Anyone recommend any good books?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Urticaria

Re: Anyone recommend any good books?

Post by Urticaria »

cjwdrw wrote:The retired headmistress referred to is Anne Mustoe. She was a classic history teacher who cycled alone around the world. We found the book fascinating, although a bit of a history lesson in parts.

I couldn't finish this book, so, cruelly, gave it away. She had this habit of providing the latin name for everything, and engineering opportunities to mention some ancients from history. If the person she name dropped was well known and from the 20th century, the sentence would end "with whom I took tea at the Waldorf in 1956"
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Squeezebox wrote:
DaleFTW wrote:
dgibby wrote:I've quite a collection of cycle travel books and agree with most posts to date. Al Humphreys are prob my favourite reads.

Another couple I enjoyed
Johnny Ginger's Last Ride by Tom Fremantle http://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnny-Gingers- ... +last+ride

Why don't you fly by Chris Smith http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Back-Door- ... 7t+you+fly

He just unfollowed me on Twitter, <i>[rude word removed]</i> him.

I downloaded that Cycles, Tents and Two Young Gents before bed last night, that's alright so far.

Who unfollowed you ?

Al Humphreys I guess. Not me...........!
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

:lol:

Slightly o/t but I'd heartily recommend - http://tracksterman.tumblr.com/post/568 ... the-movies
lebuski

Post by lebuski »

I have recently read and can recommend the following two books. They both describe long distance expeditions done on shoestring budgets using old mountain bikes.
These are not romanticised travelogues but show a reality of overcoming fatigue, sickness, broken bikes and lack of funding.

Dividing the Great by John Metcalfe
Cycling Home from Siberia by Rob Lilwall
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

+1 For Around the World on a Wheel. In total contrast to today's travel writing, by the end of the book you don't even know the travellers' first names, leave alone their likes, loves and dislikes! JUST READ IT!
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I enjoyed Travels With Rosinante, Bernard Magnouloux (1988) when I read it about 20 years ago :shock: There are a few bits looking back that I may view differently now but there you go......

Also, Ian Hibbell's into the remote places is worth reading. It does make cycle touring sound painful and unpleasant though.

I agree with those who like Josie Dew? I enjoyed her books - in a similar way to enjoying Bill Bryson I guess. Maybe that's unfair?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Here's a couple of travel-writing standards I've enjoyed:
    A Short Walk In The Hindu Kush by Eric Newby
    Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K Jerome
Both are easy to read and share the sort of self-depreciating humour that the travelling 'English Gent' had a reputation for. Funnily enough, both authors had a go at cycle-specific follow-ups, neither of which I enjoyed anywhere near as much as the two above.
Oh, and The Adventures of a Motor-Cycle Despatch Rider During the First World War by WHL Watson (what a title!). My enjoyment of the author's recollection of his war-time experience is probably coloured by the fact that my grandfather did more or less the same - they may even have met!, but it's quite a good read. Not exactly a traditional travel book but it does combine cycling and going abroad...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I don't think he's been mentioned yet, Patrick Leigh Fermor is well worth a read, especially "A Time of Gifts". He walked across Europe to Constantinople, setting off in 1933 and then worked on secret military missions in Crete during the war.

Not cycling related but fantastic travel writing, especially given the historically significant timing. He also experienced a lot of the generosity from strangers that cycle tourists can still find today!
slattery

Post by slattery »

If you can find a copy probably on amazon if anywhere PEDALS AND PETTYCOATS by Mary Elsy
Its about 4 girls in the 1950's cycle camp around post war Europe. Its well written and no pretencious
language. Could not put it down.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jamesgilbert wrote:I don't think he's been mentioned yet, Patrick Leigh Fermor is well worth a read, especially "A Time of Gifts". He walked across Europe to Constantinople, setting off in 1933 and then worked on secret military missions in Crete during the war.

Read it years ago- I must admit that my memory is that it was somewhat fey and arch - I think I maybe gave up on it.

Was surprised years later that (as you point out) he was involved in serious daring stuff in WWII. His experiences in Crete were I think turned into a film but very probably somewhat fictionalised. Brit WWII films not to be trusted as history.

Apologies if I seem negative or off topic.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

slattery wrote:If you can find a copy probably on amazon if anywhere PEDALS AND PETTYCOATS by Mary Elsy
Its about 4 girls in the 1950's cycle camp around post war Europe. Its well written and no pretencious
language. Could not put it down.

Ta for the recommendation - rings a bell - may have seen it in a bookshop. Great title definitely puts it before the Beatles :) And I see that one of the Amazon reviwers describes it as being about "four feisty British gals" :)

Thanks again - don't suppose there's much sex in it though ....
Sweep
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

I have just read French Revolution s by Tim Moore, really good.

No sex in that though either :wink:
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Recently read Astrid Doming Molyneaux and Circling the World. Low key, practical and not techie. Her trust in her faith doesn't get over egged and she is really quite inspiring when she relates her encounters along the Camino de Santiago and through Iran. Her travel was facilitated trans continents. By cargo boats soloed leisurely. Postcards from the Edge of Britain(sic) was a great read but you need to google for author and buyit from him. Dry and practical
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Update on names etc
Cycling Full Circle is by Astrid Domingo Molyneaux. Postcards from the Edge of Britain is by Peter Mann. Don't buy either from Amazon. The latter in particular is obscenely expensive so buying from the authors is about a tenner.