Uploading GPX and Image Files using a Mobile 'Phone

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BeeKeeper

Uploading GPX and Image Files using a Mobile 'Phone

Post by BeeKeeper »

I have written 3 journals so far on the CrazyGuyOnABike website and being able to update the journal at the end of each day is a pleasant thing to do while enjoying a well-earned beer. It also means of course the memories of the day are still fresh in your mind. To send the update I use an Android 'phone which while it works, has limitations. A Netbook PC would be one solution to these problems but they are heavy, use more battery power and are becoming scarce as tablet PCs seem to be taking over.

However, I have found two problems updating journals using a mobile 'phone:

The first is although my SatMap GPS will have recorded the ride I had found no way of getting the GPX file out of the GPS unless I plugged it into a PC and used the SatSync application to download the file from the device. With this model of GPS you can't just plug it into a PC as the computer will not recognise it and only using the correct program works.

The second problem is I could only upload images taken by the camera on my 'phone as again you can't just couple my digital camera to the 'phone - I tried it using a female to female USB converter but as with the GPS the devices do not see each other.

So, as a result, my blogs to date have had to wait until I returned home before I could add the daily routes and upload the better images taken by my digital camera.

Then, reading a CGOAB article by Steve Miller on updating blogs with an Android tablet I had a eureka moment on how to solve both of the above two problems.

Welcome to the wonderful world of micro SD cards and their adaptors!

If you are a little underwhelmed by this story so far, let me explain a bit more...
Both my GPS and camera take full size SD cards, which are like the thing in the picture above with the red label but my mobile phone takes a micro SD card, which is the little card on the left. The two in the picture work together because the micro SD card fits into a slot in the bottom of the adaptor and when fitted together the adaptor acts exactly as if it was a full sized SD card. The downsize is such adaptors are a bit more expensive than standard cards (the above were about £14.00 from Tesco) but compared to the cost of the gizmos you fit them into the difference is not that great.

I will cover the camera problem first as it is the easiest to explain. If I take the current full sized SD card out of my camera and substitute with the adaptor and micro SD card I can take pictures as normal and the files will be stored on the micro SD card. To upload these files I need to get these files into my mobile 'phone.
Step one, switch off 'phone and in the case of mine, remove the battery:

The micro SD card sits in a slot, shown by the red arrow. I removed the card that was already there and replaced it with the micro SD card from the adaptor, which contains the image files. Switching the 'phone back on allows me to see the image files and attach them to an e-mail or upload them using the internet if WiFi is available.

The GPS is a little more involved but the same ideas apply.

My SatMap will allow me to record the GPX file either to its own internal memory or to the SD card which carries the map. I normally let it record to the map card to leave the internal memory free. Wherever you record the file it is possible to copy and move it using the menu options on the SatMap and this is the key to the trick of getting the GPX file out of the GPS. If you have recorded the file onto the map SD card you now need to copy it to the internal memory.
Using the buttons on the GPS you need to select "Routes Menu" then with the joystick select SD Card and navigate to the GPX file you want, this will have a name looking something like this: "2011-10-09_09:29" i.e. a date and a time.

When you have found it select "Edit" and from the new menu which appears select "Copy". Although it doesn't really explain it, what you have actually done is copied the file to the internal memory.

Now switch off GPS and remove the map card and replace it with the micro SD card in its adaptor, as shown below:

Switch on the GPS again and you now need to go back through the menus to find the GPX file you copied to the internal memory. If you select "Edit" again you will now see an option to copy the file to the SD card - which you should now do. Switch everything off again and insert the micro SD card back in the 'phone and the hitherto illusive GPX file is now available to be uploaded.

I use ES File Manage on my Android 'phone to see the files on the card but if you use GMail you can also attach the files directly to an e-mail update.
However, there is one final thing which needs to happen before the above will work best. Currently, CGOAB allows e-mail updates to journals which can have image files appended to the e-mail and these will appear on the page in the order they are attached to the e-mail. GPX files cannot be included in e-mail updates but Neil Gunton, who runs the site, has recently told me this facility is "near the top of my To Do List" so it should become available in due course. Until then, GPX files will need to be uploaded via an internet connection, which ideally means having access to WiFi although it can done using the 'phone service but is expensive in data.

For simplicity, my plan on my next trip will be to have the mico SD card in its adaptor in the camera during the day to record pictures and then I will put it in the GPS at the end of the day to have the GPX file added to the card so I only need to insert the micro SD card once into the 'phone.

The only snag I can see is GPX files can be quite large, over 1 Mb for a day's riding, but providing I have a reasonable connection it should be possible to upload it. Image files can also be large but there are Apps you can get which reduce the files to a smaller size, which is fine as you don't need big image files for displaying on web pages.

With grateful acknowledgements to Steve Miller, whose idea of inserting a camera SD card into an Android tablet gave me the clue as how to do it for the GPS, which had been the main problem I had come across preventing proper updates of daily blogs. Steve's article can be found here. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =11607&v=L
Aushiker

Re: Uploading GPX and Image Files using a Mobile 'Phone

Post by Aushiker »

Nice work around. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Couple of related points:

If you swap the MicroSD card in phone and replace it with the one from the camera then clearly while you have the camera card in you won't see data from your original card. That in itself isn't necessarily an issue for just uploading pictures, but if you have applications on SD storage then they won't work.

A number of more recent devices and Android versions support USB OTG, which allows you to plug USB devices directly into the phone/tablet. Which means you could attach either an SD card reader, or your camera or GPS unit.

Another approach might be an Eye-Fi card, which is an SD card with wifi built in. £30 for a 4GB one from Amazon. http://www.eye.fi/products/android

A MicroSD-to-SD adapter is under a quid on its own and can be had pretty much for free with MicroSD cards.

Not sure why GPX upload requiring internet access makes it an issue over and above email, for which you need internet access :)
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

stewartpratt wrote:
A number of more recent devices and Android versions support USB OTG, which allows you to plug USB devices directly into the phone/tablet. Which means you could attach either an SD card reader, or your camera or GPS unit.

Certainly worth considering. What I did find with my 'phone is you can't do this:
Neither the GPS or Camera can be seen by the 'phone and it doesn't work with an SD card reader either. If this sort of arrangement can be made to work it would solve the camera problem but probably not the GPS as this doesn't work with a PC either - it needs to have SatSync software loaded onto the PC otherwise it won't recognise the GPS as a storage device. The SatSync software is PC only although there is a Mac version but it doesn't currently run on the latest Apple OS - MountainMoggy or whatever it is called. There doesn't seem any sign of an Android version.
stewartpratt wrote:
Another approach might be an Eye-Fi card, which is an SD card with wifi built in. £30 for a 4GB one from Amazon. http://www.eye.fi/products/android

Good point but power consumption will be greater when it is being used and my OP was written against the context of cycle-camping where every Watt is precious!

stewartpratt wrote:A MicroSD-to-SD adapter is under a quid on its own and can be had pretty much for free with MicroSD cards.

Agreed, I have since, following my Tesco impulse buy, found an 8GB micro card and adaptor for under £6.00 online. No doubt they can be founder even cheaper elsewhere.

stewartpratt wrote:Not sure why GPX upload requiring internet access makes it an issue over and above email, for which you need internet access :)

The e-mail works with a poor 'phone signal. Internet access needs a much better signal (3G or now 4G) and the amount of data used when "surfing" is much greater than when sending an e-mail. Again, the context is cycle-camping when you may not have access to WiFi. The CGOAB website has the facility to allow e-mail updates to journals for exactly this reason - it has a better chance of working when off the beaten track.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Aye, a Desire won't support OTG.

BeeKeeper wrote:The CGOAB website has the facility to allow e-mail updates to journals for exactly this reason - it has a better chance of working when off the beaten track.

Yeah, 'tis true, plus you have the advantage of being able to compose the email at your leisure and leave it in the outbox to be sent when the phone next syncs, rather than do the upload when you have signal.

Probably possible to do an HTTP upload without using the browser and having to load the page, using something like Tasker, though it's not trivial.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Perhaps a little off topic BUT it has made me think about carrying a spare micro SD. I use a Garmin 60 GPS which can only retain a limited number of tracks, either input via PC or made by the machine as it goes along. This is fine for shorter tours but anything over 2 weeks and you have to lose tracks. However could they not be transferred when the machine is full onto a spare micro SD? Not sure how to do that yet though.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Not off topic at all. My suggestion is very specific to one type of GPS but if you can save GPX files to an SD card on a Garmin then the method will work for them as well. Please let me know if you try it.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I also use an EyeFi card

Basically an SD card with built in WiFi - transmits photos from camera to phone / PC / Tablet

Works both with Android and IOS
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Beekeeper,
Thanks for your input. I have found that I can save tracks on SD card but can only retrieve them via PC. My model GPS will NOT read from SD - only from its internal memory.

So the issue of saving actual tracks over a long period is solved but not the one of following a long track downloaded from the web. These have to be split into a number of smaller ones, perhaps exceeding my maximum of 20 tracks and maximum of 500 points each. I could convert one of those larger files into an ACTIVE TRACKLOG and load it into the GPS memory via the PC, thus allowing far more trackpoints but I can only have 1 active tracklog in the machine. To input another on tour I would need a netbook or similar with mapsource loaded and use USB leads and that doesn't overcome your issue, that of weight and power use.

So my idea of carrying a spare micro SD is valueless as the existing one can hold all that I need to record over a tour.