Oban: secure car parking

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
IanCh

Oban: secure car parking

Post by IanCh »

At the start of our 2014 Hebridean end to end, we will be catching the 15.40 ferry to Barra from Oban on Monday 19th May. I am seeking advice about where to leave either two cars and a bike trailer, or three cars, until the following Saturday afternoon. So far we've heard that on-street parking and the municipal car parks are OK for long stay parking but we would prefer something a bit more secure, such as a garage, someone's driveway or a farmer's barn or yard. If anyone has any suitable contacts for places fairly near to the ferry terminal, that would be great. :D
rualexander

Re: Oban: secure car parking

Post by rualexander »

http://www.obancarhire.co.uk/parkandcruise.asp

http://www.stoddarts.co.uk/

Never used them though, I always just park on a street somewhere, never had a problem.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I also tend to park on the road and so far have not had any issue. I did once ask at one of the two camp-sites if I could leave my car there and they seemed happy for me to do this (for a fee), but the logistics of getting there resulted in me just leaving the car on the road as I've done before. Might be of use to you though!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've used “Puffin Divers” in the past http://www.puffin.org.uk/

On the first occasion we were on a dive charter to St Kilda and we used them again last year for our Hebridean tour. They're about two miles from the ferry terminal. The parking isn't under cover but it's very quiet and the site is occupied 24 hrs. Last year they quoted us £5/day but in the event they only charged us £3.50/day. I thought it was worth it for peace of mind.
keithg

Post by keithg »

Unofficially the large car park behind Oban cathedral is used regularly and that's where I always park for Mull ferries which I use about once per year. Don't use the Tesco car park, they issue fines or did a couple of years ago.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Several years ago I needed similar parking & got a good deal with I think the local Fiat Dealership.
Despite othrs' advice,would be loath to leave a car parked on street for two weeks!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Used the dive centre last year at 3.50
fine.
Toilets and showers there if needed.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I have used these guys a few times and can recommend them, peace of mind knowing that your vehicle will still be there waiting for you when you get back. They will also meet you at the ferry terminal on your return if you ring them in advance.
http://www.obancarhire.co.uk/parkandcruise.asp
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

One problem I had when looking at using one of these secure parking places is when they are open. Some of the sailings are pretty early in the morning and so ideally I wanted to arrive early and drop my car off then, but that was not possible with some of the people I talked to. Not a problem if you have an afternoon sailing or can arrive the day before I suppose.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

gloomyandy wrote:One problem I had when looking at using one of these secure parking places is when they are open. Some of the sailings are pretty early in the morning and so ideally I wanted to arrive early and drop my car off then, but that was not possible with some of the people I talked to. Not a problem if you have an afternoon sailing or can arrive the day before I suppose.

Hazlebank Motors will deliver your car to the terminal out of hours to meet early or late sailings.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Yes it wasn't the collection but the drop off that was a problem when I checked. Worth making sure about anyway!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Post by gloomyandy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:07 am
One problem I had when looking at using one of these secure parking places is when they are open. Some of the sailings are pretty early in the morning and so ideally I wanted to arrive early and drop my car off then, but that was not possible with some of the people I talked to. Not a problem if you have an afternoon sailing or can arrive the day before I suppose.

+1

The logistics, if travelling from London, pretty much dictate a two day journey if you want to arrive in Oban during business hours. We stayed overnight at the YH at Crianlarich. I,ve also used “The Wigwams” at Strathfillan.

http://www.wigwamholidays.com/Strathfillan_Wigwam_Village
graymee

Post by graymee »

I wasn't sure what to do when we cycled the Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago. I contacted the local police for advice and they suggested the car park at the Leisure Centre as it was patrolled regularly and car crime isn't a huge problem in Oban. In the end I just parked my car on Gallanach Road near the Seafood Temple which is only a short ride from the ferry terminal.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Last September I went along the road that kind of follows Hadrian's Wall. Traveling west. Into a gale. And rain.

My how I still laugh to myself at the thought of doing 6mph on the flat. (Just to put it into perspective, I normally average 13mph or so over 80 miles a day when touring)

I’d do it again tomorrow though. Scenic doesn't do it justice,
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.