Dieppe to Paris camping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
freerider

Dieppe to Paris camping

Post by freerider »

Hello, just wondering if anybody who has done the Donald Hirsch route ( http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.pdf ) can inform me if there are any additional campsites to the ones noted in that document, or indeed if it is possible to nature camp on route?

Any information would be much appreciated.
DonaldHirsch

Re: Dieppe to Paris camping

Post by DonaldHirsch »

I have recently put up a bit more camping info - including one I've just heard of near DIeppe and a bit of info on Triel sur Seine. Will be doing the route myself next month and camping at Brighton and Triel. (Have a free offer of B and B in between!) Donald
freerider

Post by freerider »

Hi Donald. thank you very much for assembling the guide, I very much look forward to my trip.

If you havnt already booked a campsite i know of a good site about a 10 minute ride away from newhaven ferry port, on the seafront by bishopstone rail station, but i can't remember for the life of me what it is called
schollster

Post by schollster »

I did this route last year, camping in Newhaven, Forges-les-Eaux and Triel-sur-Seine. It took me a while to find the campsite in Triel-sur-Seine and it had closed by the time I got there so I ended up wild camping next to the lake - lovely spot to camp, but also right next to a footpath so try to be discreet and leave early if you go that route!

Donald - thanks also for the guide, I found it to be incredibly helpful! I particularly enjoyed the forest tracks into Paris, though did get a little lost after making a detour via Versailles...
freerider

Post by freerider »

Hi Schollster, many thanks for the information, those are the exact same stages i aim to do the route in. Did you take any additional maps with you / is it necessary too?

Also i am wondering if you booked in advance for the ferry or just turned up on the day / how much did the ferry cost?

Many thanks
schollster

Post by schollster »

I had GPS with Google maps on my phone as a backup, but didn't end up using it much I think. It's a bit tricky towards the end, but if you're careful and keep checking the map you should be ok! I guess if you do get lost without a more detailed map it could be hard to get back on route though.

I booked the ferry in advance, cost me £28.50, but it seems to be a bit cheaper now. Not sure how easy it is to get a ticket on the day, someone else might know better...

When are you leaving? I'm planning on doing the same route (as part of a bigger trip) in a couple of weeks probably.
freerider

Post by freerider »

I havn't got a date in mind yet, i live only 30miles from newhaven though, so when ever me and my brother get 4 days free we are just going to get up and go (not fussed about doing the london to newhaven part of the ride).
spenceey

Post by spenceey »

freerider wrote:Hello, just wondering if anybody who has done the Donald Hirsch route ( http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.pdf ) can inform me if there are any additional campsites to the ones noted in that document, or indeed if it is possible to nature camp on route?

Any information would be much appreciated.

We cycled this route last year. If your ferry is late night we cycled till we hit the first forest, must have been about 2-3am then bivi bagged it up for the night in there. The second night we camped in a huge forest just outside Lalandelle

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lalandell ... 3&t=h&z=12

From there we got in to Paris, spent a night on a park bench as we arrived a day early (Wouldn't recommend!) after that we spent 2 nights at the camp site just outside Paris which I believe is outlined in the Donald Hirsch route.

Then camped in the same forest at Lalandelle on the way back and tried to sleep on the ferry before the horrible cycle back through central London.
chrissmith

Post by chrissmith »

Aquaintances living in Paris say that there is a good camp site in Versailles reasonably near the station, so you can return to/from Paris on local trains. Please note that the Hotel du Nord Pari- Velo no longer offers secure cycle storage, as we learned to our cost, only the loan of strong locks to lock your bike to the bike stands outside the hotel in a rather dodgy street.
IanCh

Post by IanCh »

I did this route in June with 12 riders. The bit from Poissy through the forests is great but I was so worried about getting lost that I printed blown up google maps of this bit and traced the route in highlighter pen. I also went along the route using google street view and made route cards showing all the landmarks, road names and direction signs. Sad, I know, but it got us from Poissy to Paris without one wrong turning.
bikehiker

Post by bikehiker »

There's a campsite at Neufchatel-en-Bray called Camping St Claire. It's shown on Google and it's right beside the Voie Verte.
See http://www.camping-sainte-claire.com/
groberts

Post by groberts »

My wife & I go to the Martigny Des Rivieres site each year just south of Dieppe and cycle locally - it is beautiful + I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.camping-2-rivieres.com/gb/visite.htm

It's located about 7 miles south of the ferry terminal best accessed from the D154 when checking in - good campsites either by the river or alternatively next to the many lakes + v good facilities. Going through the rear gate by the watersports centre, it also has direct access to the Avenue Verte for Paris. If you don't want to cook, this year a small bistro has opened about 2-miles along the D154 (turn left out the main gate) serving great 3-course meals for about 10 Euros each.

Another Paris route you might want to consider (though a bit longer) is via the Canal L'Ourcq from the east - an off road but well paved, very nice way into the City - let me know if you want details.
Robert

Post by Robert »

DonaldHirsch wrote:I have recently put up a bit more camping info - including one I've just heard of near DIeppe and a bit of info on Triel sur Seine. Will be doing the route myself next month and camping at Brighton and Triel. (Have a free offer of B and B in between!) Donald

Excellent guide. Thank you. I'm not intending to ride to Paris, but I've downloaded the first section of the .gpx file which is very helpful.
freerider

Post by freerider »

so three years after starting this topic I finally got around to cycling to Paris. many thanks again to Donald for the guide - we found it very easy to follow! I am now hooked on cycling tours and am dreaming up the next one! (suggestions welcome)
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Recently completed this too. Last section into paris is excellent. Overall i surprised at how varied it was.