my touring setup

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
salsafargo

my touring setup

Post by salsafargo »

i use my salsa fargo for offroad cycling mainly i have 2 pairs of wheels one with 2.4 maxxis ardent tyres and the other pair with 700x38c slick tyres,thought id go away cycle touring as a new hobby.took some pictures of my bike
Attachments
fargo-doblo roof rack 012.jpg
fargo touring 001.jpg
foxyrider

Re: my touring setup

Post by foxyrider »

Some interesting packing!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I so loved the look and spec of this bike for expedition touring, but one big thing lets it down. No horizontal rear drop out option for a hub gear such as Rholoff or Alfine 11. So scores a B-.

But still a nice looking bike.

As poster above has noticed, some interesting packing arrangements there.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi, as said before very nice looking bike with some interesting packing. How and to what are the fork bags attatched ,is there something to stop them swinging into the wheel. Again how is the handlebar bag attatched , is that a second handlebar stem fitted? regards nomisp
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

i have salsa anything cages fitted to the rear of the fork blade,you can fit a 5 litre dry bag in them or any round cylinder about 200mm diameter they cost 16 pounds each,frame bag off ebay for 10 pounds fits my camera wallet arm and knee warmers.
fitted a 150 stem underneath existing one and made a small support from a pair of onza bar ends,copper tube and pair of old riser bars i can fit a sleeping bag here.
just changed the rear rack to a tortec expedition and ortlieb front roller classic panniers,im off away tomorow for a 2 day ride to see how eevrything performs before i do the dales cycle way next weekend.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I am sure it is a lovely ride on those big tyres. Have fun.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

That's interesting, what gear range do you have? I take it you are happy to ride all day in the rain without mudguards.
What does your luggage weigh?
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

ANTONISH wrote:That's interesting, what gear range do you have? I take it you are happy to ride all day in the rain without mudguards.
What does your luggage weigh?

i have a 22-32-44 at the front and a 12-36 at the back, needed the 36 today as going up hills with camping gear sucks, i dont know how much my luggage weighs it was my first trip away yesterday
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

salsafargo wrote:
i have a 22-32-44 at the front and a 12-36 at the back, needed the 36 today as going up hills with camping gear sucks, i dont know how much my luggage weighs it was my first trip away yesterday

Just wait until you get some real climbing!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

A touring bike without decent mudguards = misery on wet roads.
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

PDQ wrote:A touring bike without decent mudguards = misery on wet roads.

thanks fot the tip ill think ill fit them tomorow didnt think ill need them with it been summer :D
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

these are the anything cages that carry my tent ans sleeping bag
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldspokesh ... otostream/
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Very useful gear ratios for touring.