Beware Gatwick / Norwegian airline & unpacked bikes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigjim

Re: Beware Gatwick / Norwegian airline & unpacked bikes

Post by bigjim »

Its only worth buying their box if you are riding the bike there. You can get them for nothing from a decent LBS as they are only too happy to get rid of them.
By the way they are normally £10 at airports I've been to in Europe.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I can recommend the Ground Effect Tardis.

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/BAG/TAR/

folds to the size of an A4 sheet of paper in area/footprint - about as big as an old non-slimmed down phone directory
Sweep
TOP Team

Post by TOP Team »

Another update: enquiries@gatwickairport.com says today in an email:

"As an airport we do not state how the bike should be packaged. Bikes come through in boxes, hard cases, bags and various other states of wrap.
However the airline is entitled to stipulate their own terms of carriage."

Norwegian airlines does however not reply...still waiting 24hrs after posted question about this to their customer service (?) department.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Good luck with that, TOPTeam, and I mean that in the nicest possible way, I do hope you succeed. I had a concerted attempt a few years ago at getting Norwegian to realise that they are alone in thinking that Gatwick Airport Limited insist on bikes being transported in a hard case, but they wouldn't have it. During a very slow game of email tennis, they kept stating that they had checked "at the highest levels at Gatwick", and this anonymous authority kept confirming to them that bikes can only be transported in a hard case. Half way through they became insistent that only written proof on letterheaded paper would be acceptable, not forwarded emails, but Gatwick customer services took the line that as they'd emailed me the information and it's the 21st century, so no we're not going to give you the same information on parchment.

The nadir was when Norwegian sent me (not the other way round) this jpeg and insisted it was proof that Gatwick require bikes to be shipped in hard packaging and not in a bag. When I pointed out the obvious, they "considered the matter closed" on me, and that was the end of that.

As I say, good luck, I'll send you a virtual pint if you get anywhere.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
TOP Team

Post by TOP Team »

I am very close to cash in on your virtual pint, Hufty ;) I got these e-mails from sean at norwegian's contact center:

"Since on our homepage the passenger can only order bike without hardcase, then there shall be no problem for the passenger to arrive at London Gatwick airport with his bike/s whitout hardcase packaging. The passenger is allowed to transport the bike/s with or without hardcase packaging. This is up to the him. Norwegian takes no responsability if the bike/bikes are damaged under transport if they are not packaged in a hardcase.
Mvh/Kind regards.
Sean
Contact Centre"

I then asked him to confirm: "The question is not about arriving at LGW but departing from LGW. Can you confirm that it is possible to check in bicycles at LGW in a soft bicycle bag?"

And got this answer:
"There shall be no problem for you to check inn you're bikes without hardcase in att London Gatwick Airport."

It might be too early to fully enjoy your pint, but I am anyway going to try, showing up at check in with the bikes in CTC plastic bags.
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

Any updates on this? I am moving to America on the 28th... Flying Norwegian, from LGW... So if they refuse me at the airport, I am really stuck!
RickH

Post by RickH »

pitchshifter wrote:Any updates on this? I am moving to America on the 28th... Flying Norwegian, from LGW... So if they refuse me at the airport, I am really stuck!

If it was me, I would play safe & box the bike - get a cardboard bike box (& plastic fork spacer) off a bike shop (which should be free, as they would only have to dispose of it anyway) & pack it in that with a bit of pipe insulation and/or bubble wrap to separate/protect stuff.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Given that Norwegian have been so obdurate on this one, I would get it in writing that a cardboard box is acceptable as a "hard box/case" and, as always, have paper copies of everything with you at check-in.

Next time you emigrate to America with a bike, pitchshifter, consider Virgin Atlantic. I mention them because of their brilliant sports equipment carriage terms.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
simonind

Post by simonind »

Hi,
Slightly off topic but has anyone tried to fly Norwegian with a packed bike as hold luggage? Mine comes in at 19.5kg in a BikeBoxAlan which meets the dimensions requirements for hold luggage. However I don't know whether to book it as a bike as I don't want to get stung at the airport. Any advice appreciated?

Cheers
Simon
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Try KLM huffy.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.