Roscoff to Santander

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Morgham

Roscoff to Santander

Post by Morgham »

So I've finally gone and done it and booked! After 5 years of living in Plymouth and thinking it'd be a decent trip, I'm going to give it a go. The only issue is that due to various reason I only have about 10.5 days to ride it! Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

I intend to use the Eurovelo 1 route for France, 1240km apparently, and then try and use the "quiet" roads once into Spain. Probably 1500km in total, so 150km a day :shock: .
I'm travelling light, just light camping gear and a couple of sets of cycling stuff, 1 set of off the bike stuff.

Does anyone have any tips, encouragement,just think I'm plain stupid? I'm really looking forward to it and actually quite enjoying the idea of the time pressure, probably be enjoying it less when I'm 500km from Santander, 2 days left and it's raining!
John Morgan
Plymouth Corinthian CC Senior BAR 2011 - with possibly the slowest aggregate speed in the history of the club!
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Roscoff to Santander

Post by Mick F »

1,500Km?
Sounds like you may be over-estimating. That's 900odd miles, I reckon it may be nearer 700miles.
Not that I've done it!, but I have thought about it.

Cycle down to Plymouth, cross over to Roscoff and pedal down to Santander and take the ferry back to Plymouth, then pedal home (or get on the the Tamar Valley Line back home coz I'm knackered!)
Mick F. Cornwall
Morgham

Post by Morgham »

I got the distances from the velodyssee site http://www.velodyssey.com/litineraire/the-15-major-sections. That has 1245km in France, and at a quick look at google maps it looks like 250km in Spain. I plan on riding to the port and back, Drakes trail passes my front door so it'd be a shame not to use it!
John Morgan
Plymouth Corinthian CC Senior BAR 2011 - with possibly the slowest aggregate speed in the history of the club!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As I say, I've looked at this ride a few times, though not using any pre-planned routes.
If I use BikeHikeUk for instance, and click on the roads between Roscoff and Santander, it comes out near to 700miles.

I don't know the roads, or even the places, but if I can pick out 700miles with ease, I fail to see why it should be more like 900miles.

Dunno. I may be completely wrong. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Psycho paths tend to wander a bit going from A to B.
So Roscoff-Nantes by road is ~190 miles, but go by the EV1 and your looking at ~230 miles.
So adding an extra 200 miles due to meanders of the path on 700 mile trip is easy.

They are not called Psycho paths for nothing ............ :lol:
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I'd say you've bitten off a lot.

Note however, you can take your bike on most non-Intercity trains in Spain, if you're stuck.
I've been touring since I was 37 and I'll be 63 on Sunday and I've never done a tour averaging more than 70 mpd and nowadays I would draw the limit at 60mpd or less. It's just not fun to do too many miles a day.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I'm doing it in early June. The Eurovelo 1 route does use a lot of cyclepaths and it is likely we will divert off these and use minor roads at some points. For example, it follows the Nantes-Brest canal for quite a way and the path is unsurfaced so when we get bored we may well give it a miss. We are aiming for an average of about 80km or less per day. Being the wrong side of 60 I find about 90km a day is my limit with camping gear. We are also going to use the trains through Spain due to time constraints and lack of legs! A friend of mine, who is a much stronger rider than me, did the full route in 14 days a few years ago but if you find yourself short of time when you reach Hendaye you would have the option of jumping on a train.
dodger

Post by dodger »

I'm travelling from Roscoff to Biarritz in May and looked at the Velodyssey route. Parts of it are OK, like the route to Morlaix and then Carhaix along the old railway.
The Nantes-Brest canal is fine but, like the Morlaix route, aint designed for speed, more a pleasant amble.
I've decided to work out my own route on minor roads, dipping into Velodyssey when it coincides with my needs, but it isn't the most direct route and definitely adds many more kilometres.
The route from the Gironde along the coast to Biarritz is, I think, well served with cycle ways through light pine woods so I might take up that part of the route.
I'm not in a hurry like you, but if I was, I wouldn't expect to cover much of Velodyssey.
If you work out your own route I'd agree with Mick F that it's nearer to 700 miles than 900. Still a lot to cover in the time, particularly if you want to look up from the road now and then.
I'm sure you've checked, but remember the Santander ferry only usually runs on wednesdays.
Morgham

Post by Morgham »

The once a week ferry is the pressure point, I'm booked on it so I better get there!
I was doing this to push my self more than as a sightseeing trip, so I anticipate 6 hour days.
Glad to hear about the train, always good to have a contingency plan.
John Morgan
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

6 hour days? I did a quick up and down part of the Plym Trail last weekend, going from Plymouth to Peter Tavey just north of Tavistock. It was 75km door to door from where I now live. If you are planning to do 150km a day then you could test yourself out on this local trail, which is very like the bits of your planned route I have cycled before in France, such as the old railway going south from Morlaix. I left at about 10.00 had coffee in Yelverton and then lunch at the pub in Peter Tavey. The return was into a headwind most of the way and I got back home at 16:00, so my day took me 6 hours to do half your planned distance and I didn't have any luggage. I am of course not the fittest or strongest rider but I suspect your days are going to be a shade longer than 6 hours.
Morgham

Post by Morgham »

I use the trail quite a lot to commute into Plymouth, I use a flat bar steel commuter bike and carrying 7-8kg of stuff (uni books) and I average about 20kmh/h on the way back (up the very slight hill). realistically that'll mean 7-8 hours days, so perhaps you're right!

I've been having a think and I may keep the time scale but change the route. Ferry into Santander, train to the boarder (I've not heard many good things about the Spanish section!) and then ride back to Roscoff. This puts me safe in the knowledge that if I am late I can get another boat the next day, and the worst bit is an ear bashing from the other half, rather than a week extra in Northern Spain!

Incidentally BeeKepper, if you're coming down the trail again soon and fancy meeting for a coffee somewhere (my round) drop me a PM, I'd be interested in learning from your experiences.
John Morgan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BeeKeeper wrote: I left at about 10.00 had coffee in Yelverton and then lunch at the pub in Peter Tavey.
What route did you use from Yelverton to Peter Tavy?

I ride on roads generally, so I'd go along the A386 to Horrabridge, then over Whitchurch Down to cross the B3357 at the bottom of Pork Hill and join the Peter Tavy road just east of Harford Bridge.
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=525540
Other than that, I may go via Tavistock. Possibly just as quick and possibly easier.
Mick F. Cornwall
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

You should be able to see the route here: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=525610 Not the most direct way to get to Peter Tavey but interesting for all that.

I just started at Saltram House and followed the signs for the Plym Trail northwards, but I did get slightly off course after Yelverton and went along the pavement alongside the A386 for a short distance. There are two alternatives at Tavistock, one route avoiding the town centre has a bit more climbing and the town centre was no problem on the return leg but might be different in the hight of summer.

The route is almost completely along cycle paths, mostly old railways but there are sections on minor roads. Not the most exciting cycling perhaps but excellent for families - with one exception. There is an extraordinary stretch near Mabor Wood where the signposted way climbs up a steep hill and is a single track, loose rocky path. I had to push my bike up most of it. It would be impassable with a twin wheel trailer or trike I think. No idea why the "gap" is not joined up but no doubt there was some issue over right of way. However, I suspect there is a way of avoiding this as it looked as if there was an unofficial detour avoiding the hill climbing.

Morgham - we are going south to north for the very reason you say - much easier to arrange ferry-wise.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I see you went over Gem Bridge.
A few photographs here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=70690&p=609054&hilit=+Gem+Bridge+#p609054

Interesting ride and fun through Grenofen Tunnel, but rather pointless IMHO. The main road is far easier. Trouble with the cycle way, is that the hill is awful going up towards Yelverton and the surface is fine gravel over most of it. The main road is busy, but dead easy even though there's a long climb up to Grenofen towards Tavistock from Bedford Bridge just north of Horrabridge.

If you don't fancy the A386, you can go from Yelverton via Walkhampton and Horrabridge village then via Whitchurch to Tavistock. This is the old pack horse route before the coming of the turnpikes.

Sorry, this is well off topic! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Mick F wrote:Sorry, this is well off topic! :oops:

Strictly speaking it's not - the path is part of Eurovelo 1 stretching from North Devon down to the French border. So to be complete, anyone going from Spain to Roscoff up the west coast really needs to keep going for couple of days or so when they get to Plymouth!