Cycling out of Marco Polo Airport Venice (Mestre)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
keithg

Cycling out of Marco Polo Airport Venice (Mestre)

Post by keithg »

Hoping to start a tour of the Dolomites and Alps from Venice in the summer. Fly in and ride home to Scotland over as many mountain roads as possible.
I have started a climbing holiday from here when we bussed to Cortina and the roads seemed to be very busy or dual carriage ways and it looks like it might be an unattractive start to the trip on busy industrial roads for some of the way.
Does anyone know if there's an easy to follow cycle-friendly route out of the immediate environs of the airport and/or can they recommend a nice way North towards the Dolomites? I'd particularily like to ride into some of the refugios in the Dolomites and fit in a little walking.
I did wonder about just getting a bus into the mountains to avoid the busy hot and flat plains but it would spoil the "going home under my own steam" theme to the trip although crossing the Channel on a bike was always going to be problematic!
Thanks
ConRAD

Re: Cycling out of Marco Polo Airport Venice (Mestre)

Post by ConRAD »

hi,
maybe you can start trying to have a look HERE
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I haven't cycle out of the airport but I have cycled past the main entrance. It is a busy road with a lack of good signage. Be careful not to get sucked onto the road into Venice as it takes you down the busy causeway. My advice is take a left towards Venice then get off the road to the right and find a route into Mestre around the minor roads. There are no way signs but you can pick a route to avoid the main roads.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
tom_d

Post by tom_d »

From what i remember the airport is far enough out of Mestre to not be a problem, the main road past the airport is busy but not too bad. Avoid Mestre at all costs - It's a horrible place and full of dangerous roads!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Well yes you could go to the Dolomites via Bolzano but that's a pretty long way round - especially if you are heading for Cortina. And for my money some of the most beautiful parts of the Dolomites are in the Veneto.

The Veneto tourism website has a possible route here although for some reason it has a gap between Belluno and Calalzo di Cadore. From Belluno I'd recommend taking the old Via Alemagna which runs alongside the new SS51). The last section of the veneto.to route follows the old railway to Cortina (ow called the Lunga via Delle Dolomiti) - even if you are not a fan of cycle paths, this is lovely.

Alternatively there's the Via Claudia Augusta to Feltre and then via Sospirolo and the Canale del Mis to Agordo and Alleghe. Or you could go to Belluno and then take the back roads to Longarone and then from there go on to Forno di Zoldo and Zoldo Alto along the SS251. [EDIT: correction turn right before you get to Forno di Zoldo].

One thing to bear in mind is that there are a lot of tunnels in that part of Italy. These are usually avoidable if you take the old (closed) road beside them. But definitely take lights. There's also a requirement to wear high-viz in tunnels - although widely ignored.

Oh by the way, this summer I saw that Cortina Express bus service were offering 'BiciBus' services around the Dolomites - but I don't know if these started at the airport - it might be worth dropping them a line if you're interested (the website only has information about winter services at the moment).
Last edited by andymiller on 7 Jan 2013, 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

andymiller wrote:...well yes you could go to the Dolomites via Bolzano but that's a pretty long way round...

..you're right but that's, so far, a well tested path along pretty beautiful sceneries and interesting towns (like Treviso, my town!! .. then Castelfranco, Rovereto, Trento, Bolzano). The way I did is basically the Via Claudia Augusta.
The link that you quoted till Treviso is also part of one of own trip. After Treviso I've been over there many years ago and cant't say how it could be today as far as a bike trip is concerned.
It's worthwhile however to test it, maybe using the available gpx tracks available at your link.
I might test it next summer ... also if I don't trust to much certain Italian touristic bureau "practices" :? !!!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

ConRAD wrote:
andymiller wrote:I might test it next summer ... also if I don't trust to much certain Italian touristic bureau "practices" :? !!!

I've followed a number of the routes produced by the Veneto region and they were very good. Actually the information produced by Italian tourist bodies can be extremely good - the major problem is that information is so scattered and difficult to find.

You (and the OP) might find this link useful as well:

http://www.visittreviso.it/it/itinerari ... Os5445Adq5
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

andymiller wrote:... you (and the OP) might find this link useful as well:

... excellent link, thanks a lot, btw here a few shots taken during one of my cycling night raids!

curiosity: what "OP" stand for?
keithg

Post by keithg »

ConRAD wrote:
andymiller wrote:... you (and the OP) might find this link useful as well:

... excellent link, thanks a lot, btw here a few shots taken during one of my cycling night raids!

curiosity: what "OP" stand for?

Seconded, that's a very good link, thanks from the OP

OP stands for original post or poss. original poster
tends to be a polite reminder to "get back on topic" as these posts head off into all sorts of interesting but sometimes not entirely relevant directions!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi

Does anyone have any further tips on this topic? I am landing in Marco Polo airport, and rather than heading North, would like to get to a good point to start cycling round the coastline towards Slovenia. I would ideally like to start at Punta Sabbioni to cycle to Jesolo along the sea front to Jesolo and on from there and so wondered if anyone know if it is ok to put bikes on the waterbus from the airport going down to Punta Sabbioni.

Failing that, I am looking for a nice cycle out from the airport to get started on the Adriatic route without too much time on the SS14 (unless this isn't too bad? as looks like wouldnt have to be on it for long).

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I did this last year. After exiting the airport I cycled 10km along the SS14 and exited at Portegrandi to take the smaller road to Jesolo. It was ok. It may be just me but I've found some italian SS roads very civilised, and even pleasant, compared to the UK. It would have probably been nicer to take the water bus to Punta Sabbioni and start from there, but I've no idea whether they take bikes. The roads from Jesolo onwards are pretty quiet country lanes. I had to take the SS14 again between Latisana and Cervignano del Friuli - I don't think there is another way. The best bit of that coastal road is the last 20km or so into Trieste, which again is the SS14, popular with cyclists. Though the SP1 road that goes parallel to it higher up is also nice and possibly quieter - it passes the village of Prosecco (I took this road on the way back).