Drumming up

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bam

Drumming up

Post by bam »

Does anyone know where this expression comes from? On our Sunday club runs we always have the old Primus out all year round.. tea, soup, stew for all, the highlight of the day. We've always called it drumming up. Saddlebag, stove and full cape when wet, exploring country lanes and tracks..pure magic! Are there any other diehard groups out there who prefer their lunch outdoors using the stove in the old traditional way ?
gloomyandy

Re: Drumming up

Post by gloomyandy »

Which club? Sounds like one I'd want to join!

Sorry can't help with the source of the term. But stopping and getting the stove out is truly one of life's pleasures!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I believe it is a military reference where any suitable vessel was used to make a brew.

Almost any round vessel was described as a drum
bam

Post by bam »

Interesting. I suppose the expression itself could mean drumming up a meal, tea or whatever. Nothing about it on google, seems to be also still used in Scotland. Came across this article about a drum up near Glasgow http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-styl ... s-1.931134
We are based in County Tyrone soon to be transformed into a new ctc group
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

bam wrote:I suppose the expression itself could mean drumming up a meal, tea or whatever.

A conventional meaning for "drum up" is press into service, recruit, etc. So one might jocularly say one was going to drum up a meal, as if you would find one around the corner, thus downplaying the thought and preparation required from what you hope to find in the fridge.

I think sometimes these hard-to-be-sure-of expressions with competing explanations came into common usage precisely because they did have several references, thus giving several reinforcements to assist in their popularisation.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

drum up
1. To bring about by continuous, persistent effort: drum up new business.
2. To devise; invent: drummed up an alibi.
3. To evoke or obtain (support, business, etc.) by solicitation or canvassing
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

A classic drum up can be seen in this youtube video of a 1971 documentary about Bill Houston http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahGaL6e ... ure=relmfu
Its been linked to before here I think but its great stuff. The drum up is at about 2 minutes 45 seconds into the video.
There's a part one as well which can be found from the same site.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'd never heard of the the expression in regard to cycling until i read a book about Robert Millar, seems to be a Glasgow region thing.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
georgew

Post by georgew »

foxyrider wrote:I'd never heard of the the expression in regard to cycling until i read a book about Robert Millar, seems to be a Glasgow region thing.

No...no...no...the term was very common in Fife up till very recently. In my mind it is associated with the use of a Primus and brewing up tea in Golden syrup tin with a wire loop attached.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

georgew wrote:No...no...no...the term was very common in Fife up till very recently. In my mind it is associated with the use of a Primus and brewing up tea in Golden syrup tin with a wire loop attached.

The term has been well known in the Rough Stuff Fellowship for a long time, though to what degree it came into prominence there due to the considerable influence of some well-known cyclists from Fife in the fellowship I cannot say. But it was of sufficient interest to cyclists in the fellowship that one could, probably up until the early 90s, obtain through the sources in the fellowship a bracket for brazing onto one's bicycle frame, specifically designed to hold a primus stove.

The first time I actually saw someone use a primus stove to make a cup of tea while out on a day ride with the RSF was on a day where the group included that well-known couple of cyclists from Fife. But actually it was a Lancastrian who had the primus stove. The Fife couple collected sticks, lit a fire, and they had their cup of tea before the people with the primus stove. They had a blackened billycan, and a padded glove to pick it up.

About 20 years ago while touring in Scotland I came across some Edinburgh cyclists of broad age range having a drum-up with a primus. They were of a racing orientation, wearing lycra and having no gears lower than 42x24, though they were actually on a hostelling tour - we met them again at the hostel later that day. So it seems to me quite well established across a range of cycling types around the country.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

rualexander wrote:A classic drum up can be seen in this youtube video of a 1971 documentary about Bill Houston

Fantastic. And I thought I carried too much in my saddlebag :shock:
It seems I'm just a novice at the al fresco roadside banquet :D

Steve
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I first learned of "drumming up. when reading Davie Bell The Highwayman a number of years ago. A few years ago I came across a group of cyclists in a wood near Uddington having a drum up.
I’ve decided, today, that on my rides over 20 mls I’m going to stop at the 20 ml marker, no matter where it is, and stop and get a stove out. Plan is to make it my coffee stop.
My question is...Is it still a "drum up" when you make coffee? Don’t know why but I’m thinking it only refers to making tea.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

iviehoff wrote:
georgew wrote:No...no...no...the term was very common in Fife up till very recently. In my mind it is associated with the use of a Primus and brewing up tea in Golden syrup tin with a wire loop attached.

The term has been well known in the Rough Stuff Fellowship for a long time, though to what degree it came into prominence there due to the considerable influence of some well-known cyclists from Fife in the fellowship I cannot say. But it was of sufficient interest to cyclists in the fellowship that one could, probably up until the early 90s, obtain through the sources in the fellowship a bracket for brazing onto one's bicycle frame, specifically designed to hold a primus stove.

The first time I actually saw someone use a primus stove to make a cup of tea while out on a day ride with the RSF was on a day where the group included that well-known couple of cyclists from Fife. .
.. .

I know who you mean, any reason not to name them?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

it could go back to the days when army recruiters went from village to village etc to get get recruits and used drums to get attact attention ( and also get the adrenalin going ) - I think I have seen some thing like this on the tv series SHARP about the Napoleonic wars?
pj76

Post by pj76 »

Eric Wilson (Rossendale RC, national hill climb champion in late 50s) spoke about drum-ups when I interviewed him for a book on hill climbs.