2011 Ultra Galaxy clearance

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
indy

Post by indy »

Have I missed it????

Anyone know if there is a dealer out there anywhere that has a 58cm Dawes 2011 Ultra Galaxy for around £1000 mark?

Loads of places are advertising between £950 and £1100 but on checking all thats left is the 43cm :(

The 2012 model is a bit rich for me beside I prefer the 2011 colour :)
Cheers
indy

Re: 2011 Ultra Galaxy clearance

Post by indy »

Despite them not being the best price it was my first port of call as they seem to have got a lot of good feedback on this site BUT after placing an order for the correct size got through to the inputting of my credit card details and thought I'd best give 'em a call before sending 'em £1200 and guess what? despite the website saying they have stock in actual fact they didn't :cry:

I've scoured the internet and lots of great deals if you want a 43cm bike but nothing for the 58cm. As such was wondering if anyone here had any insider knowledge.
Cheers
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Ah, bad luck. I checked that the website claimed your size was available. It's always frustrating when suppliers don't update their websites.

Sorry, I have no insider knowledge.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

my only question is - why do you want one?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
indy

Post by indy »

Well for the more observant of you I was here about 18 months ago asking about retrofitting brake shifters to my 1993ish Dawes Super Galaxy. Well about 6 months ago it was stolen..... I'm still in mourning :(
I had many thousands of miles on it till about 2005 when I stopped due touring due to other commitments.

I feel that Dawes is a good solid choice and as the Ultra was on a very decent clearance price it appeared to be a no brainer. I have yet to see/sit on one (that proving a bit of a nightmare) but as I've said there's a lot of history and experience behind the Dawes Galaxy range.

BTW do you know of a dealer with a £1000ish price Ultra in a 58cm size which is IN STOCK???????
Ambler

Post by Ambler »

http://www.discovercycling.com/bikes/bi ... age-2.html

These people may have one. The 2010 s galaxy looks interesting
Ambler

Post by Ambler »

BikeFix in Coinduit Street are agents for VSF Fahrradmanufaktur. They have tourers in the range, mainly straight bars.
A long shot but may be worth a call.
kuba

Post by kuba »

This is what you're looking for: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAWES-ULTRA-G ... 43add5bd08

Asking price is £1,150 but you can always try and make an offer.
indy

Post by indy »

Thanks Kuba. will be keeping an eye on this but never used eBay before.
RonK

Post by RonK »

indy wrote:Despite them not being the best price it was my first port of call as they seem to have got a lot of good feedback on this site BUT after placing an order for the correct size got through to the inputting of my credit card details and thought I'd best give 'em a call before sending 'em £1200 and guess what? despite the website saying they have stock in actual fact they didn't :cry:

You are not the only one to have such an experience with Spa. I tried to buy an Ultra Galaxy Ti, but after a lengthy exchange of emails Spa refused to sell me one on the feeble grounds that the shipment couldn't be insured. B.S. of course.
Eventually I concluded that the ad was simply a price leader and they didn't actually have one to sell me at the advertised price. A little further research revealed that there are more than a few people who are dissatisfied by their dealings with Spa.

Posted via Tapatalk
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
ossie

Post by ossie »

Thats a bit naughty that they still , EVEN NOW have a 58cm Ultra Galaxy advertised 2 weeks later on the offers page when they are apparently out of stock. It doesnt inspire confidence and I guess is nothing more than a leader to get hits on their site and attract custom.

Do they not realise the months of research that people put into buying a bike and then to go as far as clicking on the page and getting the thing in the basket , give them your credit card details etc only to find out it doesn't exist is a bit of a shocker and a real let down.

I fully expect someone from Spa to post soon saying its a technical glitch .... :?
indy

Post by indy »

Hey guys I'm sure it was just an oversight looking now I see that the 58cm is showing out of stock.

As I mentioned in my original post the thing that got me most about it was that I'd have inputted my Credit Card details which I don't like doing on websites at the best of times let alone when there was no chance of actually getting the product I wanted.

I've spoken to them a couple times on the phone and they came across as very helpful well apart from the "buy a Spa Ti" hard sell thing! :shock:
johnb

Post by johnb »

Call me a cynic if you wish, but more and more while looking at this thread and the other
" companion " thread indy has going, I feel that both threads are a very, very subtle attack by subterfuge on Spa Cycles. Anyone else notice or think this?.
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=61036
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
indy

Post by indy »

If you look at my OP there is no mention of Spa it was only after another person links to the Spa site also thinking they had the stock as advertised that I mention my dealing with them.

Your seeing malice where there is none!