Round The Coast Of Britain

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Keith Shuttlewood

Re: Round The Coast Of Britain

Post by Keith Shuttlewood »

I did a tour of Britain in 2008 although I didn’t stick exclusively to the coast as some coastal roads are not very pleasant to ride. You may find my site useful with your planning.

http://www.activeimagephotography.com/g ... index.html

Keith.
PW

Post by PW »

I met a chap named Nick Hand who was doing this in 2009. I believe his website is titled "Slowcoast" (got his card somewhere but can't find it right now :oops: ).
You may see a pic of him on a Brooks saddles ad in the magazine.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
jaz

Post by jaz »

I'm also thinking about doing a round Britain tour next spring/summer, work permitting. I've already got a rough idea of a route for Cornwall to Lincolnshire, which comes to a whopping 3500 miles. I may leave the remaining part for a separate trip, depending on how long I can get to do it, or carry on round East Anglia & the South Coast. I've got average daily mileage of just under 50 miles at the moment. I might cut this down a bit.

This will be a monumental undertaking for me - I'm really a weekend cyclist, though I have done a couple of short tours in Scotland, which were an absolute joy.

I'm also a keen hill walker, so my route takes me through most of the main walking areas. I definitely won't be hung up about sticking to the coast. I'm under no illusions that this will be tough, but I can't wait for the challenge.

The key for me is to be able to take my time, stop off and do some peaks, laze on a beach for an hour if I want to. I'm very early days in terms of planning, so reading the blogs linked to in this thread and general advice is really useful, thanks all! Main headache at the moment is what type of bike, but that's for a different thread...
jaz

Post by jaz »

Well I just completed my round Britain tour. It was a fantastic experience, not least because of the kindness and generosity I encountered along the way.

I didn't stick to the coast, in fact I went quite far inland, to take in the Peak District for example. The entire tour came to 4700 miles and included all of the national parks.

For insomniacs out there , I'll be writing a "post-blog" of my experiences. I'm still a novice cyclist (the technical bike stuff leaves me cold), but if anyone is thinking of doing something similar I'd be more than happy to share any experiences/tips/pitfalls.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

Also useful might be http://www.bing.com

Microsoft's answer to Google but the maps of the UK include the complete 1:50,000 and 1:25:000 OS maps.
E25
toekneep

Post by toekneep »

We have just returned from our tour around the coast of Britain. The story is here if anyone is interested: http://www.gillandtony.co.uk
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

toekneep wrote:We have just returned from our tour around the coast of Britain. The story is here if anyone is interested: http://www.gillandtony.co.uk

I stumbled upon this rather late, however I can highly recommend this wonderful blog about a fascinating journey. No, hold on, a fascinating blog about a wonderful journey.

In many ways I'm glad I didn't catch this from the start as I'm not sure I could have coped with the suspense between some of the entries if I'd been reading "live".

Has Vera gone home yet?
toekneep

Post by toekneep »

Thanks for the nice feedback. Vera has had a bit of TLC at our local garage and she will be going home tomorrow,
horizon

Post by horizon »

Penfolds11 wrote:a fascinating blog about a wonderful journey.

+ 1
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Excellent site. I'm looking to do around the coast at some point, maybe next summer when I get back.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk