Touring in Denmark?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tandem Tom

Touring in Denmark?

Post by Tandem Tom »

New here as I live in the U.S..
Just came across this site and thought I would ask if anyone here has had any experience with touring in Denmark? My wife and I ride a tandem and would like to do a trip next year in Europe and thought we would consider Denmark.
Would appreciate your advice.
Thanks!
Gearoidmuar

Re: Touring in Denmark?

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I did three days there as part of Berlin to Copenhagen about 5 years ago.
It's low but not flat. Gently rolling. Bike paths and roads are excellent. I thought it pretty but not spectacular like the West of Ireland or Scotland or parts of England. Not a lot of accommodation outside big towns. Food good. It's expensive, about the same as Ireland or Britain. Of course I've only seen a small bit of it.
Copenhagen is a nice city.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Denmark was my second 'overseas' tour after Ireland. Not spectacular but pretty, don't go in autumn as it can be wet. Accommodation i used youth Hostels and had no problem. Visited places such as Copenhagen (of course), Roskilde and the viking boat museum and across to Legoland, it was in 1984 so no doubt there will have been many changes. Quite pricey for food etc in those days, not sure how it compares with today's prices.

Good cycle routes, pleasant countryside I used a lot of ferries which were part of the national road network but am guessing many may have been replaced by bridges now.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Denmark was a lovely tour. I found the drivers there to be very courteous, and the bicycling was excellent. Many Danes speak English well. The height of summer (June / July) usually has the best weather, but it is also the most expensive time to travel. May might be a good compromise. There is a somewhat increased risk of yucky weather, but it will be easier to find places to stay, and likely be less to get there.

I recommend Copenhagen, Kolding, and Christianfeld as stops. Leave time each day for being a tourist, and ask locals about what to see. I found some very interesting places that way. Other than that, a good tour book, or some internet research to decide where to and what to do beforehand will be helpful.

The trains are good, and have special cars for bicycles. Ferries are also good, and it's worth taking at least one while you're there.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Did 2 weeks across the islands in July/August 2011.

For accomodation consider camping huts - most Danish campsites offer them, more than pitching a tent but far less than hotels and there are plenty of campsites out of towns.

Food is very expensive, beer is cheap.

Always visit the local tourist office, you'll never find half the stuff otherwise!

There are plenty of castles, museums, archaeology, beaches to keep you occupied - the cycle museum at Glumso is a must!

This book is a very good travel guide to a touring holiday in Denmark http://www.lulu.com/shop/andi-payne/the ... 59334.html
:D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I did two lovely weeks of Denmark in the late summer of 2011 with my adolescent son. It is a prosperous and well organized and civilized country, though maybe a tad boring. Cycling was good (I liked the German Esterbauer Bikeline guides). Rolling hills, and mostly pretty quiet roads. There were fewer campsites than I had hoped for and not all of them were very nice, but we managed, and some of the sites were very good. It is a a very expensive country compared to Euroland, or the US. Beer may be cheap in UK terms, but is pretty expensive from any other point of view.
Willem
gordy

Post by gordy »

I'm planning to ride across Denmark next summer en route to Sweden and beyond. I rode through from South to North a few years ago and really enjoyed the country. I didn't have a proper map at the time and was caught out by one of the (few) roads where cycling is banned. For this trip, I've bought myself a map!

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Home/Product ... 670105.htm
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Here you can find the entire map of Denmark Cycling Routes complete with relevant gpx tracks..
I did it two years ago and here below is my trip summary (sorry, it's in Italian...)
Dalla Svezia all'Italia
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting blog Conrad - a fully loaded Italian cycle tourist - I've always had the idea that those are a pretty rare breed. Maybe not?
Sweep
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Lovely country to tour. We did a tour there a couple of years ago and loved it. Very bike-friendly.

We really enjoyed island-hopping, especially the islands still only linked by ferries. Ærø was our favorite.
el flaco

Post by el flaco »

It's windy, best to cycle West to East. The bike routes are well sign posted.
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Windy? Nowhere near as much as the UK.
Jutland is probably on a par with the north sea coasts of the Netherlands and Germany.
Further east less so.