IRON CURTAIN ROUTE

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

IRON CURTAIN ROUTE

Postby tucker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 am

Has anyone cycled the Iron Curtain Route,I am wanting to do the section from Germany, Poland, Estonia etc to St. Petersburg next year, I know Bikeline do a guide but I want to know the condition of the paths etc, asphalt , gravel or dirt tracks.
tucker

Re: IRON CURTAIN ROUTE

Postby foxyrider » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Did a short stretch in Germany last year which was a mixture of tarmac and forest road with a pretty difficult surface to climb on! (i never walk and i had to on this trail!) This was on the Thuringen/Bavaria stretch west of Hof

I might have just hit a bad section but the Bikeline Guide indicates long stretches of similar trail - it might improve in areas that are more used i guess.
Convention? what's that then?
foxyrider

Postby andymiller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 pm

OK you've probably already looked at the official site, but it does have a fairly detailed description and maps. I'll post the links here, just in case you haven't seen them (and other people may be interested):

- Northern section
- section through Germany
- southern section

- Brochure (pdf)
- not very detailed map

You could order the Bikeline guides from Amazon and return them if you decide not to do the route.
andymiller

Postby bidi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks — what a fantastic route!

I'm leaving next year for a 5 year round-the-world cycle adventure and happily waste a great deal of time poring over maps and world atlases planning routes. I've been looking for a 'meaningful' way to begin the journey and this Iron Curtain Trail really intrigues me. The route appears new, there's not much information about it on the 'web and so far I've not found any reference to anyone who's cycled it from end to end. I want to!

Can't believe I've never heard of this route before. Thank heavens for the internet!
bidi

Postby Sweep » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Sweep
(formerly Portland)
Sweep

Postby spicerack » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 pm

I love the Eurovelo scheme and have been dreaming about the Iron Curtain Trail for a few years. It looks like there has been some progress lately, but does anyone know how well all the sections meet up or how much is signed? I guess I should buy the guides if I really want to know.
spicerack

Postby spicerack » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 pm

spicerack

Return to Touring & Expedition