Pennine Cycleway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HebdenBiker

Pennine Cycleway

Post by HebdenBiker »

School's out shortly, so I'm abandoning the wife and kids for a few days and heading off on my first multi-day tour. I want to ride the Pennine Cycleway from Hebden Bridge to Derby, then ride back through the Peak District. 4 days (3 nights' camping) in total. There used to be a website that had all sorts of info and tips on the trail, but it appears to have been taken down. So maybe you good people could answer me a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know the distance of the trail between Hebden Bridge and Derby? I estimate approx 100 miles.

2. I understand that, in some sections, navigation is dodgy if you're using the offical 1:100000 map. Any specific pointers?

3. Any recommendations for routes/stop-offs/trails between Derby and Hebden Bridge? (Probably camping in Buxton but not set in stone)

Thanks in advance and I hope you all enjoy your own tours this summer
cidermartin

Re: Pennine Cycleway

Post by cidermartin »

1. Derby to Hebden Bridge is 102 miles. Flatish to near Buxton then the hills start!
2. I used the Sustrans 1:100,000 maps and had no major issues. It was difficult getting out of Derby but once I found the first sign I was OK. Some urban signage had been moved/modified by the locals for their 'enjoyment' but nothing too bad.
3. I used YHAs and B&Bs throughout. Coming towards the end of the Tissington Trail near Buxton there were several campsites.

Overall this is a totally superb cycle ride. However, the hills are big and unrelenting in the middle section; do not underestimate. Latterly, the route becomes easier and quietier as you ride through the sparsely populated northeastern area. Wonderful ride.

I completed this route in eight days in early April with mileage ranging from 80 to 50 miles. Some sections had many rough tracks but it all added to the remoteness of it. Certainly the hardest of the Sustrans in my opinion but probably my favourite for its variety.

There are many websites offering information. I collated these and if you want me to email you my documents let me know.

Martin
HebdenBiker

Post by HebdenBiker »

Thanks for your reply Martin. You have PM
robnew

Post by robnew »

Hello , I am also wanting to do the PCW. Any info would be useful such as distances, elevations, routes and accommodation.
All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I cycled part of the PCW from Settle to Derby then to Leicester in 3 days in May 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed the route and would like to return to do the part from Berwick to Settle.

Settle to Buxton was hilly, sometimes very hilly and challenging. The scenery was wonderful. I would thoroughly recommend it.

We were staying in B&B's and a Youth Hostel (Ravenstor) in Derbyshire but if I did the route again I would have aimed to stop at Hartington YH if possible just because it is so nice.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

From Derby going north there is a good Sustrans route which is off main roads. Not very far (Darley Abbey) and you are on the A6 til you turn off left for Wirksworth and up the hill to the High Peak Trail at Middleton (or Steeple Grange) - takes you through to above Buxton. Nice route.
robnew

Post by robnew »

Thanks.
I was thinking of Derby to New Mills then day 2 New Mills to Hebden Bridge.

Does anybody know the aproximate climbing involved on day 2 to the nearest 1000 feet.

Thanks
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

A little mapping website that shall remain nameless tells me it's 1300m, so 4200-ish feet. That's assuming you stick on the A road for a short way past the Woodhead summit, which you'll want to unless you have a full-sus MTB.

It's a superb route: I did it all in six days a few years back and would love to do it again.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

[quote="Richard Fairhurst"]A little mapping website that shall remain nameless tells me it's 1300m, so 4200-ish feet. That's assuming you stick on the A road for a short way past the Woodhead summit, which you'll want to unless you have a full-sus MTB.

quote]
Why the mountain bike? maybe we're tougher round here but its quite possible to take a reasonably robust road bike over the TPT Woodhead summit, we were certainly doing it on early rigid atb's 25 years ago!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Richard Fairhurst

I did it on a Ridgeback hybrid and it's not an experience I'd repeat! The ascent to the summit from the west, in particular, was uncyclable IMO. But different people have different tolerance levels, I guess.

Here's a pic I found on Geograph: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3230612
cnb

Post by cnb »

I thought this was about the PCW and not the TPT..Two different routes (I think)..I rode the former a few years back on a Marin Muirwoods..Fully loaded..And the only section that i remember having to walk was a cobbled hill in Hebden Bridge..Took one look and climbed off the bike..One of the best official routes in England imo...Well i enjoyed it :)
cnb

Post by cnb »

Ps..I rode south to north..If i was coming the other way the bank out of Dentdale would have been interesting
Richard Fairhurst

The Pennine Cycleway and Trans-Pennine Trail use the same route over Woodhead. But I agree that the Pennine Cycleway is one of the best in Britain. :)
honesty

Post by honesty »

There is also the possibility that Richard Fairhurst is talking about the Pennine Bridleway national trail, for which from the their website a mountain bike is recommended.
robnew

Post by robnew »

Thanks all for the information.
I have done the TPT a couple of times. First time on a hard tail MTB and second on a hybrid with MudGuards fitted.
The Woodhead section was fine on both although walked a few yards on the rocky bit with the loaded hybrid.

For some strange reason I get towards the end of the year and realise I haven't done much then decide to get my finger out. November isn't the best time of year for Pennine routes but on the other hand it does give an extra dimension with the shorter days and possible poorer weather.

I intend doing it over 3 separate weekends. Derby to Hebden Brdidge, Hebden Bridge to Appleby (both 2 day weekends) then Appleby to Berwick, 3 days. I am trying to balance getting some distance done but also being able to stop and see things and enjoy rather than some of the head down days I have had in the past where it was just about getting to the end point.

If all goes well the intention would be to do it with other people maybe next spring...
I don't have a problem deviating from 'official' routes where it makes sense at the time.

Thanks again..

ps what mapping web site?