WARNING: Bicycles in aircraft !

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lebarronblue

Re: WARNING: Bicycles in aircraft !

Post by lebarronblue »

On arrival at detestation airport how do you go about deposing of boxes?

I'm flying in to Nice, South of France next June so any advice on where to put bikes back together and where to get rid of the boxes

Nick
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Nick, In the baggage reclaim hall at Nice airport they have a bike building area up near the exit - it' just a workstand and a bit of tape on the ground but it indicates that you're welcome and can stop and work on the bike. I thought it was a terrific gesture. There was seating there too for when my rear mech wouldn't reattach and I needed a sit down. :D I got it working in the end.

I left my box there, beside the bin, but had I dragged it outside (30m) it might've joined 2 other bike boxes I saw at a bin by a bus stop outside the main entrance - perhaps thoughtfully placed for others in need of a bike box.

For your info, Nice airport sells Nice Airport branded poly bags (a bike needs two) in their baggage service office (I think that's what it's called). They were acceptable to Easyjet the day I flew a year ago. Also, the BA desk have their own big poly bags, free to customers.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Isn't your home airport the detestation airport?

I have never had a problem getting rid of empty bike box. Even at Gatwick, I try to find a cleaner and say I will be leaving, or if not, find anyone who works in the area to tell them it is rubbish. This avoids the bomb squad being called. Never had a problem - after all it is only rubbish. In developing countries they happily take it as they can sell it for scrap/recycling or someone will live in it for a month or two!

Bike boxes are free in countries like UK cos they have to pay to dispose - in developing countries you usually pay a small amount for reasons stated above.

I can get my bike in a box with only front wheel off. Someone told me of boxes for electric bikes that the whole bike fits in - will investigate for next trip..........but beware too big or too sturdy boxes as they can weigh quite a bit (4+kgs).

Having said all this, I am currently sitting in Saigon and my bike is in Dubai - but they have promised to deliver it to my hotel tomorrow!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I left my bike box propped against a rubbish bin at CDG Paris. Nobody bothered and it could come in useful for some other cyclist flying out. Although Easyjet will accept the plastic bag, check-in staff can be awkward. They would not accept it at Biarritz last year.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

I recently flew to Darwin with my Surly Long Haul Trucker in on box and my Extrawheel Voyager in another. As it turned out we couldn't get both boxes in the Landcrusier we where being picked up in so I removed the bike from the box outside the Darwin Airport terminal.

As I went to leave the box at a rubbish bin close to the terminal, security came along for a "chat." It seems that where not keen on me leaving the box there at all. Once I jumped on the box to squash it they calmed down and let me leave it a rubbish bin in the carpark.

I guess the threat of terrorists or something is stronger down under :)

Andrew
Cider and Scotch

Post by Cider and Scotch »

No problem atall with CTC plastic bag . To be honest if you cant see it has a bike in it the handlers eyes are worse than mine ! I find good manners ,asking for help ,an acceptance that your bike will get a few bumps and bruises ,and most importantly flying from a smaller regional airport ,where the staff are not so harrassed ........... (Southampton is excellent ) is the best way to minimise the inevitable hassle
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

No problem at all with CTC plastic bag .

Not my experience. It does not matter how well mannered you are, you are still at the mercy of the check-in operators perception of a bicycle bag.
gordy

Post by gordy »

I'm worried that the dire warnings in the thread above might put new tourers off. Let's get some perspective - I've checked in a bike twenty-nine times so far and have had no hassle at any desk or any damage on any flight. My preferred bag is a lightweight cloth/canvas "bike bag" from Decathlon (£50) or Wiggle (£36 to £60). The bike fits in with just the front wheel removed.... plus pedals off, bars turned and saddle dropped. That takes about fifteen minutes at the airport. I don't pad or protect anything but I do use a dozen cable ties to keep it all together. I'm not precious about paint scratches or an occasional twisted brake lever. As someone said above, it's just a bike.

On arrival at my destination airport, I'll rebuild the bike and post the bag onwards to my final destination. I've used cardboard boxes and plastic bags too, but like the "bike bag" for simplicity. I get the impression that the airports like them too.

In conclusion - please go touring in faraway places. Take your bike on the plane! It's easy - IMHO.
hufty

Post by hufty »

gordy wrote:I'm worried that the dire warnings in the thread above might put new tourers off. Let's get some perspective...Take your bike on the plane! It's easy - IMHO.

Well said gordy. For preference I use no bag whatsoever, but I'm happy to use a CTC bag or equivalent to protect the bike from oily suitcases if that's the airline's published requirement. I've had hassles at check-in due to ill-informed staff but have never failed to get my bike on the plane. I would never travel without a print-out of the airline's relevant baggage rules (correct as at the time of booking as pointed out elsewhere) and armed with that, it's easy!
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm worried that the dire warnings in the thread above might put new tourers off.

What will put them off more is a load of hassle at the airport and possibly missing, or paying more for another flight. These are not, IMO, dire warnings just sage advice so that they can pack the bike properly and avoid any problems. As far as I am aware a proper bike bag will always be accepted but many check-in do not see the CTC bag as a proper bag, due to the lack of lettering or graphics. A bike box guarantees acceptance. Personally, if possible, I will use a box on the outward trip as I find it easier to manage on a luggage trolley plus more protection for the bike. A thin bag for the return flight, as any damage is simpler to sort once back home.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

hufty wrote:
gordy wrote:I'm worried that the dire warnings in the thread above might put new tourers off. Let's get some perspective...Take your bike on the plane! It's easy - IMHO.

Well said gordy. For preference I use no bag whatsoever, but I'm happy to use a CTC bag or equivalent to protect the bike from oily suitcases if that's the airline's published requirement.

Not critisicising Gordy and I appreciate why he said what he did, but I do think it's best to be cautious. As regards no bag at all, I was at Stanstead a couple of years ago and saw a couple who had done this - turned handlebars round, pedals off etc and very minimal if any covering. Their bike was rejected for carrying by whoever was responsible for Easyjet's check-in handling. They were clearly panicked (I would be) but the check-in bod wasn't budging. Fortunately they somehow managed to find in minimal time two large cardboard boxes somewhere that looked kind of like bikeboxes. I have no idea where they managed to locate such things in an airport-shopping emporia devoted mostly to small nick-nacks but there must have been a kind fairy around that day.

There might not always be.

Unless Gordy wants to rent his out :)
Sweep
hufty

Post by hufty »

Portland wrote:As regards no bag at all, I was at Stanstead a couple of years ago and saw a couple who had done this - turned handlebars round, pedals off etc and very minimal if any covering. Their bike was rejected for carrying by whoever was responsible for Easyjet's check-in handling.

Possibly because Easyjet's rules state that bikes should be in a bag or a box? Nobody is suggesting that you should expect to swan up to the airport and ignore any baggage rules you don't like.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine