Anyone recommend any good books?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Big T

Re: Anyone recommend any good books?

Post by Big T »

hgtevelo wrote:I have just read French Revolution s by Tim Moore, really good.

No sex in that though either :wink:

I've read that too. really funny - I especially like the bit where he's trying out SPD pedals for the first time!
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
700c

Post by 700c »

Just finished "Every Inch of the Way; My Bike Ride Around the World" by Tom Bruce. About £5 on Kindle.

The writer has a closed mind on a lot of things. An interesting enough read though.

Worth a fiver? Just about.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

simonineaston wrote:Oh, and The Adventures of a Motor-Cycle Despatch Rider During the First World War by WHL Watson (what a title!). My enjoyment of the author's recollection of his war-time experience is probably coloured by the fact that my grandfather did more or less the same - they may even have met!, but it's quite a good read. Not exactly a traditional travel book but it does combine cycling and going abroad...

...which I just found on Project Gutenberg - with maps! ;-)
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16868/16 ... 6868-h.htm
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bjames

Post by Bjames »

700c wrote:Just finished "Every Inch of the Way; My Bike Ride Around the World" by Tom Bruce. About £5 on Kindle.

The writer has a closed mind on a lot of things. An interesting enough read though.

Worth a fiver? Just about.

I didn't get that when I read it, which things are you referring to? Found it a fascinating read and was amazed that so much could be packed into a 9 month trip. Definitely recommend it
Lone Rider

Post by Lone Rider »

I have just downloaded "Four cheeks to the wind" from Amazon for free. It's about a 58 year old woman and her husband cycling slowly round the world. I am really enjoying the book, and the more I read, the better it gets.
Mad_Hatter

Post by Mad_Hatter »

This is a book I am reading at the moment, very informative: http://travellingtwo.com/
fatty

Post by fatty »

Every inch of the way by Tom Bruce was very good thoroughly enjoyed it.

Liked janapar too also a good read
newislander

Post by newislander »

I need to make a big public apology. Some post back I gave negative feedback on a book called bicycle diaries by David Byrne. I'M SORRY DAVID!

At the time i had read about two chapters. Since then i have read most of the book and have changed my opinion completely. So as not to waste my investment completely, i took the book with me on my recent bike ride to Uluru in Australia (a two week ride) as a book i could read if i had time (usually i don't have time to read) and could throw out when i finished it to lighten my load. Well I am glad i gave it a second chance because i have been enjoying the book and valuing his approach and his willingness to share his thoughts about all sorts of things with the world. In fact, strangely it turns out that this is just the sort of thing/book i wish more people would do and read. As a result i might one day end up going to buenos Aires which is his favourite city, though it would probably be a different place for me completely because i'm not the music buff that he is.

So now i've got that off my chest, i hope everyone has a good evening and maybe reconsider this book if you took my earlier words to heart.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Just finished reading "Cycling Home from Siberia" by Rob Lilwall and thoroughly enjoyed it. He took a very indirect rout via Japan, Papua New Guinea, Australia then through mainland Asia, China, Tibet, the Stans, Iran and then back through Europe.

He's a friend of Alistair Humphreys and they actually cycled together for a while before Al decided to take a more direct route home. Rob is quite religious and does philosophise about Christianity and compares it to various other religions during his journey, but this didn't spoil the travelogue.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Yowsah

Post by Yowsah »

I've just finished 'Cycling to the Ashes' by Oli Broom. I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I also enjoy cricket. The book is an account of Oli's ride to Australia from London to see the Ashes Tour which was won by Andrew Strauss's side. Well worth a look!
crossy

Post by crossy »

Reading a two good books at the moment Take a Seat by Dominic Gill Alaska to tip of South America on a tandem with no one on the back just asking for passengers. The other is Charly Wegelius Domestique interesting to read about a middle of the pack rider not the winning ones
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Dean

Post by Dean »

Take a Seat is good - there was a lovely TV programme, too (the idea of riding the Americas on a tandem and picking up stokers along the way was the TV producer's idea, when Dominic was trying to get a TV deal). He was really engaging, which I never found to be true about Mark Beaumont.

A couple I haven't seen mentioned:

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Nick and Dick Crane, which is available as a free PDF download somewhere on the web. Their expedition to the most inland place in the world, including entertaining photos of their severe weight reduction strategies.

And Into the Remote Places by Ian Hibell, which you may find in your local library (Durham Clayport used to have a copy, for anyone in the NE). He was among the first cycle tourers, and though it's written in a slightly breathless Boys' Own Adventure style, the sense of real adventure and heading into the unknown leaps out at you.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Slugs By Shaun Hutson... Just the thing to snuggle up with while you're wild camping in this damp weather :D

A thing to remember before you sleep is there are no foot long slugs that'll chew through the bottom of the sleeping bag to get to the soft crunchy goodness inside.....

Pleasant Dreams

Emma
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Just bought a Nook (a Kindle type eBook reader). I really resisted buying something like this as I am in love with physical books and everything about them. But, I just have no room left at home and when I went camping or on holiday I found I was restricted by weight of books.

Anyway- Nooks are pretty cheap and light, and the battery seems to last for weeks! So I am now on the hunt for books.(preferably without spending too much)

I read there is some kind of lending scheme for eBooks and people can loan them to each other via email or some 'link'

Anyone here heard of the lending thing and how to do it and want to lend any? I've got a few already. (I can read Kindle things too, I think)

I just went to look for the book mentioned a couple of posts up called 'Four cheeks to the wind' on Amazon but it's not free anymore.

Drop me a PM if you want to 'swap' or loan...

EDIT- sorry to original poster if this seems a bit off topic, but it seamed pretty much on the spirit of the thread.
If it helps to keep it on topic I just read 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed. Very good, but I wanted more description of the travelling and nature than her life and autobiographical notes.