Rack n pannier alternatives.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
3spd

Rack n pannier alternatives.

Post by 3spd »

By the time I've fitted my front n rear racks plus 4 panniers I've added 5kg (about 11lb) to my bike.
So as I can just squeeze everything, except my tent, into 2 rear Super C's what other setups can you suggest?
Front rack and front panniers are about 2kg so a reasonable saving.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
al_yrpal

Re: Rack n pannier alternatives.

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont like Front Panniers. My set-up 2 big panniers on a rear rack. Tent on top with a light waterproof stuff sack containing sleeping bag and air bed. Small bar bag.

Rear rack 750g
Rear Panniers 2000g
Bar bag 523g
Stuff Sack 250g

Total 3523g

You are up against it! I saved several kilos weighing my clothes and selecting particularly light ones and getting non spd cycling shoes that were OK for walking/evenings.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Pair of small front panniers with about 2kg in each side. One side has cooking kit and odd bits, other has sleeping bag and mat.
Large saddlebag with tent across the carrier behind the bag. If you do not carry a cape then the tent could go on top of the bag.
Barbag for maps, paperwork, camera - stuff to instantly lift off the bike when going into a bar.

Don't know how much weight would be saved since both carriers are still there, but using small bags would save some weight and focus attention on what does not need to be taken at all. My total cycle camping load, including waterproofs, tools etc is about 13kg.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If I get it rebuilt by the summer I am planning on using the trike! 1 whopping big bag on that!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've gone the other way. On my first couple of tours I had just rear panniers and then waterproof stuff sacks with sleep bag etc and tent on top of the rack. Th problem was the lack of spare space. Adding food during the day, or trying to get anything out of the panniers (like waterproofs or extra clothes) was a real pain. For my last trip I added front panniers and had nothing on top of the rack and found it much better. I had space in the rear bags to add food, things were not as tightly packed so much easier to pack and to get access to. Oh and the bike felt better balanced as well. Yes it was a little heavier but to be honest I don't think I noticed that (and this was a pretty hilly route over the pennines - twice).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

To avoid overloading the rear when camping its front and rear bags - the barbag goes every time so thats not worth including here.

Camping
Tubus steel Ergo front rack with Ortlieb front rollers (never full but containing @2kg each clothing) @ 2.2kg
Tubus Ti Carry rear rack with Ortlieb back rollers (sleeping bag, tent canvas etc in one - everything else in't other @4kg each) @1.9kg

sleep mat under bar bag, poles on rack.

B&B
Tubus Ti Carry rear rack with Ortlieb front rollers @1.7kg

Spares, tools etc in superlight Ortlieb seat pack @ 0.7kg
Ortlieb Barbag for camera, phone etc @ 0.5kg

I could ram all my camp trip stuff into 2 rear bags but the bike would handle appallingly, the rear wheel/tyre would get more abuse than i like and finding anything would be a nightmare! Keep the weight down low and spread it around. All i'm waiting for is for Tubus to make a Ti front rack to match the silly 250g rear! (the original stainless fittings actually weighed more than the rack, i swapped them out straight away for a much lighter Ti and Al set up!) :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
3spd

Post by 3spd »

I can get my sleeping bag, mat, stove, gas, pans and tools in one pannier. Which leaves clothes half filling the other but my tent, a Coleman Bedrock, which is quite large, has to be strapped on the rack but ......
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Front racks and panniers do indeed weigh a lot even empty. So leaving them home is now my strategy for nearly all trips. Rear panniers and the tent strapped on top were fine, even on a cold tour in Norway. Shedding weight does indeed make your rides more pleasant. My bike handles just fine without front panniers. So what is needed is really compact gear.
Willem
Last edited by willem jongman on 7 Jan 2013, 9:37am, edited 1 time in total.
vernon

Post by vernon »

It all comes down to personal choice. There is no right or wrong solution.

I've toured with two panniers and with four panniers. The main advantage of four panniers is that you can bring more souvenirs back with you. :D
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

This is an interesting thread!

3spd, it sounds like your rack and rear panniers come to 3kg. I have a similar set-up but at 1958g - I use two big Karrimor panniers (circa 1990, same general shape and rain resistance as SuperC but 1408g total vs 2300g) and a £20 Bor Yeuh copy of a Blackburn rear rack (alu, w/ parcel shelf) at 550g incl fittings.

I agree with the point that having 4 panniers is great for organising stuff and ease of finding things. With only two panniers, reducing the number of items is a good move, not just for weight but just to reduce the inevitable spork search stress! I don't take cooking gear or a non-bike outfit (I pedal in non-spd shoes), and the panniers are underfilled a wee bit. My total load, incl clothes, shoes, everything but the bike and rack and my bodyweight, is just under 9kg, so the weight being at the back isn't too bad.

I put the tent inner, sleeping bag, air mat, flip flops in one pannier, and the other pannier contains a poly bag for each of the other departments (clothes, maps, food, bathroom stuff and toolkit). The wee end bags are for all the bric-a-brac and the tent poles and flysheet go atop the rack on the parcel shelf. Camera and sunglasses and wallet go in clothing pockets so they never have to be searched for.
soton

Post by soton »

There was chat about this last May, and it depends on the type of bike to some extent:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63779&start=15
where my camping/no cooking set-up weighs in at 700gm for all luggage carrying 'things'.
Look forward to hearing what tricks you come up with.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

3spd wrote:By the time I've fitted my front n rear racks plus 4 panniers I've added 5kg (about 11lb) to my bike.
So as I can just squeeze everything, except my tent, into 2 rear Super C's what other setups can you suggest?
Front rack and front panniers are about 2kg so a reasonable saving.

You can reduce that a little by buying the top-of-the range Ortlieb lightweight panniers. These are not a flimsy option, I've found them more durable than the classic heavyweight ones. Set of 4 panniers suitable for an intercontinental tour come in at 3kg. Tubus racks around 500g each, so 4kg total. Ish.

It's a question of what you want and what you need. I often have a large light-weight nylon kitbag which I put on my back rack. With so many airlines charging by the item these days, I can make all 4 panniers and luggage disappear into it. The kitbag itself may then be folded up inside a pannier, or bulging with food for a week and 15 litres of water in waterbags for cycling across a desert. Or it may have a wet tent and dirty washing in it. Clearly I could often manage with the kitbag and no front panniers.

Yes, front rack and panniers are additional weight, it is a question of the handling of the bicycle. I find it essential to distribute the weight like on hilly roads. I also find the front panniers help keep my feet warm when it's cold and raining.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Anyone tried nets and dry bags like on the extra wheel trailer?
daddig

Post by daddig »

I have tried to carry my kit in a compression sack strapped to my saddle, tent on front carrier. This worked well though meant I had to minimise my kit!
Mike G
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Noone has mentioned Salsa Anything cages yet, which I think could be another interesting option- http://salsacycles.com/components/anything_cage/

The Salsa Fargo and Surly Troll forks have mounts on the front forks specifically for these, and they are like big bottle cages with straps, that can be used to attach roll mats, tents, sleeping bags, all sorts of stuff. I am keen to try them, so have ordered some Troll forks for an MTB build I am up to, to give me the potential to try them out.