Fly out, ship home?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrjemm

Fly out, ship home?

Post by mrjemm »

Reading up on flying with bikes has got me concerned for our trip to NW USA in a couple of months, and I am trying to ponder a safe, cost-careful and sensible way of getting the bikes there and back.

We're flying BA out to Seattle via LHR, and back via Chicago, but the return is operated by American Airlines, so presumably we have to pay extra on the way back, and seemingly no choice but to use a box (rather than a bag, which is an option with BA apparently).

We plan to use cheapo cardboard boxes out (as we can't find nice CTC bags any more...), but as we're flying out at a different airport (San Francisco) to that we flew into (Seattle), we'd have to source new boxes in SF.

It occurred to me that we may be better off looking into shipping the bikes back- maybe slower, but perhaps easier/cheaper and we both have other bikes at home to keep the blisters fresh. Has anyone ever done this, or is there anything we should be aware of? Any suggestions?

Cheers, Jem.
tatanab

Re: Fly out, ship home?

Post by tatanab »

A possibility might be North American Van Lines. http://www.northamerican.com/ I used them 3 times in the 90s, twice with my household bits and bikes packed in a crate the size of a desk. They flew that for me at a good price. The third time, most relevant to you, I shipped two bikes and a very small amount of household bits from LA to the UK. I had the time to put stuff in cardboard boxes and they turned up with a small van and strapped it all onto a small pallet. So this was a part of part load by their standards. I sent it by sea which took about 5 weeks. If you Google for North American Van Lines UK you get a couple of regional UK addresses such as http://www.removals-service.co.uk/remov ... n%20Lines/ It might be worth a phone call.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Thanks Tatanab, will look into those.
CJ

Post by CJ »

mrjemm wrote:we can't find nice CTC bags any more...

Should be able to: look here!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Brilliant, thanks CJ.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Shipping a bike can be very expensive because of the way they measure it. It is not volume, but linear.

I read this recently which gives you an idea of price for internal US shipping, you can add whatever for international. http://www.biketouringtips.com/showTipC ... tipID=1578

The cheapest way is to post it (mail). To do this you have to strip it down completely and box up frame and bits - usually 2 boxes. I have known it done from NZ and China. Takes a lot of work!

Unfortunately, I think you may have to bite the bullet and fly with your bikes.
familyonabike

Post by familyonabike »

We've shipped bikes and trailers around the world using freight services and household effects international removals firms. As others say it can be expensive with some firms who charge according to dimensions as well as weight, but if you can box, protect, minimise volume, send sea freight and not be concerned about delivery time so operator can consolidate with other loads it's quite possible to do, question is is it worth the hassle? You might be able to find a bike shop who could help with this, perhaps for a fee. We've also arranged one way gear returns in Europe using the auction site shiply.com which has worked out well for us too.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

American do allow bags so I would get a couple and mail them out to where you will be staying in San Fran.

Bicycles
Allowance/Requirements

One non-motorized touring or racing bike

Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or pedals and handlebars must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar material. Bike must be in a hard-sided case built for bike transport or a bike bag or box. Bikes not in a hard-sided case are considered fragile.
Cost

$150 regardless of the number of checked bags.

Exception: If bicycle and container are less than 62 dimensional inches and under 50 lbs., the bike is charged the applicable 1st checked bag rate.
Maximum Weight and Size

70 lbs., 126 inches
Additional Information

Acceptance conditional on aircraft size and load factors
Exception: If a bike is less than 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs., the above conditions do not apply
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Aha, even more info. Thanks all.

So it's now seeming that I should not be so concerned about flying American and that anyway it'll be less hassle than shipping.

I've followed CJ's link, and bought a couple of the CTC bags, which I am assuming are small/light enough when rolled up to sit in the bottom of a pannier, so we can just take with us (if they're not destroyed on the way out!), or else get a couple of spares and take anyway. Lots of bubble-wrap and care to be taken though, especially with her new Mercian! (The guilt I feel for the chips I put in the paint during build is horrendous... A sick feeling).

Looking at 62" (converted to 157.48cm) & 50lbs (22.7kg), I see us comfortably inside that measurement anyway. Though I wonder if it's worth removing forks also, at least on my bigger bike.

No arguments about letting the air out of the tyres though- can only remove the wheels if I do so on her's, even with little QR lever lifted. No such issue with my discs, but rotors off I guess. I figure about an hour all in to get them back in action for the trip to our 1st stay base. As long as the security fellows don't jump the beardie on his knees in a discreet corner, fiddling with tools and funny packages.

Cheers, Jem.