When I flew with my bike this is what happened......

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
eileithyia

Re: When I flew with my bike this is what happened......

Post by eileithyia »

who do you hire from...? phil and andrew had brand new bikes this year..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've used the WHEELS shops in Alcudia. They have about 3 outlets. Also the big German outfit in Alcudia and also a guy, x tdf rider, in Magaluf.
I think I go at the wrong time for a new bike. April, May etc.
I used to keep my own bike over there when I went regularly during the winter.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

they're swiss.. but it's a lot of germans that use him, know very little about wheels and their bikes but they do have the biggest outlet of womens exteondo clothing to be seen :D
some friends use calla millor cos they are cheap..... and what mis-match of old bikes/old style headsets.... :?
as posted elsewhere have always used hannes at velosport, always get well looked after, bit more expensive but runs a breakdown rescue service....so not in his interest to hire out poorly maintained/cared for bikes, even if the cost covers the service it is still time out of his day to run the service when he has bikes to deliver around the island as well..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

Where does one buy the CTC Plastic Bike Bags? Do Wiggle, the CTC shop sell them?

If you pack your bike in cardboard for the outbound journey and have to build the bike up and ride it out from the destination airport what do you use to pack the bike in on the return journey?
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

You either
go to a local bike shop and scrounge another cardboard box
or
obtain some plastic (from a DIY store, or perhaps a large roll of clingfilm) and wrap the bike in that.

Some people think a box protects the bike, others think a seethrough plastic bag allows handlers to see it is a bike and give more TLC. The jury is out on which is better.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

On Thursday September 5 I flew with EasyJet from Vienna to Gatwick. We put the bikes in see-through plastic dustsheets bought from a DIY store, and used parcel tape to hold it all together. The bike was checked in no problems, and arrived in good condition. The only, inexplicable, thing was that we both had punctures in the front. The security chaps at Vienna told us to let air out of the tyres, in charge the tyres exploded in the hold (daft idea but we didn't argue), and on arrival both fronts were punctures, I can't see how though, because they were wrapped in plastic and simply put in the hold.
But cheap dustsheets and parcel tape did the job for us. We just bunged it all in a waste bin at Gatwick.
I took the derailleur off and taped it to the frame, my friend didn't bother.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I was at Stansted a couple of years ago and the Easyjet handlers wouldn't accept an unboxed bike from some folk.

Maybe they have changed/clarified their rules since.
Sweep
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

for some reason the baggage handler stood the box up on its end ?

There was a gate at Schuypol(?) Amsterdam and that was the only way we could get it through.The baggage handler may have had a similar problem. IIRC something prevented us from sliding it through lengthwise If you are wheeling a boxed bike on one of those supermarket style trollies, on end is the easiest way to do it, otherwise you are banging into everything and everybody.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

From Bordeaux to gatwick, Sunday may 18. Wrapped it an extremely thin plastic dustsheet bought on ebay for a few quid, it was too thin really and not up to the job. Used "Fragile" tape to hold it all together. Bike was fine at gatwick. I took the derailleur off, the other three didn't bother, bikes were fine. One had a bash on the front brake that forced the brake block under the rim but e just lifted it into position. All good. Would use a thicker plastic next time. Two of us had the CTC bags: they are very good.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

MartinBrice wrote:From Bordeaux to gatwick, Sunday may 18. Wrapped it an extremely thin plastic dustsheet bought on ebay for a few quid, it was too thin really and not up to the job. Used "Fragile" tape to hold it all together. Bike was fine at gatwick. I took the derailleur off, the other three didn't bother, bikes were fine. One had a bash on the front brake that forced the brake block under the rim but e just lifted it into position. All good. Would use a thicker plastic next time. Two of us had the CTC bags: they are very good.

If your thin plasic bag is the £6 one with pictures of bikes all over it [below], it is the one I use. You are right it's not really up to the job but it is very light and Check-in do not argue that it is not a bike bag as it's plainly printed on the front. I also use mine as a grounsheet. I take a cardboard box out and use the this crap bag on the way back. It usually lasts me a couple of trips. I find the CTC bag pretty heavy to cart around with you.
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

It is almost entirely random having flown many groups abroad with CTC Holidays for the past 10 years using different airlines and departure points.
Regardless of packing there is damage to about 1 in every 20 bikes and in this I mean anything from a scratch to a frame bend.
In all cases though the bikes were rideable at the other end.
The worst was mine last year, flying United out of terminal 4 at Heathrow to Newark. The bike was in a soft bag with the wheels off and a spacer placed between the forks. I have no idea how, but at Newark the spacer had been knocked out and the forks twisted, however bizarrely the bike rode straight. Other damage included a dinged downtube when the bike was well padded.

Aside from the very heavy cases the damage seems to be inversely proportional to the padding used and I'm pretty sure that if handlers can see it's a bike then they will take more care. However the downer before everyone uses a polythene bag is that airlines are increasingly refusing to accept these, which if you are flying to a far of destination can put a dampner on things somewhat. In the case last year a polythene bag was refused and we had to buy a cardboard box at Heathrow.

Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Neil Wheadon wrote: In the case last year a polythene bag was refused and we had to buy a cardboard box at Heathrow.

Neil

Which airline refused the polythene bag Neil?
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

United
and had a case with BA as well, but accepted when pressed. I have heard of other airlines but that's hearsay.
Trying to tie an airline down in advance is very hard as to what they will accept. All will have recommendations but this rarely says polythene bag. In my position taking groups I can't afford to take a chance so don't recommend bags to anyone.
In getting bikes on planes your fate lies with the check in staff who may or may not work for the airline and as the whole situation is a touch time limited, having issues at the airport isn't welcome.
Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Worth getting a CTC plastic bag & printing this out for check-in. http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... ikebag.pdf
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Neil Wheadon wrote:United and had a case with BA as well, but accepted when pressed. I have heard of other airlines but that's hearsay.
Neil

I flew with BA in December to Morocco, no issues with my CTC bag or the bike. Flying to Amsterdam next month with Easyjet, I'm sure it'll be fine. I like the idea that the bike in a clear bag appeals to the bag handler to be gentle.