Cycling to Nordkapp: searching for suggestions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
johnonhisbike

Re: Cycling to Nordkapp: searching for suggestions

Post by johnonhisbike »

Hi there,
Last year I planned a route South from Nordkapp, but we sadly never got to complete it. I had in mind heading south to Karasjok and then on to the Finnish coast of the Baltic Sea at Oulu, then down through Finland to Helsinki. It certainly seemed to be a route which keeps well away from major towns, with long isolated sections. Maybe someone who has tried this route could advise you better, but I would certainly look into it as an alternative to Norway and the tunnels. (There is also the possibility of going from Karasjok, NE to Vadso and picking up the Hurtigruten to Honningsvag, thereby avoiding the last long tunnel.
It's just a thought though ... many more people will know more than me about this route. Hope it all goes well on your trip.
John
khain

Post by khain »

johnonhisbike wrote:Hi there,
Last year I planned a route South from Nordkapp, but we sadly never got to complete it. I had in mind heading south to Karasjok and then on to the Finnish coast of the Baltic Sea at Oulu, then down through Finland to Helsinki. It certainly seemed to be a route which keeps well away from major towns, with long isolated sections. Maybe someone who has tried this route could advise you better, but I would certainly look into it as an alternative to Norway and the tunnels. (There is also the possibility of going from Karasjok, NE to Vadso and picking up the Hurtigruten to Honningsvag, thereby avoiding the last long tunnel.
It's just a thought though ... many more people will know more than me about this route. Hope it all goes well on your trip.
John

I tried this route after reaching Nordkapp. It is dreadful. Northern Finland is extremely dull and in Summer absolutely swarming with mosquitoes. I really can't stress enough how bad they are. After a few days I couldn't stand it anymore and headed back towards Norway, which is incomparably better, even with the tunnels. Maybe in Autumn or Spring Finland would be ok but I would pass in Summer.
serbring

Post by serbring »

khain wrote:I cycled to Nordkapp a couple of years ago. It's a great cycle though the tunnels can be frightening at first. It's not always the most cycle-friendly of places but the scenery makes it worth it.

Before you go stock up on maps as they cost a fortune in Norway. Also make sure you get a map showing the places cyclists are forbidden. There is no easy to follow system to determine where you can cycle so you need to find out in advance otherwise you might have a long cycle back from some points. Buy everything you can in advance as prices in Norway are terrifying. Always double check prices in supermarkets and ask for a receipt (kvittering) as most of the prices displayed are wrong.

Be prepared to take lots of ferries. They are quite cheap and cycling round the coast is generally more interesting and easier than going inland.

Pretty much the entire coastline is spectacular. If you follow the coastal cycle route you will see no end of fantastic scenery. That will take you through the Lofoten isles which are really nice. Geiranger and Trollstigen are also worth checking out, as are the Lyngen Alps. I'm not sure if they're on the coastal route. The Troll Wall also looks good but I missed that. Take a detour to see Stetind as the area is beautiful and you can cycle through Stetind itself.

Interesting...Why should I get a lot of ferries? I know the western coast is quite isolated, how much food and water should I carry? For two days is enough?
PAF

Post by PAF »

regarding what to do when you get there - it is dramatic, enjoy the view and the feeling and I would recommend getting the Hurtigruten (ferry) back down the coast, quite pricy but a great adventure in itself.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Google Earth the western bit of Norway. There a fair amount, especially north of Trondheim, where you have a choice between E6 or ferry and secondary route. If you want to go that way ferry + secondary route will generally be the best bet. Some sections of the E6 are probably okay, but I haven't been tht way, so I can't say for sure. And tunnels on the E6 will generally not allow bicycles.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
khain

Post by khain »

You should take the coastal route as it's much more scenic and generally easier cycling. The coast is where the fjords are so if you want to experience Norwegian scenery that's where to go. However, cycling right round all the fjords would take many months and often there are no roads round them, hence why you need ferries. Also, many of the islands are worth seeing too. When you see the coastline you'll understand why there are so few roads. The tunnels are an experience, particularly the Nordkapp one, but you get used to them.

If you stay near the coast you shouldn't need to carry more than a day's food and water, if that. Further inland there are more remote areas. Just keep an eye on your map. It's quite warm in summer too so don't go overboard on insulation.
boblo

Post by boblo »

johnonhisbike wrote:Hi there,
John

We cycled that lot (Nordkapp to Helsinki) a few years ago. The blog is still up for background http://euroe2e.blogspot.co.uk
serbring

Post by serbring »

khain wrote:You should take the coastal route as it's much more scenic and generally easier cycling. The coast is where the fjords are so if you want to experience Norwegian scenery that's where to go. However, cycling right round all the fjords would take many months and often there are no roads round them, hence why you need ferries. Also, many of the islands are worth seeing too. When you see the coastline you'll understand why there are so few roads. The tunnels are an experience, particularly the Nordkapp one, but you get used to them.

If you stay near the coast you shouldn't need to carry more than a day's food and water, if that. Further inland there are more remote areas. Just keep an eye on your map. It's quite warm in summer too so don't go overboard on insulation.

thanks for your suggestion. I googled and I have to take many ferries indeed. Do they charge anying for carrying a bike on a ferry?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't think most ferries charge for bikes.

I would contact http://www.kystriksveien.no/?page=pager&part=kontakt they should be able to give you some information.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

ferries do charge for you with a bike, though it's not much. in the region of 30-50 for a short crossing. I've no idea what the price is for a pedestrian, but there seemed to be a clear 'you are with a bicycle' question.

EDIT: I mean it's not free if you wheel your bike on, you have to pay something.

cheers,
serbring

Post by serbring »

FarOeuf wrote:ferries do charge for you with a bike, though it's not much. in the region of 30-50 for a short crossing. I've no idea what the price is for a pedestrian, but there seemed to be a clear 'you are with a bicycle' question.

EDIT: I mean it's not free if you wheel your bike on, you have to pay something.

cheers,

Thanks. In my trip schedule I planned to take many ferries and I want to understand how much it will cost me.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Folk,

which electricity plugin is there in norway?
pal

Post by pal »

It's the same as the rest of continental Europe (two pin sockets).
serbring

Post by serbring »

pal wrote:

This one?

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_e ... roplug.png

thanks
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

serbring wrote:
pal wrote:

This one?

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_e ... roplug.png

thanks

yes :)