Bikeroutetoaster

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bikeroutetoaster

Post by Mick F »

BeeKeeper wrote:Big sigh of relief!
+1

Trouble is, I don't like the new site, so I doubt I'll make new routes on it. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
jezza

Post by jezza »

Can anyone help me on Bikehike. I have a new Garmin Touring Plus and have been trying the course creation tool, I am not particularly good at this sort of technology. I manage to create a route, and then when I come to save it, I'm not sure what format to choose so I go for tcx - is that right??

1. If I save direct to my GPS it does something through the bikehike system which turns it into a .fit file and then appears in saved courses ok. I haven't tried riding it yet so we will see.

2. It will save direct to my PC as a tcx file, I can copy it to the Garmin removable device on my PC but it does not appear when I switch on the device itself. I want to enable this because my brother and I have a long ride to do in France this summer and I am hoping he can create routes, send them to me and I can put them on the GPS.

Am I being thick here. I notice .fit files are a lot smaller than .tcx files.
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

Looks like it is down again :(
Anyone know why? I have loads of routes on there, some of them are not on my Garmin, especially the one a group of us are planning to do for the RNRM Charities :(
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

Tizme wrote:Looks like it is down again :(
Anyone know why? I have loads of routes on there, some of them are not on my Garmin, especially the one a group of us are planning to do for the RNRM Charities :(

It's a shame, BRT was my favourite, even after the last update. It's not been working for me for a few months now (Win 8.1). Up until a few weeks ago I could still log in, view and download my saved rides, but couldn't create a route. The website address is now showing as 'domain available'.

I also use GPSies, and Bikehike, preferring the latter.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

For me, you have highlighted why I like to keep local copies of all my stuff rather than rely on services. Sod's Law means they will never be available when you need them. And/or updates/enhancements mean that what you have got can become lost/loss of utility. There is another ongoing thread where there was a discussion on creating bike route heatmaps and somebody referenced a 3rd party tool that can create a route heatmap from you Strava data. However, apparently this no longer works after Strava changed their policy on 3rd party access to your data ... (and the equivalent they offer is not regarded in the same regard).

Ian
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

whiskywheels wrote:

It's a shame, BRT was my favourite, even after the last update. It's not been working for me for a few months now (Win 8.1). Up until a few weeks ago I could still log in, view and download my saved rides, but couldn't create a route. The website address is now showing as 'domain available'.

Been fine for me on 8.1 up to the expiry of the domain registration (and the domain is NOT available at time of posting) I imagine it'll be up again shortly once the domain is renewed, he may just be away on holiday so unavailable to renew just now, when it gets back up don't forget to contribute for previous uncontributed usage.