Majorca Road Cycling

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
IanSmitton

Re: Majorca Road Cycling

Post by IanSmitton »

I can see that most of the routes have been pretty well covered, but I have one more to recommend. I would do the ride to Lluc on two different days - the first one go up to Escorca and do Sa Calobra, then down Salva / Campanet and back to PP.

The second (longer one) would go all the way to Puerto Soller (not doing Sa Calobra), then continue on the road to Deia and Valldemossa (really pretty area). You can then carry on the coast all the way to Dragonera - before going over the mountains into Palma. This is about 110km, so unless you want to do 160km, you can get the train back to Sa Pobla (goes every half an hour) and just cycle 20km or so from there to PP. The bit south of Puerto Soller is definitely worth going to - many people staying around PP / Alcudia never go that far unfortunately.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

You just have to be careful with the trains as some do not allow bikes on at certain times, but you can also utilise the buses which do take bikes.

Must admit did not suggest going over that far, as they only have a week and there is plenty to occuply in one weeks already.

it is also one reason why we do not always stay in PP, but try different resorts :D as we can get to some slightly different areas and re-visit faves from a different direction. We will be in Arenal area for a week in November.

In November it is going dark at about 5.45-6pm, do not know about October.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

eileithyia wrote:Just check they are being transported or know about the bikes for the transfer etc., some lads on one of our recent flights, were on the same resort transfer as us and found they had not booked the bikes in advance and were charged 90e extra for the transfer to the resort (more than we hired our bikes for).

For that price I would have taken my bike off the bus and ridden it to the resort!
GlasgowAl

Post by GlasgowAl »

IanSmitton wrote:I can see that most of the routes have been pretty well covered, but I have one more to recommend. I would do the ride to Lluc on two different days - the first one go up to Escorca and do Sa Calobra, then down Salva / Campanet and back to PP.

The second (longer one) would go all the way to Puerto Soller (not doing Sa Calobra), then continue on the road to Deia and Valldemossa (really pretty area). You can then carry on the coast all the way to Dragonera - before going over the mountains into Palma. This is about 110km, so unless you want to do 160km, you can get the train back to Sa Pobla (goes every half an hour) and just cycle 20km or so from there to PP. The bit south of Puerto Soller is definitely worth going to - many people staying around PP / Alcudia never go that far unfortunately.

Thanks very much Ian...will consider all options.

Cheers,

Alan
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mark1978 wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Just check they are being transported or know about the bikes for the transfer etc., some lads on one of our recent flights, were on the same resort transfer as us and found they had not booked the bikes in advance and were charged 90e extra for the transfer to the resort (more than we hired our bikes for).

For that price I would have taken my bike off the bus and ridden it to the resort!

Well yes maybe but bikes were packed in transport bags, and they had their suitcases....
....funniest bit though, they were laughing at us on the plane for hiring bikes... reckoned it was cheaper and better to take own... our bikes cost 85e per week... and they were only there for a long weekend... guess who had last laugh!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
GlasgowAl

Post by GlasgowAl »

Hi, you've got us thinking about bike hire now!

Thanks for all the very useful information, having also done quite a bit of research then can't quite believe Majorca hasn't been on our radar until now!

re: bike hire vs taking our own...we live in Glasgow but flying from Newcastle so cycle hire could appeal on a number of levels. Can I ask...

Did you find the price/bike value for money?

Silly question but how do they cater for your own road shoes/cleat spec? Take your own pedals?

Any risks regarding mechanical faults and/or bike malfunction and liabilities?

Anything else useful would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alan
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

See pm
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

eileithyia wrote:See pm

If you have information please share it with all of us, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mark1978 wrote:
eileithyia wrote:See pm

If you have information please share it with all of us, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.

Sure but have shared it before on other Mallorca threads, it was just that the OP had pm'd and replied before I saw similar request on the main thread :D
Anyway we always use Hannes and velosportmallorca.com
He delivers anywhere on the island with a charge to cover first bike, 1 bike or 10 same delivery charge. He is slightly more expensive than Sanchos in Cala Millor... but frankly some friends had hired from there earlier this year and we were not impressed.. mis-matched old kit, quill handlebar stem so no chance of changing for shorter/longer stem with ease etc. ie had a bike this year with too short stem and it was quickly resolved by velosport team as it was a modern front loading stem.
Included in the charge is free breakdown recovery; someone in our hotel wrecked gear/wheel at the highest point of the island on his own bike earlier this year... it cost 70e from airport taxi transfer firm they use, to collect and deliver to hotel... then he still had to get bike repaired and resolve not having a bike for rest of week.

Being German (former semi pro) and hiring to continentals, a high level of performance is delivered and expected by those who hire. ie Hannes told us once that he decided not to update from 9spd to 10spd and wondered why his bookings dropped off.... the germans were going elsewhere cos they demand high quality and latest updates, so he had to update. So in other words you should not get some poorly maintained over used / abused hire bike such as you might pick at some where like Tissington Trail that is hired to the masses.. if that makes sense.

As you will see from the website there are a variety of types of bike available; we just hire the basic Cucuma Luar, it is perfectly adequate for what we need.
You will need own saddle (that's personal preference), own pedals, we always stock up on inner tubes from Decathlon before we go. You may want some sort of pack that will fix to the saddle steam, or lightweight bag to sling on your back.

We also use it for convnience... we get bikes delivered to hotel asap after our arrival, we try to get the early morning flight so we are in hotel by lunchtime, bikes delviered early afternoon means we get 3-4 hours that afternoon. No faffing around trying to get bike rebuilt etc. We also try to get an evening flight out, so we can use the bikes again that morning... thus maximising our time out there, no need to spend last morning stripping bike down and packing it.. when you can be out on it, then hand it over within a couple fo hours of heading off to the airport. :D
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Any more advice on Port de Pollenca?

I'm probably wanting to hire a road bike - but I've never had one before (I ride a hybrid at home) so would want something with friendly gearing.

But my Brother-in-law (36) and Father-in-Law (late 50's) are also wanting to hire bikes - I doubt they'd want road bikes, probably something to ride along the seafront rather than climbing mountains, and most of the sites I've looked at seem to be only for hard core road bikes.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I fly with my bike all over the place. I hate it! It is IMO a load of hassle. This year I took off for a week in Mallorca in an All incl hotel using a hired bike. I loved it! I floated through the airport with hand baggage only for an £80 return flight. Got a great bike for £90 for a week. Eat and drank like a pig. Thought I was in paradise. Handed the bike back and hopped onto the shuttle bus. Will be doing it again ASAP. :)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mark1978 wrote:Any more advice on Port de Pollenca?

I'm probably wanting to hire a road bike - but I've never had one before (I ride a hybrid at home) so would want something with friendly gearing.

But my Brother-in-law (36) and Father-in-Law (late 50's) are also wanting to hire bikes - I doubt they'd want road bikes, probably something to ride along the seafront rather than climbing mountains, and most of the sites I've looked at seem to be only for hard core road bikes.

Well velosport mallorca that we use also have mtb type bikes, or if you just want to hire something to ride along the seafront many places/hotels have bikes that will fit the job.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Has anybody ever used 'Rent March' in Port de Pollenca? They have Trek Madones to hire which is good because I was thinking of buying one! But their website leaves a lot to be desired and doesn't have much info about them.
Mystical

Post by Mystical »

Mark1978 wrote:Has anybody ever used 'Rent March' in Port de Pollenca? They have Trek Madones to hire which is good because I was thinking of buying one! But their website leaves a lot to be desired and doesn't have much info about them.

We used Rent March last April 2012, and have re-booked again for April 2013, we found them excellent, They do have availiable Trek Madone's (was new for 2012) but we hired 2 of the Carbon Orbea Oynx Roadbikes, which come as a triple option, extra ring for them long climbs!!! I needed it being a 48 year old cycling veteran who sucessfully conquered Sa Calobra on my first attempt.

Hire did include helmets if required, and they will fit pedals if you want, we used Look Keo. We took them along with us though just in case but did'nt need them

Hope this is of some help.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Mystical wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Has anybody ever used 'Rent March' in Port de Pollenca? They have Trek Madones to hire which is good because I was thinking of buying one! But their website leaves a lot to be desired and doesn't have much info about them.

We used Rent March last April 2012, and have re-booked again for April 2013, we found them excellent, They do have availiable Trek Madone's (was new for 2012) but we hired 2 of the Carbon Orbea Oynx Roadbikes, which come as a triple option, extra ring for them long climbs!!! I needed it being a 48 year old cycling veteran who sucessfully conquered Sa Calobra on my first attempt.

Hire did include helmets if required, and they will fit pedals if you want, we used Look Keo. We took them along with us though just in case but did'nt need them

Hope this is of some help.

Very helpful thanks. You never know if they are going to be great or crooks! :)