Show me your underwear

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaleFTW

Show me your underwear

Post by DaleFTW »

:P

I'm after some bike specific undercrackers for when I'm off on the touring bike. I'm ditching the padded shorts/bibs and will just be using a pair of Rapha (Obviously) touring shorts. Problem is, my Calvin Kleins aren't very comfortable on the bike.

I'm thinking merino, can anyone recommend anything?

Cheers. :D
eileithyia

Re: Show me your underwear

Post by eileithyia »

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

I sprayed some brown contact adhesive on a pair of plain keks which I keep at the top of my pannier. I reckon it should sufficiently repulse anyone rifling through that they will leave the rest undisturbed.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

eileithyia wrote:http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/padded-underwear.html

Moving away from pads I'm afraid.
PH

Post by PH »

I'm trying these sports trunks, from M&S. I haven't ridden over 30 miles in them yet, or in extreme weather, but so far they're looking like they might be OK for me. They're cheap enough at £18 for two pairs. I've decided I need to move away from padded shorts on tour, they just take too long to wash and dry.
http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pack-Spo ... hru=Browse
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Will give them a look, cheers.

Other ones I'm looking at are some Rab MeCo ones and some Icebreakers, but they're 30 quid a pop!
PH

Post by PH »

I've found I need a long leg or they ride up and become uncomfortable. None of these seem to have the same sort of leg gripper you'd expect on padded cycling shorts. I have a pair of rohan trunks that are fantastic in every other respect but are too short in the leg. There's also the option of non padded lycra shorts as worn by runners. though on the cheap pair I have the seams are in the wrong place for cycling.
meic

Post by meic »

I also use a pair of Rohan Trunks

http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/M ... e=02786595

I did 150 miles in them yesterday and just ordinary shorts outside of them. No problems but I dont have a Brooks saddle on that bike. :wink:

Nice and light, compact to pack, easy to wash and dry.
They are very thin offering no cushioning at all but I havent found any seams that wear holes in my posterior yet.

Unfortunately too expensive now to buy another pair and a lot of money to pay only to find you dont like them.
Yma o Hyd
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have tried most to the padded underpants and none even come close to being comfortable for wearing on tours. I can second the choice of Rohan's but they are expensive. Best in my opinion are Thai Silk boxers, I get them off ebay for about £15 for 5 pairs.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
newislander

Post by newislander »

Some places your padded dacks will dry overnight eg india.

However when i was in France i didn't expect them to dry overnight so i had a pair of zumba pants (which are lycra tights to the knee) to wear for the other times. They were fine. I did not wear underwear under them. I only take one pair of undies with me touring. They are for when i wear a dress. I just make sure to wash my duds every night whatever i wear. I actually don't even always wash the whole garment. Often i just wash the crotch and usually i can get this dry enough overnight.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I was pleased with the Icebreaker merino shorts this summer. Having said that, the basic Decathlon sports underwear was also good (and costs about 6 times less!).
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Not Merino but I have some Rohan Cool Silver Trunks which are fast drying. Mostly for off-bike use but the seams don't chafe if I wear them while cycling.
shane

Post by shane »

I'm becoming quite a fan of the X-bionics gear. The padded undies work great as do the normal onces. The padded ones did need a couple of thousand km's before they where really comfy though. Sadly they got nikked off a washing line in Tanzania so I had to break another pair in :shock:

The only serious down side is the price........ :twisted:
gordy

Post by gordy »

I use these M&S briefs under unpadded shorts. No problems at all at 500 miles per week on tour with a Brooks saddle.. Padding of any type is a nuisance, IMHO.
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

gordy wrote:I use these M&S briefs under unpadded shorts. No problems at all at 500 miles per week on tour with a Brooks saddle.. Padding of any type is a nuisance, IMHO.

I ran that setup for a while, but I found when I cut back the miles and ramped up again the next summer it always took about 2 weeks for the Brooks to break my buttock in. It's comfortable in the end, but I think rather than the saddle tenderising, your buttock leatherises. Still just the M&S duds and shorts, but the Brooks eventually had to go!