touring on a folder

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JJF

Re: touring on a folder

Post by JJF »

I have a Bike Friday New World Tourist which I bought in 1999.

I bought it following a very positive article in Cycle mag in 1995. In particular I was looking for ride quality and I haven't been disappointed. The folded size is bigger than, say Dahons and a lot bigger than Brompton.

I've toured in Britain and several European countries. These are moving-on tours in B&Bs and hotels, not camping. Luggage is carried in a bar bag and conventional panniers or sometimes a large Carradice saddlebag.

On only one occasion (a CTC tour) have I put it a suitcase to go by air. That worked very well.
I haven't got the convertible suitcase trailer. I've also put in a soft bag to go on Eurostar.
In my view it is an excellent touring bike.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

germany tour for ctc.jpg

First time to get a photo on - someone else may be able to make it bigger (please!)
In front is an elderly Bike Friday and behind a borrowed Airnimal.
The Friday is mine and coped better than the Airnimal because it had better carrying capacity.
This was in 2011 on a 21 day camping tour in Germany, the Romantic Route, followed by a trip into Bavarian Alps to Munich. Had to use folders because of size limitations on Eurostar and ICE trains in Germany.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bikepacker wrote:
Portland wrote:
bikepacker wrote:We have used Dahons on fixed base cycling holidays with no problems. In my experience they are fine.

I note the fixed base. If you get a problem, you can just put it in the back of a car.

Iy.

Why would you assume I used a car? :?

We transported the bikes in suitcases by air to Mallorca, where we often spend some of the winter months.

I didn't really.

But it might help in my opinion (others on here disagree) - I had to call someone with a car a few weeks ago on mine when I had a somewhat unusual wheel problem.

On a more positive note, when I get a mo and if I can find the pics I'll post a couple of pics of mine on its good days - from a trip in Sardinia as well jezer - didn't see you though.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

dahonsard.jpg

Here you are. Wasn't carrying anything (wouldn't risk that) - just a long day ride
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

dahonsard2.jpg
and another.
Sweep
paieye

Post by paieye »

I toured twice on the Continent last year -- the Rhine, then the Danube, about a week each time. I rode my faithful Brompton. It excited a good deal of admiration, and was superb in all respects, save 1. With 16"-road-wheels and 2 gears, you cannot expect to keep up with companions on bicycles with 28" road-wheels and 21 gears. I shall go back to Germany next month to cycle along the Main with 3 companions, and this time shall be taking a lightweight hybrid. If I were going on my own, though, I should use the Brompton again.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've toured five or six times, and once for 17 days, on a Moulton APB.
Great touring bike though I could've done with a slightly lower gear. You can split them in two in 2 minutes. They are much stronger than any folding bike except maybe a Montague, of which I've no experience.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

paieye wrote:With 16"-road-wheels and 2 gears, you cannot expect to keep up with companions on bicycles with 28" road-wheels and 21 gears.

I've been left way behind by someone on a folder. With the right gearing they can whizz along. The main issue is probably the range of gears available.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

My folder pictured above has just 21 gears.

3 speed internal hub with a 7-speed casette.

SRAM dual drive - excellent.

Probably the best geared bike I have.

At about 45kph I spin out but that doesn't bother me - I don't race.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sorry to maybe be a downer but on the (hopefully historical issue) of spare parts problems for Dahons I came across this (by accident when looking for something else)

http://www.ternbicycles.com/forum/will- ... ts-problem

includes the honest but quite incredible statement from someone who appears to be Josh Hon

"In the past, we never had a spare parts inventory or warehouse. So if the local distributor didn't have a part and had to order it from us, the wait could be many, many months."

Mirrors my past experience and that of some bike trade folks.

Tis incredible I know.
Sweep
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Been touring on an Airnimal Chameleon for 10 years - brilliant, no real compromise in ride, it did Alpine passes this month only hindered by me! Light, stable, not cheap :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
groberts

Post by groberts »

foxyrider wrote:Been touring on an Airnimal Chameleon for 10 years - brilliant, no real compromise in ride, it did Alpine passes this month only hindered by me! Light, stable, not cheap

I like the look and ride of the Chameleon too (tried one out earlier this year) but what sort of luggage do you carry - tent, panniers etc?
Si

Post by Si »

It'll take a good amount - normal rack on the rear and they do a 'touring' fork that has low rider mounts for the front. Mine was OK ride-wise with a fair amount on the rear (couple of full large panniers with short tour stuff) but I didn't like the touring fork as it was quite stiff compared to the carbon fork. but having had three of them break in five years (chameleons, not carbon forks) I lost confidence in them and I doubt that I could bring my self to tour on one although I know that many others have done so without incident.
I did find the front a bit stiff with the carbon fork to start with, but stuck a 28mm tyre on and double taped the bars and it felt more like my 653 race bike after that.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

groberts wrote:
I like the look and ride of the Chameleon too (tried one out earlier this year) but what sort of luggage do you carry - tent, panniers etc?

Done kitchen sink and lightweight, just been to Switzerland passes etc for a couple of weeks with tent etc without any issues - except my fitness! I have done lots of personal preference choices with the kit as its not one of the 'off the peg' models - all adds to the fun! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
quack

Post by quack »

I've toured in Germany and Austria using my Birdy Rohloff with expedition rack. Travelled by rail/eurostar/night sleeper with no probs (birdy in its padded bag). As for luggage, the usual Ortlieb back rollers plus handlebar bag (with padded bike bag on top of rack). Handling not much different to a full-size bike (whether 700 tourer or 26" mtb in my experience). Mainly an issue of the additional weight.
My only nag with the Birdy was that in excursions in Austria (without luggage), I sometimes travelled up hills in cable cars for the joy of hurtling downhill on the roads, and found that then the rim brakes tend to overheat the rims, leading to a puncture by the valve. You can get discs for birdys now, but that's a step too far for me.
In fact, I'm wondering about selling the birdy. Difficult to justify very occasional use, even if it's a joy to take it on train or bus as hand luggage.