Cycling to Nordkapp: searching for suggestions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Cycling to Nordkapp: searching for suggestions

Post by Vorpal »

In August, it will probably only be that cold at night, even in the north and the mountains. Where there are glaciers, though, it may feel colder, even if it is warmer, especially descending.

But like anything, you have to weigh the risk of being cold versus carrying the weight of cold weather gear across Europe. I might carry some thermal leggings, as well the other stuff, plus shoe covers and a pair of wool socks. Carrying clothes that can be layered is good because you can just put on more stuff. I often carry two pairs of gloves that I can wear together. One pair of wool gloves, and one pair of light winter cycling gloves.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:In August, it will probably only be that cold at night, even in the north and the mountains. Where there are glaciers, though, it may feel colder, even if it is warmer, especially descending.

But like anything, you have to weigh the risk of being cold versus carrying the weight of cold weather gear across Europe. I might carry some thermal leggings, as well the other stuff, plus shoe covers and a pair of wool socks. Carrying clothes that can be layered is good because you can just put on more stuff. I often carry two pairs of gloves that I can wear together. One pair of wool gloves, and one pair of light winter cycling gloves.

Thanks Vorpal for your precious help! :) Yesterday I saw in Decathlon this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rain-5-overt ... 29813.html. Since the western coast is very rainy could be worth to have them?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I often carry rain trousers in iffy weather; they can serve as an extra layer for keeping warm, as well as keeping the rain off. However, waterproofs keep wet (sweat) in, as well as out and may not do much to keep you dry.

I have to admit, though that I like the look of the built-in shoe covers. They may useful for keeping shoes from filling with water.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:I often carry rain trousers in iffy weather; they can serve as an extra layer for keeping warm, as well as keeping the rain off. However, waterproofs keep wet (sweat) in, as well as out and may not do much to keep you dry.

I have to admit, though that I like the look of the built-in shoe covers. They may useful for keeping shoes from filling with water.

Thanks again Vorpal. I know that rain trousers can keep weat inside and I was wondering if in a "cold" environment could be fine.

The last question: I have a 10°C sleeping bag. Could it be fine in Norway or you would suggest me to carry a warmer one?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wet can't always be helped. The main thing is keeping warm, and that can be accomplished with a layer of wool or merino. Also, if you need to stop for anything, when it's cold, it's best to put an extra layer on to keep from cooling off too quickly.

As for sleeping bags, I think having a mat is more important. Also, a liner may help. Liners are easier to wash, help keep the sleeping bag clean, and increase warmth retention. Worse comes to worst, you can always wear more clothes to sleep.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:Wet can't always be helped. The main thing is keeping warm, and that can be accomplished with a layer of wool or merino. Also, if you need to stop for anything, when it's cold, it's best to put an extra layer on to keep from cooling off too quickly.

As for sleeping bags, I think having a mat is more important. Also, a liner may help. Liners are easier to wash, help keep the sleeping bag clean, and increase warmth retention. Worse comes to worst, you can always wear more clothes to sleep.

Thanks...I'll also buy a liner and few merino things. I found an online special offer from icebreaker merino things.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

serbring wrote:
The last question: I have a 10°C sleeping bag. Could it be fine in Norway or you would suggest me to carry a warmer one?

Camping just south of Bodo at the end of one August my water bottles froze overnight - so the question is - is that +10° or -10° your sleeping bag? (an insulated mat is default)

waterproofs - Norway - full set - ready and present at all times
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83086

Thanks! :)
serbring

Post by serbring »

psmiffy wrote:
serbring wrote:

Camping just south of Bodo at the end of one August my water bottles froze overnight - so the question is - is that +10° or -10° your sleeping bag? (an insulated mat is default)

waterproofs - Norway - full set - ready and present at all times

Your water bottle froze overnight?! Damn it! My sleeping bag is +10°C. :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bodø?

http://weatherspark.com/averages/28845/ ... and-Norway seems to show that would be *really* unusual.

edited to add: I'm not trying to say that it can't get down to freezing in August, but that it is once in a lifetime kind of weather. Those are not conditions that I would pack for.

In the OPs situation, I think I would take the sleeping bag I had, and if I found it to be inadequate, I would buy a new one and mail the old one home to myself.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:Bodø?

http://weatherspark.com/averages/28845/ ... and-Norway seems to show that would be *really* unusual.

edited to add: I'm not trying to say that it can't get down to freezing in August, but that it is once in a lifetime kind of weather. Those are not conditions that I would pack for.

In the OPs situation, I think I would take the sleeping bag I had, and if I found it to be inadequate, I would buy a new one and mail the old one home to myself.

Thanks...a website with valuable information for bike travellers and also great suggestion :)
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Vorpal wrote:Bodø?

It was a surprise to me - Ive always put it down to the wind being easterly off the glacier - but i didnt have any nights that I would have called balmy -wooly tent socks and into the sleeping bag at the earliest opportunity was de rigeur - people i spoke to in bergen before i took the train north who had just come south had two weeks of lovely weather - I think i had a few days in the middle of the tour that were OKish - rest was not warm -interspersed with not warm at all and quite a lot of heavy rain and sometimes very strong winds (walking across the high bridges pressed against the barrier because the wind was so strong) - scenery thank god made up for all of it
solozeal

Post by solozeal »

Denmark has free campsites for cyclists or a nominal fee of about £2. They often have some wooden huts with open fronts ideal for sleeping in without the need for a tent. The site is http://udinaturen.naturstyrelsen.dk/udinaturen/# in Danish but if you call into the first tourist information office you can purchase the book and map which is easier to use unless you speak Danish.

In Norway don't forget to visit the Lofoten Islands from Bodo to Tromso well worth the trip alone, stunning scenery all the way. The 7km Northcape undersea tunnel is fine for cyclists, its cold doing down though so put your jacket on before you enter the tunnels and wear a florescent vest too. Check out my friends blog when we rode south from Nordkapp in June 2012 http://north2northcycletour.wordpress.c ... n-islands/

Have a good trip
:)
khain

Post by khain »

I cycled to Nordkapp a couple of years ago. It's a great cycle though the tunnels can be frightening at first. It's not always the most cycle-friendly of places but the scenery makes it worth it.

Before you go stock up on maps as they cost a fortune in Norway. Also make sure you get a map showing the places cyclists are forbidden. There is no easy to follow system to determine where you can cycle so you need to find out in advance otherwise you might have a long cycle back from some points. Buy everything you can in advance as prices in Norway are terrifying. Always double check prices in supermarkets and ask for a receipt (kvittering) as most of the prices displayed are wrong.

Be prepared to take lots of ferries. They are quite cheap and cycling round the coast is generally more interesting and easier than going inland.

Pretty much the entire coastline is spectacular. If you follow the coastal cycle route you will see no end of fantastic scenery. That will take you through the Lofoten isles which are really nice. Geiranger and Trollstigen are also worth checking out, as are the Lyngen Alps. I'm not sure if they're on the coastal route. The Troll Wall also looks good but I missed that. Take a detour to see Stetind as the area is beautiful and you can cycle through Stetind itself.