BRAZIL: on the route of Pedro Alvares Cabral

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

BRAZIL: on the route of Pedro Alvares Cabral

Postby ConRAD » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:59 pm

As part of a longer term cycling journey, I shall start next week the round trip of Portugal starting from Faro (Algarve) and heading North along the border with Spain, then to North-West up to Viana do Castelo on the Atlantic coast and finally South down to Lisbon.
This one is intended to be the first leg of a two stages cycling project aimed to follow, at least ideally, the route of Pedro Alvares Cabral officially claimed to be the discoverer of Brazil.
In my planning the second part will take place on April 2014 along the historical pattern of Estrada Real (Brazil).
Coming back to Portugal is there anybody that already cycled this Country and that can advise?
Thank you in advance.
Corrado
Last edited by ConRAD on Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
ConRAD

Re: Seguindo a rota de Pedro Alvares Cabral

Postby JMaude » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Corrado,

I cannot offer you any direct experience of the route you are suggesting, but whilst doing some research for a possible trip that covers a section of the route I have found a good websites that might be useful:

Pedal Portugal - includes outline details of a number of routes:
http://pedalportugal.wordpress.com/

Crazyguyonabike is also a good resource and there is a couple riding to Lisbon at the moment:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 12556&v=eR

Meanwhile, I shall keep an eye on any information you receive via this forum.
JMaude

Postby ConRAD » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:37 am

Thank you for the answer.
Indeed I already had a look to the site "pedalportugal" that unfortunately appears now not to be active anymore.
Nevertheless as far as the central part of Portugal is concerned I've got inspiration from their "Castles Route".
Interesting also the second link, I'll go through it in the details to look for any possible useful hints.
One important question now is to have a clear picture of "cyclibility " of certain roads.
For sure roads classified as "IP-Itineràrio Principal" are definitely not allowed to bicycles as well as highways classified as "A-Autoroute".
What about roads classified as "IC-Itineràrio Complementar" ??
ConRAD

Postby iviehoff » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:04 am

You won't find cycling up the coastal strip in the vicinity of Porto very much fun, it's all very heavily built up with busy roads and if there are quiet ways through the maps aren't very good at finding them for you, and the signposts certainly won't help you, except occasionally to get to the next village. Several times I flew into Porto Airport and had great fun cycling into town, sometimes illegally cycling on the motorway as I just couldn't find a way through, even with a city street map, though these days you can use the metro to get out of the airport. From Aveiro northward you can get on a suburban train that can get you into and past this busy conurbation, which is much more built out than the region around Lisbon. Coming in the other direction, I didn't find leaving Aveiro much fun either until we'd got an hour or so away from the place: though being completely unable to find our way out of town onto minor roads we asked a cyclist who directed us just onto the road we were trying to avoid, clearly having a different understanding of "small road" from me.

What has happened in Portugal is that large new roads have been built mostly leaving the original road system there. So you can follow the old roads. it is just rather challenging to do so as the signposting of them is designed to discourage you doing it. And the maps rarely make clear just what is going on. I have ended up climbing over barriers onto A-roads, cycled a short distance along them, and climbed over barriers to leave them, because I could see where I wanted to be a short distance away, but couldn't work out how you were supposed to do it, all the while the signposts being very unhelpful, and the maps not having sufficient detail or accuracy. Maybe if you have a portable internet device you can zoom in on the satellite photos.

I'd look for a nice cycle route rather than trying accurately to follow this itinerary accurately, as there is lovely cycling if you deviate somewhat. It would be great shame not to visit the area of the Geres NP which is very lovely. Also I find Tras-os-Montes a lovely area. The east of Portugal is in general lovely cycling, but don't follow these lines too accurately, you'll find nicer routes a little distance away.

As far as I can tell IC routes are mainly concepts rather than being the road numbers. So whether you can cycle on them depends upon what classification each road piece has. See http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itiner%C3% ... mplementar I'm assuming you read Portuguese.
iviehoff

Postby ConRAD » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:23 pm

iviehoff wrote:...

thank you for the answer.

As far as cycling along the coast is concerned I was actually suspecting that Portugal is a little bit of a mess.
Now, while cycling, I don't have internet with me, neither I do carry paper maps as I normally prefer to have preloaded on my Montana 600 as a minimum three maps of the place I’m visiting: osm maps, velomaps (that give altitude information as well) and one garmin original city navigator map. Then, having the possibility to quickly swap from one to the other one at a simple touch, I normally manage to find the good road.
Not always unfortunately: recently indeed I had either the bad experience to find myself on a motorway close to Budapest and another time in France trying to get out of Montceau-les-Mines!!!
Now, coming back to what is allowed and what is not, according to the official web site of Estradas de Portugal *
, my understanding is that only “Autoestradas” classified as “IP-Itinerario Principal” are strictly forbidden.
The other “Autoestradas” classified as “IC-Itinerario Complementar” are not forbidden to bicycles, though not very much recommended from a point of view related to “fun”.
... well, let me see, I'll try to be as much as careful I can :shock:

* Nos itinerários principais é proibida a circulação de peões, velocípedes e veículos de tracção animal.
ConRAD

Postby andrew_s » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:59 pm

ConRAD wrote:my understanding is that only “Autoestradas” classified as “IP-Itinerario Principal” are strictly forbidden.
The other “Autoestradas” classified as “IC-Itinerario Complementar” are not forbidden to bicycles

Michelin appear not to know the difference (unlike Autovias/Autopistas in Spain), but least Google Maps seems to know which are what.
It may be a case of checking Google Maps and taking a list with you.
andrew_s

Postby ConRAD » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 pm

actually it's a bit confusing, however on the site of Estradas de Portugal is possible to make the download of a pdf file where the difference between IC and IP roads is clear enough. So e.g. as you can see A22 is IP1 East of Albufeira and IC4 on the West :shock:
ConRAD

Postby ConRAD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Faro (Algarve-Portugal), October 11th, 2013: something very familiar to me !!!

... however my "ROUND TRIP" OF PORTUGAL STARTS HERE ... tomorrow !!!!: http://prendoillargo.blogspot.com/
ConRAD

Postby ConRAD » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Just arrived today to Belmonte, hometown of Pedro Alvares Cabral.
Cycling in Portugal has been so far pretty smooth and finding the right roads reasonably easy.
I normally try not to abuse of gps navigation but a good device supported by valid maps definitely help a lot.
As far as IP roads are concerned, I confirm: IP roads are not allowed to bicycles but if you’re cycling along a national road like N18 that at a certain point for some reason changes classification into an IP road … simply don’t worry. Despite formal regulations, indeed, it seems that if there are not alternatives … well even IP’s are allowed!!
Cycling Portugal is definitely fantastic !!

ConRAD

Postby ConRAD » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:34 pm

So far, my round trip of Portugal seems to be finally over.
An overall of 25 days, 20 stages, 1578 km and 18360 m of cumulative climbing.
As far as weather was concerned I must say that I was lucky enough throughout all the trip except for a couple of terrible days in the between Amarante and Viana do Castelo with stretches of mountain roads transformed into dreadful torrents.
No problem at all with the traffic and with proper roads identification; sign posts indicating either places and road classification (e.g. IP,IC,EN, N, CM, etc.) were always pretty clear, nevertheless gps+velomap/osm has been essential throughout.

If you want to give a look the whole trip is now available HERE, for the time being it's in Italian only but, of course, I can always add English text or notes whether required.

Of all the 20 stages I have also the actual/recorded gps tracks (as gpx files), if anybody needs them just ask.
ConRAD

Re: On the route of Pedro Alvares Cabral

Postby ConRAD » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:29 am

Just resuming my long trip on the other side of the Atlantic, on the road now ... HERE
ConRAD

Return to Touring & Expedition