Hand-Built Wheels - Expectations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
irc

Re: Hand-Built Wheels - Expectations

Post by irc »

Thanks for the update. I'm going to be buying a new rear wheel soon. So I'll consider using Hewitt. Either them or Spa.
PhilPub

Post by PhilPub »

irc wrote:Thanks for the update. I'm going to be buying a new rear wheel soon. So I'll consider using Hewitt. Either them or Spa.

He's a long way from you down on the South coast but my recommendation for hand built wheels is Harry Rowland. He knows what he's doing.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've bought wheels from Hewitt, speaking to him over the phone, and he was very pleasant to deal with. He was happy to talk about components, and he even told me not to waste money on Dura Ace hubs when Ultegras were just as good for the application I had in mind. The wheels arrived after about a week and are still in good nick. And not even very expensive.

I've used Spa as well, and their wheels are also very reliable. But they don't like to consider components that they don't normally use. Mavic rims, for example.
PH

Post by PH »

Wheels I’ve had built by Hewitt, Spa and SJS have either lasted till the rim wore through or are still going strong, none have needed spoke adjustment.
Paul Hewitt offered good advice, was open to suggestion and would offer alternatives and recommendations on the discussion, it was always his speciality and he has a lot of product knowledge.
Spa offered a choice of what they do, they seemed to know the products they sell very well, but IMO it is quite a narrow range and when I asked advice comparing hubs they were non committal.
SJS tell you what you should have! That’s it. Their one redeeming feature is they put their money where their mouth is and I’ve found with other items if something goes wrong they’re keen to put it right.

I’ve also had a wheel built by Harry Rowland, my Rohloff hub on my choice of rim, a Rigida Grizzly. It split around the spokes after a couple of thousand miles, his response – The rims are no good, he wouldn’t have chosen it, though his website says he won’t use components he’s not happy with. The suggested remedy, have it rebuilt on a Sputnik, which if I’d had done in the first place would have been £60 cheaper.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I've had wheels built by both Spa and Harry Rowland and I would happily go back, or recommend them.
hondated

Post by hondated »

andymiller wrote:I've had wheels built by both Spa and Harry Rowland and I would happily go back, or recommend them.

+ 1 for Harry