Show your touring bikes !!!!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
slogfester

Re: Show your touring bikes !!!!

Post by slogfester »

Meet Peru (Van Nicholas Pioneer)

Hasn't been to Peru... yet, but did 4000 km round Europe last year and will soon be off to New Zealand :)
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

slogfester wrote:Meet Peru (Van Nicholas Pioneer) .... Hasn't been to Peru... yet, but did 4000 km round Europe last year and will soon be off to New Zealand :)

Nice bike. Where in the Long White Cloud are you planning to ride?

Andrew
Jamesjohnson

Post by Jamesjohnson »

This is Dora. My faithful RTW companion.

DSCF3089.jpg

Can anyone name the location? Clue: GoT
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

slogfester wrote:Meet Peru (Van Nicholas Pioneer)

Hasn't been to Peru... yet, but did 4000 km round Europe last year and will soon be off to New Zealand :)

That is a very smart bike indeed!

Enjoy New Zealand - and come back safe to enjoy Peru!
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

This is my bike when I did my recent first ever tour from my front door to the Isle of Arran and around it n bak home.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411224849.783924.jpg
using hovercraft full of eels.
robing

Post by robing »

My bike just setting off on my first mini tour earlier this year.
Attachments
2014-04-16_14-41-54_477-1_resized.jpg
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

Aushiker wrote:
slogfester wrote:Meet Peru (Van Nicholas Pioneer) .... Hasn't been to Peru... yet, but did 4000 km round Europe last year and will soon be off to New Zealand :)

Nice bike. Where in the Long White Cloud are you planning to ride?

Andrew

Not sure yet. A bit late, but just starting to plan for 6 week trip mid-Dec to end of Jan. Gut feeling says just stick to the South Island at that time of year. We like to get off the beaten track and off-road as long as its not too tough.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

slogfester wrote:Not sure yet. A bit late, but just starting to plan for 6 week trip mid-Dec to end of Jan. Gut feeling says just stick to the South Island at that time of year. We like to get off the beaten track and off-road as long as its not too tough.

You might want to touch base with RonK at the Australian Cycling Forums. His blog can be found at http://wheelswhisper.blogspot.com.au/ I believe he has or has in mind a similar style of tour of the South Island.

Andrew
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

My trusty 1990 Dawes Super Galaxy - cycle camping in northern Portugal September 2014
Attachments
temp.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

here below my ktm during an unforgettable cycling along the coast of North Brazil

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Crossing the Danube 31st August 2014. The orange front bags are my home made lightweight set. This was about mid distance of the 1100km tour and my 'wet' day
Attachments
DSCN4430small1.jpg
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Looking north over Mid Wales
My 20 year old Saracen Terratrax MTB. Only original component left is the seat post and bottle bolts.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Here is my Decathlon Original 5 Night and Day + cheap Bob Yak ripoff trailer.
Attachments
IMG_0404 (1).jpg
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

theDaveB wrote:Here is my Decathlon Original 5 Night and Day + cheap Bob Yak ripoff trailer.

I want to know more about this.
I'm off to Portugal on Sunday. I hate travelling with the bike. It can cost me £100 to take my own bike. There is a Decathlon near the airport. I thought that Original three looks as if would tour. It's about £150. mmmm... Searched the net to see if anybody had toured with one. I tour light. saddlebag or stuffsac if poss.
So come on spill the beans. I know it's the 5 but I think there is not that much difference.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

bigjim wrote:
theDaveB wrote:Here is my Decathlon Original 5 Night and Day + cheap Bob Yak ripoff trailer.

I want to know more about this.
I'm off to Portugal on Sunday. I hate travelling with the bike. It can cost me £100 to take my own bike. There is a Decathlon near the airport. I thought that Original three looks as if would tour. It's about £150. mmmm... Searched the net to see if anybody had toured with one. I tour light. saddlebag or stuffsac if poss.
So come on spill the beans. I know it's the 5 but I think there is not that much difference.

The 3 has thinner tubing on the frame and mentions a weight limit on the spec. I went to the shop to look at it and decided a 5 would be better for me as I weigh 17.5 stone.

I paid £209 at the time (12 months ago) and last time I was in noticed that do loads of others now around that price.

I can't complain about mine at all, only been on 2 tours to North Wales but go out on it nearly every day and not had a single problem. Only things I have changed our seat, tyres and pedals. They come with a £30 gel seat, I use their own £10 seat, much better. Changed the tyres due to too many punctures and the pedals becuase I wear sandals and could feel the pedal under my feet after a while, so swapped for some flat ones, also from Decathlon for £5.

Edit: Just had a look on the site, the 520 looks the same as mine and the 500 is the same minus rack and Dynamo.

Dave