Yorkshire Dales Cycle Way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rapidfire72

Yorkshire Dales Cycle Way

Post by rapidfire72 »

I'm planning to cycle the Yorkshire Dales Cycle-Way next month, camping. However, I have the Harvey's map, which has got plenty of detail on it.

What, I'm looking is the camp sites along the route, probably in the areas of Grassington, Hawes and Swaledale.

Anyone, done this route, any suggestions welcomed.
awparker

Re: Yorkshire Dales Cycle Way

Post by awparker »

I have not done the Yorkshire Dales Cycle Way as a complete route but have over the years done most of the sections.

Last year I stayed at Bainbridge Ings campsite near Hawes and earlier this year stayed at Masons campsite at Appletreewick south of Grassington. Both of these sites where fine for an overnight stay and were very welcoming to cyclists.

Another site I have passed by but not stayed at was Usha Gap at Muker. It certainly looked OK.

You will find details of all of these sites on

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

Hope this helps

Alan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I'd second the Bainbridge Ings campsite. By far the best on the Pennine Way
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Thanks, Masons camp site at Appletreewick and Bainbridges, Hawes, sounds fine. I remember Usha Gap on the Coast to Coast was the other year, being a nice setting. I might have to extend the ride north to Middleton in Teesdale and follow the Tees back to Stockton on Tees.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

The YD route is really nice. Some steep climbs but also some long swoops down the dales. There's a campsite behind the Green Dragon in Hardraw near Hawes. It comes with ensuite pub and waterfall.
awparker

Post by awparker »

If you do stay at Mason's campsite in Appletreewick a couple of points.

First a useful mobile shop calls each morning at about 8.30 am - there is no shop on site or in the village.

Secondly I can recommend the New Inn (second pub as you turn right on leaving the campsite. Good food and beer and welcome cyclists (see http://www.bikelivery.com)

Have a good trip

Alan
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

First of all, is the Yorkshire Dale Cycle Way has shifted to the August month. I'm going to combine the Yorkshire Dales ride with the coast to coast, in which I will have 2 weeks to cycle the route. I'm walking the Cleveland Way instead.
boblo

Post by boblo »

Slight hijack...

Anyone got a PDF or GPX of the route please?
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

Since I can't find a single write-up about this route elsewhere, this seems as good a place as any. I rode the entire route on Wednesday-Thursday this week, with the exception of the hop over to Swaledale from Hawes (about a 10 mile net loss). It's a marvellous journey. I broke my ride with a stay in Dent at the really excellent George & Dragon (very bike and cyclist friendly, good stay). I used the Sustrans map, no great need for an OS backup.
I was slightly ambitious in thinking I could do the whole route over two days, lightly laden with two panniers, for there are not only some steep climbs but a large number of short, stiff ones too. My first day (Skipton - Appletreewick - Malham - Settle - Ingleton - Dent) was troubled with some heavy showers but anything more, such as a headwind would have meant an even longer time than my 8.5 hours for this 60 miles. This is serious riding, with quite a lot of routefinding in the early stages, although most turns are signed with the helpful blue sheep roadsign. The two big climbs, out of Malham and Ingleton, are time-consuming, and very slow, especially if laden. There's also a steep initial climb out of Skipton over toward Barden Tower, which is a bit daunting and surprising as an early test, but a glorious sweep down the other side had me touching the brakes at 40 mph. So many pretty and quiet villages follow. I lunched in Malham in a downpour which miraculously stopped to allow escape, and Malham Tarn looked serene just before another shower arrived. Memories abound, and there are many from both days which will stay with me forever.
Be careful of the sheep, which tend to walk out in front of you; dead rabbits lie on the road by the thousand; and it would be useful to be aware that overtaking vehicles are often towing trailers or horseboxes - just as you think 'it's passed me', there's an extra rattling wagon close by (and these are often tight lanes - but the route is beautifully designed to avoid most traffic).
Day 1 ended by the ascent of Kingsdale from Ingleton, on which I must confess to stopping half way up (first time in years), but no car passed me in 9 miles so only the sheep were witnesses. The descent into Dentdale is breathtaking, though my Tektro cantis weren't up to the job and I walked down some steep sections (gates round corners surprise you too).
Day 2 started with a meandering saunter up past Cowgill to the viaduct and a short but steep climb over to the Hawes-Ingleton road. The moors are wide open, and a long descent to Hawes was a reward. I realised I just couldn't fit in (or face) the extra climb over to Swaledale, travel a few miles down the valley and then climb back again (two extra climbs of maybe 1200 feet in all), so I travelled on through the relatively flat Wensleydale scenery to Askrigg, Redmire (the incongruous Castle Bolton seems peculiarly out of place here), to Wensley, where the route was rejoined. A stiff and rather grinding steep hill takes you up into the undulating (but mostly uphill) stretch of Coverdale, which is a glorious and so very quiet valley. In Horsehouse, the smallest of hamlets (maybe 10 buildings?) with a tiny pub, I met my village postman from Huddersfield coming out as I went in to buy a bowl of soup. The rest of this valley was my weakest point - a long and tough pull up for several miles with a stiff headwind which meant that even on the level I couldn't get above 4 mph. Have to confess to walking some of the last half mile. The descent down Park Rash into Kettlewell is extremely steep, with two very tight hairpins and pretty dicey if your brakes are not the best, so I again walked down there; no wonder it gets a rating of 9/10 in the Greatest Hill Climbs book. No cafe open in Kettlewell (the one they had has apparently closed) so I battled on, now with pleasure, to Grassington along the valley floor. A piece of treacle tart in the sun fortified me, and I carried on down to Hebden, Appletreewick (nodding in the direction where my grandfather John Kilburn's ashes were scattered in the Wharfe about 40 years ago) then Bolton Abbey; and at that point the right turn (no route sign, nb) leads up to one of the nicest stretches of all, a short open road over grassland; with the teatime sun out I felt happy. Faster average speed of 11 mph today, 69 miles.
I parked in the long-stay carpark in Skipton, in Cavendish St, and it costs £13. Any questions, just ask. It's a tough but glorious ride, and if you're laden, take at least 3 days (if you're fit), or longer if you can. I'd suggest staying in Dent, then maybe somewhere in lower Wensleydale, to split the route roughly into 60-40-40 miles, and enjoy a bit more leisure along the way. I saw very few cyclists, and interestingly, no-one at all I could see doing the same route, which is a surprise, because it really deserves to be enjoyed. Simon
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

This could be still on the cards, instead of coast to coast walk. Mate wants to do the Lyke Wake Walk in August, so I need to re-think holiday plans. So, could be the Yorkshire Dales Cycle Way.
awparker

Post by awparker »

Rapidfire72

Glad you had a good time on this trip but sorry you could not find a cafe in Kettlewell as when I was there earlier this year there were two operating.

The first is at the bottom of the village near the carpark and the second source of refreshment is the village store doing take away tea/coffee at the top of the village near the Youth Hostel. If your timing is particularly lucky you may find ladies of the local Women's Institute in the village hall serving "considerably bigger buns" - see reference in the film "Calendar Girls"!

Alan
Tony Paddler

Post by Tony Paddler »

Hi.
I’m doing the YDCW as a two day B&B trip this weekend.
Does anyone know of a reason I shouldn’t do it ANTI-clockwise?
Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Tony.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Tony Paddler wrote:Hi.
I’m doing the YDCW as a two day B&B trip this weekend.
Does anyone know of a reason I shouldn’t do it ANTI-clockwise?
Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Tony.

Only that you go up the hard way up Park Rash near Kettlewell and the climb out of Dentdale is very challenging in that direction. It’s a great route with some fantastic scenery but don’t underestimate the hills!
Tony Paddler

Post by Tony Paddler »

Oops, I’ve just spotted the notification alert!

Thanks very much Geocycle, and my apologies for the late reply.

Oh yes, I know about the Dales hills, I cycle them a few times each year but wanted a structured weekender.
I haven’t ridden it yet, my friend hurt her knee and living only an hour away from Reeth I can pick another suitable weekend easily. Getting b&b accommodation around Settle for only a Saturday is hard work mind!

Thanks again, Tony.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Might be worth checking that the route is currently passable. I think there was a fair bit or road damage in the Grinton area recently, but I can't work out exactly which roads have been closed as a result (sorry!).

I did the route a few years ago (clockwise) camping at Goredale (near Malham), Dent, Redmire and Appletreewick, rode out (and back) from home near Huddersfield. It's a really nice route (though with some stiff hills). I remember the ride through Coverdale into wind and rain being particularly challenging!