Ridgeback Expedition

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

Ridgeback Expedition

Post by 22camels »

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Exped ... _67874.htm

Anyone tried one yet? How does it compare to other 26 inch, steel tourers around £1000 such as the Surly LHT?
mercalia

Re: Ridgeback Expedition

Post by mercalia »

looks a bit like my Dawes 1-Down, but with a less expensive frame ( mine Reynolds 631)

I would have thought £1000 would get a better quality frame material?

looks like they have made the same mistake with cutting short the steering tube? thus need to use an A head extender?

compare the pics ( this one not mine)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-1-Down- ... 7675.l2557
ScotchEgg

Post by ScotchEgg »

Its a nice bike but you could ghet a really mint Dawes Ultra Galaxy for a lot less ssecond hand
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I didn't think they had Dawes Ultra Galaxy in 26 inch wheels.

The number of 26 inch steel tourers around £1000 readily available off the shelf in the UK can be listed on the fingers of one hand, so this new Ridgeback model seems a fairly significant addition to this market.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

22camels, I agree. I came upon this bike by accident some weeks when researching where to buy something else. I don't need another tourer, but if I did, this Ridgeback would be near the top of the list. It looks to be well thought out and very good value for money.

I saw another Surly LHT at the train station on Wednesday. All kitted out with panniers, stuff sack, bar bag and looking ready for the grand-depart. Good bikes no doubt, but I don't find them at all inspiring.
horizon

Post by horizon »

22camels wrote:I didn't think they had Dawes Ultra Galaxy in 26 inch wheels.

The number of 26 inch steel tourers around £1000 readily available off the shelf in the UK can be listed on the fingers of one hand, so this new Ridgeback model seems a fairly significant addition to this market.

I agree. Yes, steerer cut too short but otherwise the bike I have long said they should all make - a really practical tourer. Keeps it all simple too - bar ends, cantis, 26" wheels, 24 speed, Alivio more or less throughout. I don't expect it will make a big impression in the market: why should it - it's just a go anywhere, do it all bike without the bling and who wants that?

It can line up with the Surly LHT, Thorn Sherpa, Condor Heritage and ... and .. well that's about it for the best bike configuration you can have IMV. A Dawes Sardar in all but name - great!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like there are 2 others in the range but 700c

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m115b187s86 ... ring_Bikes

one cheaper one more expensive

in the 26" wheel one there seems to be a reasonably large frame of 60cm. the dawes 1-Down stopped at 57cm I think. which made it hard for tall riders to get to work. I am a bit surprised that Ridgeback are trying where Dawes failed, they clearly must have some reason to think that the time is ripe for this ?
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

It is. And there is always room for a decent touring bike at a not astronomical price.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wonder though how long it will be available, here today gone tomorrow?
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Funny that, Dawes did that with their Nomad range. Seemingly good bikes, then gone like they never existed.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Whereas its always good to have a few enthusiasts on internet forums talking about the bikes, the plain fact is that the bikes will be dropped like a hot potato if they don't sell in numbers.
Nobody can afford to keep thousands of pounds worth of bikes on inventory for nine months and then sell them off at cost when they are "last years".

I wish Ridgeback well with the bike, I think its a sensible sort of bike (except I would fit Vee brakes), but then I ride tracks, and I don't need STIs....
Unfortunately, my feeling is that it will go the same way as Dawes' One Down and Nomad(s?) ,,,,and Spa's "Roughstuff"...... :(
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes alas. atleast a few people now know about it that didnt before? I didnt know about the Dawes Nomad either. thought a wrong ref to Thorn. I dont need nor can afford another bike. Trouble is the would be noob tourist dont have any where to stay theses days - too many YHA shut.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I can tell you of a few still cyclist friendly YHA's.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

overlander

Post by overlander »

Typical ridgeback well thought out and fit for purpose. I looked at all the mid end tourers before I bought the ridgeback panorama and once again ridgeback won on all accounts due to its well thought out spec, you can tell someone has thought their bikes out well. Yes I tried the galaxy but honestly it was pretty middle of the line certainly no better than the panorama. But one thing that stands out about ridgeback is they actually make frames for adults the galaxy does not even go up to 60 cm !! So even on the expedition look at all the frame sizes compared to the rest of them so a better chance of actually getting one that fits you and that's 90% more important than frame material. I think it's a real poor show from the likes of Dawes cherry picking off the popular sizes.