Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Furkuk

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Post by Furkuk »

I use a Burley Travoy. Expensive but very good quality. Folds flat for storage.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

regarding efficiency of Bob Yak type trailers.

If my A level maths has been remembered right, assuming the centre of gravity of a loaded trailer is half way between the rear cycle wheel and trailer axles, then each axle will bear half the load. To get better efficiency heavier items need to be put closer to the trailer wheel, thereby shift the centre of gravity toward the trailer wheel. So the design not that good for the rear bike wheel, just allows more bulky items to be carried? Seems like the ExtraWheel type better in this respect where all the weight on the trailer wheel; wish it wasnt so expensive? Shouldnt be as made in Poland.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Seems like Rosebikes stock suitable skewers for these cheap bob yak trailers -

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-q ... aid:341175

it looks like it may be an improvement over the original one - certainly looks different

Wolfgang Böhm
(Written on 2013-08-20, 07:49:09)
Have the axis tested on a 1500 km trip at 30 kg of luggage in the trailer and I can say: A great tension axis for the "Cheap Chain" (which here at Rose unfortunately is a bit expensive), significantly better than the old original axis: High better handle on The switch side longer overhang so that the controller can not be damaged by the drawbar and better support through good tooth contact surfaces of the dropouts. If you then a piece of heat shrink tubing, mounted on the pins, no more rattles and the trailer. This part is worth the money!

I have contacted Rosebikes about their skewer and they tell me the one in the picture is the one they are selling - unlike the cheap and nasty one u can get with the trailer ( the one that in my case broke ) or the one that the UK Ebay site I mentioned in an earlier post are selling.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Seems like SJS has the hopefully better made skewer back in stock for their not so cheap M-Wave trailer, which seems to be the same as the cheapo trailer u can get elsewhere

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-qr-sk ... rc=emstock

This seems to be the same that Rosebikes are selling?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

here is an interesting trailer I saw on ebay -

needs lots of panniers though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-trailer-Kool-Mule-/160888901640?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2575b9d008

AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

mercalia wrote:Seems like SJS has the hopefully better made skewer back in stock for their not so cheap M-Wave trailer, which seems to be the same as the cheapo trailer u can get elsewhere

Just thought I'd jump into this thread. I have recently purchased a Skiiddii trailer from Amazon, after being fully aware of the build and expecting something not as 'expedition proof' as Bob Yak. Paying less than a quarter of the price, I wouldn't expect too much. I was reasonably pleased with the construction of the trailer, but the Achilles heel of this has got to to be the QR skewer supplied with it. The lever can travel 'past' the lock point and then pivots to a 'slack' position again if you are not careful, and the build quality of the skewer may give doubts. However, pursuing the idea that my tours this year will only be for a few days at a time, but with a load, I though it best to a) just be careful with the fitment and b) get a spare skewer to take out with me. Following this thread I looked at the Rosebikes skewer, and the SJS M-Wave. Both looked identical to mine. I opted to get one from SJS. As expected, exactly the same, but I had a small problem (not SJSs fault) where the retaining clip fell of the QR skewer as soon as I flipped the lever! SJS as always are really great and immediately gave me options to sort the issue out. To cut a long story short, I thought I'd try a Bob Yak skewer and remove the bobbins so that the ends fit the trailer (as the bobbins are a larger diameter than those of the Skiiddii - I did a bit of homework). End result, a perfectly fitting skewer, with some large thick washers added to keep the trailer arm where it should be.

For a few extra quid, this gives a viable solution to the issue, and a spare (original) skewer still, just in case. :)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

AdyJapp wrote:
mercalia wrote:Seems like SJS has the hopefully better made skewer back in stock for their not so cheap M-Wave trailer, which seems to be the same as the cheapo trailer u can get elsewhere

Just thought I'd jump into this thread. I have recently purchased a Skiiddii trailer from Amazon, after being fully aware of the build and expecting something not as 'expedition proof' as Bob Yak. Paying less than a quarter of the price, I wouldn't expect too much. I was reasonably pleased with the construction of the trailer, but the Achilles heel of this has got to to be the QR skewer supplied with it. The lever can travel 'past' the lock point and then pivots to a 'slack' position again if you are not careful, and the build quality of the skewer may give doubts. However, pursuing the idea that my tours this year will only be for a few days at a time, but with a load, I though it best to a) just be careful with the fitment and b) get a spare skewer to take out with me. Following this thread I looked at the Rosebikes skewer, and the SJS M-Wave. Both looked identical to mine. I opted to get one from SJS. As expected, exactly the same, but I had a small problem (not SJSs fault) where the retaining clip fell of the QR skewer as soon as I flipped the lever! SJS as always are really great and immediately gave me options to sort the issue out. To cut a long story short, I thought I'd try a Bob Yak skewer and remove the bobbins so that the ends fit the trailer (as the bobbins are a larger diameter than those of the Skiiddii - I did a bit of homework). End result, a perfectly fitting skewer, with some large thick washers added to keep the trailer arm where it should be.

For a few extra quid, this gives a viable solution to the issue, and a spare (original) skewer still, just in case. :)

Thanks for telling use that the M-Wave skewer not much different from the one that u get with these cheap trailers; save me some money , I dont want one of them!

I had been wondering if the bob yak skewer could be used in some way.

so the end bits that attach the trailer actually come off the lever side of the bob yak skewer & all you did was to screw the Skiiddii one on in its stead? much as I did but using 5m threaded rod?

could u add a picture of the final work so there is not doubt what you did?
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

mercalia wrote:
AdyJapp wrote:

Thanks for telling use that the M-Wave skewer not much different from the one that u get with these cheap trailers; save me some money , I dont want one of them!

I had been wondering if the bob yak skewer could be used in some way.

so the end bits that attach the trailer actually come off the lever side of the bob yak skewer & all you did was to screw the Skiiddii one on in its stead? much as I did but using 5m threaded rod?

could u add a picture of the final work so there is not doubt what you did?

Yes, I'll grab a shot and post it next week. Essentially, the Bob Skewer has removal bobbins. By sheer fluke, if you remove the bobbins, the resultant 'ends' are about the right diameter for the trailer to slot onto. The only issue then is to ensure that the trailer stays on the 'ends'. So, you can either re-use the allen bolts that come with it and for a nice thick washer along with the lock washer provided, or use a longer threaded M5 bolt, and an alloy spacer and washer. I'm going to experiment a bit more with it, to make it as sturdy as I can, but it looks like a far better setup than the other skewers. Here's a diagram (on the instructions) to show how the Bob Yak skewer is constructed: http://www.bobgear.com/uploads/cms/files/qr_oma34b.pdf

The other issue that I thought I might have would be with the wheel. The rim isn't the best quality (obviously I guess), so I did a bit of poking around, and found a non-quick release Wilkinson wheel that might be a bit better quality. I've taken a punt and order one from Evans. Still a quarter of the price of the Bob Yak, even with my additions and fettling!!

Photos soon.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

AdyJapp wrote:
The other issue that I thought I might have would be with the wheel. The rim isn't the best quality (obviously I guess), so I did a bit of poking around, and found a non-quick release Wilkinson wheel that might be a bit better quality. I've taken a punt and order one from Evans. Still a quarter of the price of the Bob Yak, even with my additions and fettling!!

Photos soon.

probably the same wheel on mine. I think the wheel it self is ok. alloy rim ( marked Ying de) quite true and radial spokes very very tight. tyre seems good 16x1.75, nylon. Bearings are modules rather than separate balls , which I rather like - very smooth. But on mine the bearing modules are not a tight fit in the hub, in fact loose, they just drop out if u undoe the bolts. And the wheel wobbles a bit if u rotate by hand. I havent noticed any trailer wobble in practice and at least means easy to replace them without any tools. Maybe use some loctite to deal with this?

The thing that is really poor on this trailer is the paint - comes off very easy in my case. But then since it was free no reason to complain.

One thing I would suggest is that owners loctite the little spring loaded screw that is part of the locking mechanism. It is only very light spring loaded & impossible to replace if u lose it & your trailer is then just junk.
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

As promised, here is part 1 of my trailer fettling exercise! Might as well post more photos as I modify. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this... :)

So, the initial skewer that came with the trailer is as pictured below (Figure 1).
Figure 1: Top - original skewer, below, additional skewer
Figure 1: Top - original skewer, below, additional skewer

So I wasn't entirely convinced by the original skewer. It seemed a bit loose on tightening the QR lever, and it dodn't have a 'stop', so could potentially 'cam over' and loosen.
The second skewer bought to allay my fears and have a spare did exactly the opposite, as can be seen in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Very poor clip.
Figure 2: Very poor clip.

Which meant that, as per Figure 3, the whole system fails.
Figure 3: Failure of the QR!! :O
Figure 3: Failure of the QR!! :O

I could by this time have thought that it would just be a case of finding a better circlip or something, but I wasn't convinced that this was the best option. As noted above, the guys at SJS were brilliant, and I decided to 'try' the Bob Yak/Ibex skewer, QR9600 - Figure 4.
Figure 4: Standard 140mm Bob Yak Skewer
Figure 4: Standard 140mm Bob Yak Skewer
yak145skewerbig.jpg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

This is an entirely different construction than the skewer supplied with my trailer, but having done a bit of research, I thought that I could get a better quality piece of equipment, and modify it, so...
The end of the Bob Yak Skewer has a replaceable bobbin that the Bob Yak attaches to (Figure 5: nice idea - I'm getting to see why they are more expensive, and trusted for their quality). This bobbin however, is too large a diameter to fit the trailer that I have, so my plan was to take a look at removing this, and modifying the system to accomodate the design of my trailer.
Figgure 5: Bobbin, retained by 5mm allen bolt, washer and lock washer.
Figgure 5: Bobbin, retained by 5mm allen bolt, washer and lock washer.

Carry onto next post (only 5 attachments per post...).
Last edited by AdyJapp on 15 Jan 2014, 7:41am, edited 1 time in total.
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

Continued...

So, as per Figure 6, I removed the bobbins, put them, the original M5 bolts and washer aside, and kept the lock washers.
Figure 6: Dismantled
Figure 6: Dismantled

So, the idea was to utilise the skewer in exactly the same way as the original. The original fits as per the Figure 7:
Figure 7: Original skewer in place.
Figure 7: Original skewer in place.

In order to do this, I needed to put a 'retainer' on the end of the skewer. I thought of a washer at first, with the original screws and lock washer, but then though that any lateral movement might 'bend' a mild steel washer, and be a source of potential failure. I therefore decided to manufacture an alloy 'intermediate' spacer/washer. From rooting around in the shed, I found some alloy spacers that I'd kept over from a TV mounting bracket, that looked like they might just do the job (Figure 8 ).
Figure 8: Amazing what you can find in the shed.
Figure 8: Amazing what you can find in the shed.

Now I didn't need to have a washer so long, so I decided to cut one down and use a one around 3-4mm thick.
Figure 9: Hacksaw and file...
Figure 9: Hacksaw and file...

Then, I used 1BA washer for the inside washer (to protect the alloy spacer, and overlap where it meets the trailer), and a slightly smaller washer on the outside with the original lock washer there to help retain things. I also used some 20mm long M5 allen screws, with around 4 threads sawn off (Figure 10). 15mm long screws would do the job just as well, but I didn't have any to hand.
Figure 10: The parts
Figure 10: The parts

Onto the next post...
Last edited by AdyJapp on 15 Jan 2014, 7:44am, edited 1 time in total.
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

..and on we go.
Figure 11: The order of assembly for each side of the skewer
Figure 11: The order of assembly for each side of the skewer

Figure 12: The screw assembled and ready to try
Figure 12: The screw assembled and ready to try

Figures 13 and 14 show the completed assembly, and looks as though, this might work(!)
Figure 13: Close-up
Figure 13: Close-up

Figure 14: Should work - hopefully...
Figure 14: Should work - hopefully...

I'll more than likely stick a dab of Loctite on the threads of the screws to keep them in place before I use this in anger.

...next post...
Last edited by AdyJapp on 15 Jan 2014, 7:46am, edited 1 time in total.
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

When fitted, it not only fitted well, but seemed to have less lateral play than the original.
Figure 15 shows that it fits without obscuring the pivot screw for the latch, and Figure 16, is with the latch in place.
Figure 15: In place, latch disengaged
Figure 15: In place, latch disengaged

Figure 16: Latch engaged. Damned neat perfect fit... :)
Figure 16: Latch engaged. Damned neat perfect fit... :)

I have had this on the bike, but didn't have room to set it up and take a photo tonight. When I've got my Wilkinson wheel (hopefully here in a couple of days, I'll set it up and see how it looks (and rides). More photos to come.

Watch this space... :)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Interesting AdyJapp. I see you changed both sides of the bob yak skewer? did you try using the screw on non lever side of the original that just screws on - the non lever side of the bob yak skewer can be completely removed just exposing the thread of the rod? Its only the lever side that really is a problem?

also regarding the skewer you got from SJS, how was the rod attached to the gubbins that goes into the lever. In my case it was scewed in then visibly "welded" - which is why mine failed. Mine also had the looseness you describe but really not an issue in my case, just have to tighten it all at the screw side so it cant happen? makes setup rather fussy rather than dangerous I think

I think the best soln to all this is to use a solid axle wheel rather than QR then you can use the screw-ons you also get. I think thats what I intend to do; have been thinking of getting an extra strong wheel built any way
indyP

Post by indyP »

As a new and first time trailer owner I very much appreciate the time and effort gone into above posts re the QR problem. My Jago trailer, bought off Amazon, turned up today and first thoughts are that it's pretty impressive for the price I paid. Obviously it's no Yak, but at only 2kg heavier and a fraction of the price it was a no-brainer for first one. The jago does have same weak QR skewers, which I expected, so will look at changing them at some point, but that apart the trailer feels ok and should be up to the task of what I want it for; mainly shopping and a short tour of Wales this summer. There is the option of using the new nuts that attach to M5 axle bolt, but they weigh a fair bit so will keep to QR. The rear wheel isn't the best though; one or two loose spokes, chrome rim looks nasty, and bearings feel very very rough! It spins up ok but will look to change at some point. I'm probably going to leave it as it is for now and then change things as and when - probably rear wheel and QR first.