Show your touring bikes !!!!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
shane

Re: Show your touring bikes !!!!

Post by shane »

The Grips are " SQlab 711 SY Short" installed the right way round, and I install them (and the ergon grips on other bikes) slightly steeper than most people for a comfy wrist angle 8)

It's quite amusing that with all the fancy bits on that bike that there's a discussion about the 20 quid grips :D
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Thanks, I've found some other images now. They are the only grips I've seen that have the clamp bolt on the leading edge.

I don't get on with ergonomic grips, only comfortable in one position for me, and don't allow many positions.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

So where are you planning to head on your new steed Shane?
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
PH

Post by PH »

shane wrote:It's quite amusing that with all the fancy bits on that bike that there's a discussion about the 20 quid grips :D

I think most of us are still reeling from the fact such a thing of beauty could in any way be rescued...
it's like the start of a fairy story, we want to know more, were there dragons involved...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

shane wrote:Time to see what this bike packing non-sense is all about :) 8)

Tis indeed a lovely looking bike, Shane. I am half waiting for someone to suggest you can't be bikepacking with a rack... :wink:

Every time I see a relatively 'bare' bike with Rohloff, I get the desire for one. It all looks so neat.

Have to ask though, is the frame a bit big? Seat slid right forward, and teeny stem. Swap you my P7. :roll:
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Here's Gloria just before our first tour on the South Coast/Isle of Wight last November using B&B, missing only water bottle and pump. That pannier bag has full jive dancing kit in it too, since I seem to be in the habit of combining the two, weighing just over 10kg in all.

20141108-boardman-team-gloria.jpg

Some things have changed since, and the next one will be fitting of an MTB crankset.

She is named for my MP Gloria de Piero, whom I would like to take more of an interest in cycling. If there is an professional media operation in place she should turn up here and talk to us.

Ferdinand
shane

Post by shane »

PH wrote:I think most of us are still reeling from the fact such a thing of beauty could in any way be rescued...
it's like the start of a fairy story, we want to know more, were there dragons involved...

Once upon a time there was a galant not so young but awfully handsome knight with a black steed called Mr Hyde. They'd had many awesome adventures together fighting off evil corrupt customs agents, touts and various horrible stomach bugs. Often rescuing beautiful maidens (and sometimes not so beautiful maidens) while travelling in far off lands.

ImageGuess where Shane is 2 by shanecycles.com, on Flickr

But this couldn't go on forever. The evil gold dragon started to complain that the gold was almost gone, so the awfully handsome knight once again had to exchange his spurs for spanners and go back to work. After a summer of spannering the brave knight was once again ready for adventure and the gold dragon allowed him to have a short escape, the only condition was that the brave knight couldn't go searching out adventure and maidens in Africa where he might have fun but had to suffer somewhere, a penance for only working 7 months in 2 years.

Happy to get the opportunity to hit the road again, the Knight and his trusty steed took up the challenge to become the first 2 wheeled team to attempt to cycle the Trans Labrador highway in winter.

ImageTrans lab (13) by shanecycles.com, on Flickr

Unsurprisingly they were thwarted by the evil Ice queen and had to take a couple of lifts despite their best intentions and heroism in the ice queen's garden.

Anyway, on their return the Gold dragon was very angry and insisted that the awfully handsome knight get his buttock back to work and make some gold again if he ever wanted to have a life other than renting a room while he worked each summer and living in a tent each winter. So, the rather smart Knight thought he'd be better off working freelance. During the free lance process the brave knight had an enormous fight with the evil insurance dragon that had no intentions of giving medical and disability insurance to someone brave enough to camp in the ice queens garden at -40. On his way back from the insurance dragons lair, bruised and bleeding from the 2 month fight the brave knight started having doubts about his choice to live such a brave and heroic life (and the choice to share his life on the internet giving the insurance dragon free ammunition), and renting a 3x2.6m room no longer seemed right for someone so heroic and handsome, maybe there was a maiden out there that wanted more?

So the choice was made to search down the Mortgage dragon and make a deal, the deal was possible but then the handsome knight would have to work more than 7 months a year and sell his soul to the dragon and take part in a very prestigious race. The awfully handsome knight couldn't understand what was so prestigious about a race involving rats?

So, no more trips of 3-12 months, time to start thinking of interesting adventurers that are shorter, more interesting and preferably closer to home.Things like the Trans Andalusia, Highland 550, and revisiting the more rugged paths of previous adventures. Though Mr Hyde was a thoroughbred and not ready to retire, he was a cross between a warhorse and workhorse and just wasn't quite nimble enough for the interesting adventures the awfully handsome knight was dreaming up for his winter escapes from the race with the rats. So, Mr Hyde received an early dismissal package of lighter wheels, shiny mudguards and only one gear to keep his life simple in his golden years.

ImageMr Hyde in singlespeed mode by shanecycles.com, on Flickr

It was time to look for a new young and agile though well build steed for the next round of adventure, it seemed so simple, a second hand 26" MTB should be cheap and easy to find during the current gold rush for 27,5 and 29". Sadly the brave knight had high standards and wishes after 25,000km of adventure on Mr Hyde, and just couldn't fall in love with aluminium frames. But, he had a cunning plan, with cap in hand he went to the great craftsman who had once build Mr Hyde for him and asked if maybe one of the 200 brave steeds hanging around his farm waiting to die of old age just maybe the one for the job, and just maybe the great craftsman could find it in his heart to sell one of his great creations.

ImageUntitled by shanecycles.com, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by shanecycles.com, on Flickr

" Built for a bike show in 2010, and ridden for one weekend, in the attic gathering dust, yours for......" It was slightly too big, top tube 20mm longer than Mr Hyde but the oversized red Reynolds 853 tubes were so pretty, wonderful details and the slightly too large frame meant lots of real estate for frame bags.

" I can make that fit, sold to the man with the big ears" .

Lots of new bits, some bits robbed off Mr Hyde, other bits that where lying around in my shed, a little room for improvement later but Frankenstein is ready for action.

And the rest as they say is history, waiting to be written :lol: .
PH

Post by PH »

shane, that's brilliant, can't wait for the book :D
Happy adventures
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

shane, that's brilliant, can't wait for the book :D
Happy adventures

+1
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

You made me cry into my trifle :(
Will the movie be in 3D with IMAX and will Johnny Depp be playing you or the bike?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
shane

Post by shane »

Sadly young Depp wasn't available at the time so it became a very cheap indie :) >>Click
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Fantastic! Who needs Johnny Depp?! :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

My Dawes 1-Down

My Dawes 1-Down click to enlarge
My Dawes 1-Down click to enlarge

May look an ugly duckling but a) the gears 46/36/26 8 speed chainset and 26" wheel size give me performance that suits my limits b) the frame is neither too big or small to carry under my arm and with the small wheels am able to carry over country stiles or through those gated curved ones. The only blot is that the rims brakes dont like muddy tracks as it tends to get onto the side walls and rims c) luggage is kept very low and feels very stable loaded. I bought this bike with 20% off in 1999 (I think) from the YHA Adventure Shop in Covent Garden London ( now gone ) Then it was £649 full price, more than the Galaxy at £599 and was one of the first Dawes bikes I think to have Reynolds 631 main tubes? This was the largest 57cm frame
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Here's Sally I tour with this ultra light setup for up to 3 weeks at a time.

Bike packed in Marrakech tiny.jpg
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Farawayvisions wrote:Here's Sally I tour with this ultra light setup for up to 3 weeks at a time.

Bike packed in Marrakech tiny.jpg

Interesting set-up! (And lovely background!) Going slightly off-topic - were you touring alone in Marrakech?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin