Wet weather touring tips?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaleFTW

Wet weather touring tips?

Post by DaleFTW »

What's everyones top tips for touring when it's tipping it down? :D

I'm fine on day rides when I can be riding in the rain for 10 hours, but this involves things I'd not take on a tour, namely overshoes and boots. Been caught out a couple of times now, so just wondering what other peoples coping strategy is?
foxyrider

Re: Wet weather touring tips?

Post by foxyrider »

I take some Goretec overshoes and a decent rain jacket - i hate wet feet and the jacket might not keep everything 100% dry but at least i'm warm! In extreme cases i have been known to catch a train to outrun the weather but its usually a case of grin and bear it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I'm lucky in that I don't have a fixed schedule - so if the weather is rubbish I have a tent day. It's always worth planning so that you have some flexibility to cope with bad weather or things going wrong.
horizon

Post by horizon »

DaleFTW wrote:I'm fine on day rides when I can be riding in the rain for 10 hours, but this involves things I'd not take on a tour, namely overshoes and boots. Been caught out a couple of times now, so just wondering what other peoples coping strategy is?

That's funny because for me it's the other way round. I'll take a chance on a day ride knowing I'll get back at some point and can dry out and warm up. You can also guess the weather. On a tour, the weather forecast is obviously less reliable further ahead and you may be out longer and unable to "cut home". I take what I need to be warm, dry and comfortable. Why not - motorists do. If you are really high miling it then, yes, weight will be a problem but for normal touring I don't think that decent weather gear is impossible to carry.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

DaleFTW wrote:What's everyones top tips for touring when it's tipping it down? :D

I'm fine on day rides when I can be riding in the rain for 10 hours, but this involves things I'd not take on a tour, namely overshoes and boots. Been caught out a couple of times now, so just wondering what other peoples coping strategy is?

Stopping at every pub? ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

For me, it depends on the temperature. If it's warm (or what passes for warm in UK summers), I don't mind getting a bit wet, so I wear Goretex jacket, Lild trekking trousers, ordinary cycling shoes (also Lidl) and socks. Everything dries out overnight in the Goretex bivvy bag.

I haven't toured in winter rain for many years, 'cos I discovered I don't enjoy it. If I ever did it, I suppose I'd get Goretex (or similar) trousers and overshoes.
Si

Post by Si »

The less stuff you get wet, the less stuff you have to dry (the bottom layer, your skin, is normally the most water proof one). If summer touring when it tends to be warmer (well for proper summers anyway, not like the cut price things that we get these days) I don't really try to stay that dry - just let one layer get wet, keep everything else dry in a waterproof bag in the pannier.

In the morning it's not always that nice to put wet shoes on, so pop some sandwich bags over your feet before putting the shoes on. Ride for a bit and the shoes will dry out.

Thin layers are better than thick because a thin garment will dry out quicker.
If at B&B/hotel then the normal thing of wrapping clothes in one of their towels to dry out. If on a campsite and you are really luck there might be a hot air hand drier, and even a drying room if you are very very lucky.

But mainly try not to get into the habit of thinking that just because you are wet you must be miserable....as long as you are warm enough and your saddle isn't chaffing, there is nothing wrong with getting wet.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Vorpal wrote:
DaleFTW wrote:What's everyones top tips for touring when it's tipping it down? :D

Stopping at every pub? ;)

:D See, I can get behind that thinking.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Si wrote:The less stuff you get wet, the less stuff you have to dry (the bottom layer, your skin, is normally the most water proof one). If summer touring when it tends to be warmer (well for proper summers anyway, not like the cut price things that we get these days) I don't really try to stay that dry - just let one layer get wet, keep everything else dry in a waterproof bag in the pannier.

In the morning it's not always that nice to put wet shoes on, so pop some sandwich bags over your feet before putting the shoes on. Ride for a bit and the shoes will dry out.

Thin layers are better than thick because a thin garment will dry out quicker.
If at B&B/hotel then the normal thing of wrapping clothes in one of their towels to dry out. If on a campsite and you are really luck there might be a hot air hand drier, and even a drying room if you are very very lucky.

But mainly try not to get into the habit of thinking that just because you are wet you must be miserable....as long as you are warm enough and your saddle isn't chaffing, there is nothing wrong with getting wet.

I don't mind the rain tbh. I'd rather have rain than wind anyway.
gordy

Post by gordy »

Some of my wettest days have been the most memorable. Being wet and cold is miserable, but being "just" wet is mostly OK. My tip, strangely, is to keep going. get into a rhythm, get warm inside a jacket and just pedal on and on. Revel in the fresh air and enjoy the bemused looks from the poor people stuck inside their steamed up boxes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If it's cold, wool will keep one warm, even when wet. I normally carry one more layer than I think I need. Even in summer, that extra layer is usually a wool jumper or jersey and some shower proof golf trousers.

I haven't done much touring in recent years (kids), but when I tour, I do it for fun. When it isn't fun anymore, I'd rather take the train and spend a couple of hours in a museum, or something. One day in Scotland (in July!), touring with my brother, we did go from pub to pub. It was cold and bucketing down, and we kept hoping it would let up. I think we covered about 30 miles in 8 hours. 8) I've taken shelter from storms a few times and hail a couple of times.

That said, I think that I'm more likely to to just tell myself to ride a few more miles, or to the next town, and then when I get there, it doesn't seem so bad, so I ride a few more...

Oh, I use lots of the zip style plastic bags to keep things dry. My phone, wallet, etc. go in individual ones, so I don't have to get everything wet to answer my phone.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Vorpal wrote:If it's cold, wool will keep one warm, even when wet. I normally carry one more layer than I think I need. Even in summer, that extra layer is usually a wool jumper or jersey and some shower proof golf trousers.

That's a good shout. I've got one of these - http://www.torm.cc/jerseys.html which I took with me on my last tour.

For me, I've found that wet and warm is the way to go. How does everyone keep fingers and toes warm?

I use Buffalo mitts, but they're a bit sketchy with drop bar controls so I was thinking of taking a pair of these on my next jolly to pop over some merino gloves - http://www.amazon.co.uk/WOG2-Weise-Over ... over+mitts

A lad from my cycle club says they're great, but not had a chance to try them myself.
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

If the weather is warm enough(and it doesn't have to be hot and your working a bit on the bike to promote circulation) I find Shimano sandals good in wet weather. Feet stay clean and fresh. They are also really good for camping in wet (reasonably bug free)grass.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Depends on the situation, have a day off. Flexibility and not booking all accommodation every day helps with this. If it dries out later can always go for a short ride or walk around the local town/area. When you have run out of flexible days though you just have to batten down the hatches and go, stops for hot drinks help...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

eileithyia wrote:Depends on the situation, have a day off. Flexibility and not booking all accommodation every day helps with this. If it dries out later can always go for a short ride or walk around the local town/area. When you have run out of flexible days though you just have to batten down the hatches and go, stops for hot drinks help...

Now I've found the opposite! Soon as I stop, body starts cooling down and I get shivery. Did the C2C route in a day earlier this year in quite horrendous conditions and caused quite a bit of alarm at Hartside cafe with my blue lips.