Beware Gatwick / Norwegian airline & unpacked bikes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dave holladay

Re: Beware Gatwick / Norwegian airline & unpacked bikes

Post by dave holladay »

Rail is becoming increasingly the better way to go, especially if you can bag up a bike as carry-on luggage (120cm x 90cm). Recommend DB (UK office/online) for making the bookings, but you may need to check Eurostar for cross channel leg.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

On an old galaxy to get the length down to 120cm you'd need to remove both wheels, rear rack and front rack.
the 60cm height is the same as the vertical distance from the front axle to the top of the bars. So it implies removal of the cranks, chain set and rear dérailleur. And putting the saddle down to below the level of the handlebars. Its quite a lot.

I noticed the DB planner wasn't very good at picking up bicycle friendly trains in France; it found some but missed the "Intercities" (non TGV long distance trains). The SNCF site for these is reasonably helpful but you still have to click on the more details tab to see bike suitability. For long journeys you could be forced into stitching together "local" RER trains into hops of an hour or so and practically breaking the journey a couple of times. It can also be hard to miss "connecting" via paris. Its not a great situation.
hufty

Post by hufty »

You could of course fly Manchester-Oslo/Stavanger or Edingburgh-Oslo with Norwegian and this packaging bs wouldn't apply.

Norwegian Air have gone wrong. After my last posting on this thread I had several more attempts but got bored - you only get as far as the numpties in the contact centre. My line of attack was still "Why do you insist bikes are frozen in carbonite for flights out of Gatwick when this condition does not apply to any other airport Norwegian fly from, and Gatwick does not require this from any other carrier." I gave examples but Norwegian refused to "click" on any "links" and it proved tedious trying to get written details from other airlines who also have contact centres staffed by numpties. A classic case of a corporation forming a roman tortoise when challenged by an outsider (aka a customer) rather than deal with the issue head on.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Is this just a Norwegian thing or a Gatwick thing? It can't be Gatwick handling because I flew in and out of there last year with the bike in a plastic bag without any problem. Norwegian are not handling the bike so I don't see the problem.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

dave holladay wrote:Rail is becoming increasingly the better way to go, especially if you can bag up a bike as carry-on luggage (120cm x 90cm). Recommend DB (UK office/online) for making the bookings, but you may need to check Eurostar for cross channel leg.

Rail would be great, if I had a day and half to make the journey...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
johnb

Post by johnb »

Sad days indeed when the advice coming from the CTC and/or their Reps is to dismantle your bike and stick it into a bag for travel.

Whatever happened to cycle campaigning to at least keep what we currently have?
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

If this is a Gatwick thing, beware! Edinburgh Airport has just been sold to the same owners as Gatwick.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hufty, full marks for perseverance with Norwegian, but why stick to emails when they are not being answered properly? Most consumer advice says to write to a senior exec with your complaint (as in letter to named official). This might elicit a meaningful reply and some action.

On another point - I regularly fly with a packaged bike and find it somewhat amusing when people talk about catching trains, changing platforms, etc with a bike in a bag - plus of course your panniers in your hand. This sort of luggage is very unmanageable, particularlyif you are not an Olympic weightlifter. In an airport I use a trolley, without that I find it very difficult to carry (unwheelable) bike and bags.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I too find a bike in an airport unwieldy. I hate with a passion having to cart my bike around airports and then worrying about it being damaged or even arriving. You definately need a cart to fit it on. It's also a nuisance there, as if you place it upright you can't see where you are going, widthways you are constantly asking people to move out of the way. One tip, secure the bike to the cart with a long bungy as the damn thing never balances correctly. At check in, slip the bunjy in the bikebag as security will probably not let you through with it in hand baggage. I'm hiring on my next trip to Mallorca as it's not worth the hassle anymore.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Just to confirm:

It's not a Gatwick thing. It's a Norwegian Airline thing.
For example easyJet, British Airways and SAS fly from Gatwick and do not have the requirement of bikes in boxes but not bags AFAIK.

It's only a Norwegian thing if you're flying out of Gatwick.
For example Norwegian flights out of any other airport they fly from do not have the requirement.

Simonhill, yes I could have pursued it, but as I wasn't planning to fly to Norway in the immediate future it was a backburner thing and I didn't.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Ferny

Post by Ferny »

Hello all.

I'm just about to go to Sweden for the summer on Norwegian airlines with my bike and came across this issue. Found the discussion here helpful - and think I may have come up with a solution.

I called Left Luggage on 01293 569 900, and they were very helpful. They have a special extra-tough cardboard box for bikes. Sounds like the sort of think that Gatwick (or was it Norwegian?) had in mind when they brought in this mysterious rule. Costs £25, which may sound steep but nonetheless more appealing than the Evoc Bike Bag (£280).

In the South Terminal, this can be bought at the Left Luggage section in ARRIVALS near Costa Coffee, which is fortunately not far from departures. To be on the safe side, I reserved a box in my name because sometimes they can get sold out.

If anyone is still in the process of lobbying Norwegian, perhaps they might at least consider making this information available.

I'll let you know in a few months' time if this process has been successful or not...
Ferny

Post by Ferny »

Regarding the question why Norwegian charge more for the sports luggage than for extra weight luggage, I wonder if it's something to do with Union rights and weight. I recall some complication to do with ski luggage within Scandinavia, where union rights, heavy luggage and workers' backs were cited, so perhaps that's what's going on here?
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Ferny wrote:I called Left Luggage on 01293 569 900, and they were very helpful. They have a special extra-tough cardboard box for bikes.

That's good to know as a back-up option at other places too - the same company is at heathrow and Manchester also.
Ferny

Post by Ferny »

Ouf! Am glad I didn't leave it till the airport before I tried to take off the pedals and loosen the handlebars with my multi tool set.

Tip for ladies (and probably gents too):
Unless you are either a) super strong or b) can carry a long 15mm wrench, 6mm hex key, ring spanner and hammer (to knock down the handlebar bolt) you may want to do as I did and make sure it's all loosened up before you set off to the airport. I found I couldn't get enough leverage to turn the pedals and handlebar bolt with the multi tool set, so had to borrow equipment/ muscles. Think I would have been stumped at the airport had I not done so.
TOP Team

Post by TOP Team »

An update related to an old tread:

@excess-baggage.com at Gatwick says in an email:
"We also sell Bike boxes at £25.00 per box. If you require them please send me an email and I will make the we have the quantity in stock you need."

Does anyone have any updated info if a box is needed to fly Norwegian out of LGW or will a plastic bag do?