas.... (OFM(EU2014 Installer which combines areas W+N+E - http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe)

I use Basecamp, plan and save routes / gpx / POI etc... then open up Mapsource and bring in the route, select the relevant tiles and upload to GPS. Once the tiles are on the Etrex you can use Basecamp to upload routes / tracks etc..

Have a play, any problems PM and I'll come back with a video or help sheet or something similar ...

Hope this helps...
Kind Regards
Chris...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks cjs.

Quick question in the meantime before I start doing serious tinkering.

Does combining all of the files in one on the PC cause any issues with processing/manipulation time when you are doing stuff on the map/moving around it?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Another question cjs (or anyone else).

If you go to Maps on my version of Basecamp (the latest one) there is a function in the drop down menu called Install Maps.

Is this by any chance a successor to Mapsource?

It appears to allow you to take one of the Openfietsmap large territories and select tiles to then install on a memory card which you can just pop in the Garmin.

Does this mean that you don't have to actually download two big files from Openfietsmap - ie one for the PC and one for the GPS - if you only want part of it on the GPS?

ie - you can just download the big "territory" file from Openfietsmap for the PC, then copy the bits you need to the card/Etrex?

Is the map made up of your selected files on the Etrex card as fully functional in terms of routing etc as if you had just dumped the original GPS file from Openfietsmap onto your Etex?

Apologies for all the questions - would appreciate answers to all - I'm just trying to cover all the bases in case I screw something up by trying to be too clever/take shortcuts.
Sweep