St Malo - Athens

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mattie

St Malo - Athens

Post by Mattie »

Maps open and looking at lots of options for a long 2-3 month summer tour - including St Malo to Athens.

Looking at the route there are obviously a few options so just wondered if there are any recommendations; crossing from France into Southern Germany or Switzerland; - then Bosnia Herzegovina or Serbia Montenegro - or follow the Croatia coast - or down through Italy and then the ferry across.

Maybe the Black Forest of Southern Germany is worth a visit rather than Bern, Basel and Zurich.

All ideas gratefully received. :)
Barrenfluffit

Re: St Malo - Athens

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Black forest is certainly worth visiting; its an area of steep hills, grassy slopes, wooden houses and obviously trees. Very pretty.

The choice route wise is the Italy vs the Balkans. The Italy route is likely to mean crossing the Alps but means a different type of journey with most of it passing through Italy. Although the Croation coastal route looks appealing I hear that the lack of alternative roads and heavy traffic makes it grim.

I'd definitely go the Balkan route unless I was in a hurry.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I drove around the Balkans in 2000. The Croatian coast was horrible for traffic, but the rest was delightful.
apsykes

Post by apsykes »

Hi
I cycled from the UK to Brindisi last summer following the Eurovėlo 5 via Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Basel, Milan & Rome. Full details at http://www.eurovelo5.com . My plan for 2013 is to cycle Eurovėlo 8, the route from Athens to Cadiz in Spain (much longer!) and if you choose to cycle to Greece via the Balkans, I'd love to know how you get on, especially through Albania.
Good luck!
Andrew
Andrew P. Sykes
0(044)7970278569
apsykes@hotmail.com
http://CyclingEurope.org
Author of 'Good Vibrations: Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie'
"A wonderful, witty account of a cycle tour across Europe" (CTC)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Thank you for your comments, I did not realise that the Croatian coast was so busy with traffic so that rules that out as a route.

I am inclined to agree with you then that the Balkans route would be the best option. They have some history, I am sure it would be an interesting place to travel through - Islam meets Orthodox Christianity meets Eastern bloc legacy meets the European Union.

Also like the idea of being freer to pick a route through these countries rather than following the coast of Italy where you may not have so many options. The idea of riding out of my house, down the road to the ferry, and then cycling all the way to Athens is very appealing. Southern Germany also looks like the preferred route.

Better get reading up on the Balkans, and getting a few more miles in these winter legs, ready for a mid July departure.

P.S - Andrew - I read some of your journal, written with humour, and look forward to getting a copy of your book if I see it in the shops. Good luck.
apsykes

Post by apsykes »

Thanks for the kind words Mattie; they have earned you a mention on my website http://www.apsykes.com !!
Happy cycling
Andrew
Andrew P. Sykes
0(044)7970278569
apsykes@hotmail.com
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well I made it !

[url]Image/url]

Total mileage cycled 1,838
(plus some ferry mileage from Dubrovnik to Patras)
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

:D good work but tell us how it went!
apsykes

Post by apsykes »

Congratulations on getting there Matt! My book isnn't yet in the shops but you can get it on Amazon if you follow this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Vibrations ... B005HHSY4U . I'll look forward to yours being publsihed so I can compare notes! Cheers.
Andrew P. Sykes
0(044)7970278569
apsykes@hotmail.com
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It went very well. I cycled St Malo in France to Dubrovnik in Croatia, and then ferried it down to Patras and then cycled on to Athens, so missed out Albania.

Link:

It was very hot after arriving in Italy in August and it never cooled down until arriving back in the UK ! I cannot remember a single day , from Lake Garda in Italy, to Athens, when the temperatures were not in the 30 degree C range. I can remember a few ocassions when it hit 40 degrees. So most of the cycling day was in the hot sun, that is why most of my pictures the crash helmet is on the bike because I am wearing a wide sun hat !

The Croatia coast was ok, plenty of traffic on some parts, but well behaved and plenty of room for us all to get along with each other. It would be great to do that length of coast on a motorcycle (I might do that !) as it is a bit boring day after day on the same coast road - I think it took me about a week to get through Croatia. But there are plenty of campsites and restaurants and facilities, which is the reason for choosing that route. The top part, before Split, is the most barren and German and Italian seemed to be spoken more readily than English. I did not really find the Croatians that engaging to me as a solo cyclist, a bit dissmisive. The Italians were much mor engaging to me as a solo cyclist, including a few occasions when I was jokingly advised to put a "motori" in it !

In short I like France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Greece but Croatia I was glad to leave.
Last edited by Mattie on 2 Nov 2011, 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Just read your blog. Well done, it looks like you enjoyed yourself and "toured". Pleased to hear the GPS+laptop strategy worked out and glad that I took the train up to Titisee!

Ironic that escaping from the cool and threat of rain got you meant endless sunshine and heat..