Child/multi purpose trailer for a Brompton

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hoogerbooger

Child/multi purpose trailer for a Brompton

Post by hoogerbooger »

Anyone able to advise. I want a light weight trailer to tour with border collie dog and or camping kit - and which makes a sensible general load carrier around town.

I was thinking a child trailer with canopy is sensible with the dog to help stop it trying to get out /keep it dry. looked at the Large carry-freedomY frame trailer but can't work out what to bolt to it that will flat pack for trains and storage.

Whilst I wouldn't always be using a Brompton, I'd like to sometimes

Anyone know of a solution ? - that works with Brompton.
old fangled
shouldbeinbed

Re: Child/multi purpose trailer for a Brompton

Post by shouldbeinbed »

I had a Burley 2 seat & small luggage compartment trailer with seatbelts, that hitched absolutely brilliantly to the back of my Birdy. It folded flat, was up in moments and had a good solid frame. It could be fully open front, bug shield and full waterproof windscreen. I kept it for a few years after the kids outgrew it as a weekly shopping lugger.

The linkage, frame & seats were solid enough that I flipped it over once with the kids in it & they thought it was an adventure ride & wanted me to do it again.
shane

Post by shane »

Some options here I quite like, I'll be getting a radical design trailer once I can miss that kind of cash :roll:

http://www.shanecycles.com/carrying-lug ... ding-bike/
ed123

Post by ed123 »

we have a Burley trailer for kids- the Solo I think. Not cheap but very good. Has been all over- lightweight, great hitch, collapses and up again v quickly.

they do trailers for 'Animal companions' too but can't the dog walk/run?
sophiejemima

Post by sophiejemima »

Sorry to latch onto this thread, but I am also looking for a trailer to fit to a brompton for my daughter. I am totally new to cycling and visited a local cycle store for him to say that there are no trailers that will fit the chain stay or would have clearance between that and the spokes. I am not very d.i.y orientated and don't want to mess to much with the bike, need it to be safe and not too expensive. Any makes of trailers that will definitely fit a brompton? Thanks so much
Graham

Post by Graham »

sophiejemima wrote:Sorry to latch onto this thread, but I am also looking for a trailer to fit to a brompton for my daughter. I am totally new to cycling and visited a local cycle store for him to say that there are no trailers that will fit the chain stay or would have clearance between that and the spokes. I am not very d.i.y orientated and don't want to mess to much with the bike, need it to be safe and not too expensive. Any makes of trailers that will definitely fit a brompton? Thanks so much

The Henshaw family, owners and authors, of AtoB Magazine have been living with Bromptons and trailers for years.
Here is a start-point for you.
http://www.atob.org.uk/bicycle-trailers ... -trailers/

Have a look around the website and ask them directly if you can't find the info.

EDIT - found in the section "Which Bike ?" at the bottom of that page . . .
AtoB wrote:You can tow almost any sort of trailer with almost any sort of bike, but some combinations can be hard work.When we had nothing more suitable, we pulled our big heavy home-made trailer with an old (and poorly braked) Brompton L3, using a hitch right under the saddle. No one ever fell off, but hills were hard work.
Last edited by Graham on 24 Jul 2014, 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited in a relevant quote.
sophiejemima

Post by sophiejemima »

Thank you very much. Will check it out, appreciate your help.