Dutch Cycle Paths

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Merry_Wanderer

Re: Dutch Cycle Paths

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Hi John

I'd be interested to hear about your trip when you're back. We loved the Netherlands, the people were friendly and appreciated my (poor!) attempts to speak Dutch. When we stopped to check the maps, on several different occasions we were asked by Dutch cyclists or pedesstrians if we were ok or needed help. Have fun and hope the weather has warmed up for your trip.

Regards
Andrew
nez

Post by nez »

Ah yes, the headwinds. I once cycled with a friend in northern Holland (as we might call it) and had to alternate leading with my companion as the wind was so exhausting.. And he commented the Dutch let their dogs poo on the cycle paths to prove to the rest of us Holland isn't perfect. But it is nearly
johnwoodgate

Post by johnwoodgate »

Thanks Andrew and also for giving me the details of the book 'Cycling in the Netherlands'. I now have a copy and am reading it with interest. Yes I'll create a post on this forum when I return from the Neds and write about my experiences. I'm already in contact with friends in Oosterbeek, near Arnhem and am gathering intell about the Hoge Veluwe National Park. I'm now slimming down and getting my fitness level up in readiness for August. I live just 3 hours cycle ride from Harwich so it's quite a simple idea for me to 'cross over' to De Hoek. It'll be good to see the old place again and polish up my bad Dutch, that is if I can find Dutch people willing to speak their own langauge. Mostly what happens is that when they know you are English they just want to speak English all the time. This is frustrating for me a Dutch language student. Best wishes for the coming cycling season.
johnwoodgate

Post by johnwoodgate »

Thank you nez dans le guidon. I loved that joke about dog poo; it made me laugh out loud.
Monsieur

Post by Monsieur »

I'm thinking of a cycling break in Holland this coming summer - route would probably be Rotterdam-Uttrecht-Arnhem and return.
I've ordered Eric Van Der Horst's book but also looking for advice from those who may have done this route - cycle route the whole way?
Solvitur ambulando
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Monsieur wrote:I'm thinking of a cycling break in Holland this coming summer - route would probably be Rotterdam-Uttrecht-Arnhem and return.
I've ordered Eric Van Der Horst's book but also looking for advice from those who may have done this route - cycle route the whole way?

Arnhem is fabulous, worth riding through the national park and visiting the art museum in the middle. We cycled from Amsterdam North on west side of the country, over the Iselmeer and then down the other side to Arnhem with a brief dip into Germany. So we didn't overlap on the rest of your trip.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Monsieur wrote:- cycle route the whole way?
As a general "rule" in The Netherlands, you will mainly be on cycle paths, but you may have to share parts of the route with light motor traffic, roads carrying heavier motor traffic will have a segregated path (fietspad) alongside.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The separate cycle lanes are nice and safe, but not necessarily very interesting. For that, you are better off with forest trails and minor roads. To plan a trip, there is the fietsrouteplanner:
http://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/ ... tAodCmYA_w
It has options for the kind of trip you want: fast, nature etc etc. You can download the results as a gps file.